Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 remake

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Apocalypse 2077
Regular
Regular

Fallout 1 & Fallout 2 remake

Post by Apocalypse 2077 »

Having played through the first few missions of Fallout 3, I've come to realise a couple of things but mainly Fallout 3 is not Fallout. It's great fun, very true to the legacy and a real homage, but it makes me miss the originals. For some unknown reason my new computer can't run Fallout or Fallout 2. This all started me thinking.

Sortly after Half Life 2 came out they used the source engine to remake the original game using the new and updated graphics. It would be nice if someone or a group of somebodies could get together and remake Fallout using the new engine featured in Fallout 3. While I myself can't do much more than through this idea out in to the wastes to see if someone picks it up that's better than nothing.

I reckon that Fallout would be easier to remake (simply because of it's size) but who knows if this idea really takes off then maybe a remake of Fallout 2 could make an appearance, but hey it's better to walk before you can run, eh?

First off, though this idea has to survive even being mentioned. So think about that before you shoot it down. Even if you don't like it the idea that's no reason to flame this post. Well... we'll just have to wait and see. Does anyone think this is a good idea or at all possible?
After Y2K the end of the world became a cliche... there are now only personal apocalypses... - Max Payne

I love the smell of napalm in the morning! - Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore, Apocalypse now
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=1593

The new engine is shit, so why bother?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Also, while replaying Fallout 2 about 6 months before Fallout 3's release (and having little knowledge of what the third game would be like) I thought to myself, "It sure would suck if there was no quick travel and I had to walk through all this wasteland."
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Apocalypse 2077
Regular
Regular

Post by Apocalypse 2077 »

but Retlaw83, you can quick travel in Fallout 3. Just double click on a location you've already been to and then it should offer the chance for you to do so. I didn't realise I could do this at first but it shaved a lot of walking off my time.
After Y2K the end of the world became a cliche... there are now only personal apocalypses... - Max Payne

I love the smell of napalm in the morning! - Lieutenant Colonel Kilgore, Apocalypse now
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Apocalypse 2077 wrote:but Retlaw83, you can quick travel in Fallout 3. Just double click on a location you've already been to and then it should offer the chance for you to do so. I didn't realise I could do this at first but it shaved a lot of walking off my time.
Not talking about the quick travel between settlements in Fallout 3. I'm talking about the travel mode in the original games, where you'd go through the wasteland using an overhead map while watching the days tick by on the counter.

Could you imagine having to WALK from say, LA to Reno with no quick travel option on account of you not having discovered one of them yet?
- the Vault Dweller
Simplywayne90
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Simplywayne90 »

In Fallout 3 it wasn't so bad since there were tons of landmarks and buildings to explore.
In New Vegas I refuse to walk, its boring since its a wasteland with nothing to look at really, nothing to catch your interest.

Anyways back to the original post, there is a remake of the Classics fallouts in the new series. The project started in Fallout 3 and has moved on to New Vegas since its more like the original Fallouts.

The project is named Fallout 2162 I think.
Then I came up with methods on how to improve the new fallouts a long time ago, and just recently joined just to post them here at the famous Duck and Cover. So far all I've posted is about the special encounters but I always felt they were a big part of fallout personally.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

If it wasn't for the different IP address, I'd swear this is Cakester.
- the Vault Dweller
Simplywayne90
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Simplywayne90 »

My mistake the mod is called Fallout 2161. Here is a link to the ModDB page for it.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/fallout-2161

The last update was a month ago and the voice acting is pretty bad but so far the content they are making seems above amatuer and actually feels like work from a studio.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Retlaw83 wrote:If it wasn't for the different IP address, I'd swear this is Cakester.
proxy
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

He hasn't used one before.
- the Vault Dweller
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Not here perhaps.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Not on other places neither. Smartass :)

He's not a troll and for someone who's not following every snippet of Fallout news the thought crossing his mind is only natural.

Sure, travelling through the massive wasteland would - like Retlaw suggests - be a pain in the ass.
But as Retlaw sure knows but is to stubborn to admit there are wasy to circumvent this thing in Fallout 3.

Also I know that some people have made carriers of sorts to make travel easier and faster.

Personally I'd hate see the old legacy ruined by a half-arsed mod in a half-arsed game.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Username wrote:Not on other places neither. Smartass :)
Uh, yes, dipship. He's constantly invading #fallout calling people "men" and trying very hard not to look like a pathetic virgin.
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Insufferable idealist with no common sense wrote:From what we’ve briefly seen out in the community there is a desire to redo the original Fallout and Fallout 2 with the new Fallout 3 Engine. We think it’s important for new fans to see where it all began and see more of what really makes the Fallout genre great.
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Alister McFap II Esq. wrote:dipship
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

:rofl:

Delishuz.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Alister McFap II Esq. wrote:
Username wrote:Not on other places neither. Smartass :)
Uh, yes, dipship. He's constantly invading #fallout calling people "men" and trying very hard not to look like a pathetic virgin.

Yeah but he never denies he's Cakestar.

Will you share some of that dipship with me? :drunk:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Username wrote:Will you share some of that dipship with me? :drunk:

I'll pass. Not :drunk: enough.

And no, I didn't make that up. You can't make ship like that up.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

loool.

*The new and improved Titanic Dipship, cracks open easily and releases a warm 3 phazed taste of excellence*

Which reminds me off this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f720MNvOeVc

"If you don't fail enough the first time, fail again"
Poop have you seen this one? You see everything...
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Das ewige dipshipping. :che:
Our Host!