The Watchmen

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

The Watchmen

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I saw it on IMAX last night and it was alright. I only read part of the comic but from what I read and saw the movie is really close to the source material atleast in the first part of the book I read. The movie is fairly long and gets somewhat boring and overly complicated towards the end but I enjoyed it for the most part. Dr. Manhatten just doesn't fit very well in movies especially with his flopping dick all over the place which wasn't really needed but whatever. I basically rarely understood what the hell he was talking about since he like showed no emotion so it was like a robot but I guess it was like that in the book.

The only characters I liked a lot in the movie were the comedian and Rorsach or however you spell his name. The fight scenes were okay but nothing to write home about but the sex scenes were pretty good and the girl who plays the main girl is pretty hot. Some people have complained about the music choices but I thought they fit okay since it was the 80's despite some of the song were kind of shit. Also wtf was that tiger thing in the end? They didn't really explain that and it looked stupid as fuck.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Hoping to see it tonight/today. Depending on if my mate is still being a whiny cunt about the price of a movie ticket.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

i've read the comic, so it's like, well, what's the point?

also, the voice of rorscach in the trailer is too gravelly
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Is that really batman that is in it?
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

The blue tiger was The blonde dude's pet. It was a genetically engineered cross between a lynx and a smurf or something. If you've taken time to read the book, there isn't much reason to see the movie. It's kind of a visual cliff notes to the book.

As someone who read the book, the movie was a bit pointless. A well done film for the most part, but not really that great.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

MR Snake wrote:Is that really batman that is in it?
It looks and sounds like batman.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

I thought it was pretty good, nothing spectacular, but entertaining nonetheless. Rorshach and Nite Owl were very well done, and the other cast choices were good.

I think its the best adaptation of Moore's work thus far, as I found V for Vendetta and From Hell to be rather shit.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

spokomptonjdub wrote:I thought it was pretty good, nothing spectacular, but entertaining nonetheless. Rorshach and Nite Owl were very well done, and the other cast choices were good.

I think its the best adaptation of Moore's work thus far, as I found V for Vendetta and From Hell to be rather shit.
V for vendetta shit? Back to your cave, V for Vendetta was very good.
Edward_R_Murrow
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Edward_R_Murrow »

No squid, Silk Spectre is too hotted up, Veidt doesn't look like a total space cadet, and Nite Owl isn't a fat, impotent loser, so it seems to be missing a lot of the points. I guess if I want to see a lot of slow-mo CGI violence interspersed with sex scenes as directed by John Woo then it would be worth watching, but nah....not into that.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

For the comments saying "I've read the book so meh" - I agree completely.

Also - that is the point of a movie adaptation - to be as close to the subject / source material as possible. It should *make* you go "what's the point" because it's faithful.

Unlike a grocery list of shit "adaptations" that I've seen in the last ten years.

A Boy and His Dog was a good example of a faithful adaptation, down to the cannibalism at the end ( :jerk: )
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Edward_R_Murrow wrote:No squid, Silk Spectre is too hotted up, Veidt doesn't look like a total space cadet, and Nite Owl isn't a fat, impotent loser.
Aside from the squid part, were you watching the same fucking movie? If you're gonna complain, complain about actual things instead of your dumb misperceptions.

Compared to what the studios wanted this movie to be, Watchmen is an acomplishment.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I haven't read the book, but I thought the movie was pretty good. I read a little on the interwebs about the squid and thought it was stupid as fuck, and the movie version of it was much better thought out and more plausible.

Rorshach was easily the best character, followed by Dr. Manhattan. Both of them should have had more screen time, with a lot less time for Night Owl.

The music was alright, but it definitely could have been better. I know Snyder was trying to go for originals, but the version of Hallelujah where owl is bonking whatshername was godawful. The Jeff Buckley version is really the only good version of that song I like.

So yeah, definitely worth seeing it on IMAX.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

But is that Batman in the movie? THIS IS THE QUESTION!
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

MR Snake wrote:But is that Batman in the movie? THIS IS THE QUESTION!
That's something the little kids would ask during the previews. By the way there was a ton of little kidsi n the theater with their parents who were like "ewww" when they saw Dr. Manhattens flopping penis.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Edward_R_Murrow
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Edward_R_Murrow »

Wolfman Walt wrote:Aside from the squid part, were you watching the same fucking movie? If you're gonna complain, complain about actual things instead of your dumb misperceptions.
Only saw the trailer, so I don't have the full story, but it looks like the director/casting crew went for the "younger, sexier, edgier" look with a few of the characters when they weren't supposed to look that way. They could make it up through characterization in the movie though. Still probably not too interested in seeing it though.
I read a little on the interwebs about the squid and thought it was stupid as fuck, and the movie version of it was much better thought out and more plausible.
It does sound stupid at first, but i you think about it, it does make a bit more sense. As a reader/viewer, you're pretty detached from the world, so when the plan is revealed to be a giant, psychic, Cthulu-squid Veidt made, you're probably like "What?". But to a person in the story, seeing that something like that happen is scary and unknown enough to force them to come together. The whole idea was that is was so...unexplainable. It's like the Sopranos ending, everyone hates it at first, but then it makes a little more sense.

To be fair though, the squid wouldn't have done well at all with the typical movie-going audience. But making a multi-million dollar blockbuster film out of a niche comic book....how :pete: of them....
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I'll see it next weekend. One of my favorite comics.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I really enjoyed it, and it actually pisses me off that so many big names gave it bad reviews. The only thing that was left without explanation was the Egyptian feline near the end, but I figure it was probable in connection with Ozymandias as an Egyptian reference. But definitely, Rorshach stood out the most.

I'm torrenting the comics asap, if the worm infecting my computer will allow it.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

How horrid. :drunk:
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

The cat was a genetic experiment - and it wasn't even really explained in the book FYI (for the last time hopefully)
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

It's mentioned that Veidt industries messes with genetics. He's a genetically engineered Lynx.
Our Host!