Fallout 3: Your thoughts

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:I may write a review if people are interested in one?
Go for it.

Connect 4.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

My opinion after the second walkthrough:
- biggest disappointment of 2008
- it's not what we waited for 10 years
- idiot dialogue options
- shitty stolen main story
- vats is annoying and only useful for small guns, energy weaps
- shitty vaults
- not enough weapons
- lifeless puppet npcs
- ghouls are zombies and super mutants are orcs now.
- tons of unanswered things
- there's no point to bring an npc with you
- pathetic AI
- not enough quests
- no gambling
- lvl limit is stupid
- idiot minigames: lockpicking and hacking are fucking annoying
- ingame music is shit

+ nice graphics
+ t51b power armor
+ some interesting side quests and places
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

The level 20 cap is annoying. Just another nail in the shit coffin though.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

Gecko wrote:My opinion after the second walkthrough:
- idiot dialogue options
- shitty vaults
- not enough weapons
- lifeless puppet npcs
- pathetic AI
- not enough quests
- no gambling
- lvl limit is stupid
- ingame music is shit

+ nice graphics
+ t51b power armor
It was really fun at first, looting, wandering around the ruins of some town. But it gets old really fast, the looting never ends for the leafblowers and scrap metal and the vats is seriously annoying.

I was playing it till the end for the secret stuff, but turns out the secrets all suck bigtime. Did not even get to do a skynet secret military base mission which is one of my favourite parts of fallout 2.

They do not make them like they used to.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

MR Snake wrote:
Gecko wrote:My opinion after the second walkthrough:
- idiot dialogue options
- shitty vaults
- not enough weapons
- lifeless puppet npcs
- pathetic AI
- not enough quests
- no gambling
- lvl limit is stupid
- ingame music is shit

+ nice graphics
+ t51b power armor
It was really fun at first, looting, wandering around the ruins of some town. But it gets old really fast, the looting never ends for the leafblowers and scrap metal and the vats is seriously annoying.

I was playing it till the end for the secret stuff, but turns out the secrets all suck bigtime. Did not even get to do a skynet secret military base mission which is one of my favourite parts of fallout 2.

They do not make them like they used to.
that is exactly the same with me. Except i may add, i put the fallout 1 and 2 music into fallout 3 and gives it a lot more fallout feel. I very much so miss the random encounters and interesting places. Mods might be the only thing that my keep this game out of the ground in a month. Hopefully they come out in time for me to be interested. Everyone knows what need to be improved. Just start working on them.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

MadBill wrote:The level 20 cap is annoying. Just another nail in the shit coffin though.
Seriously, why couldn't they keep the perk and trait system like how it was in the first two?

I can't figure out why they took traits out, they were the coolest thing in the games to me, because you had to figure out which ones you would be able to cope with best, because of both their plus and minus attributed to the trait, and the fact that in choosing it, it helps you feel more connected and like the actual character in the game because you're actually making it human by giving it a flaw.

I should reword that.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Probably gonna be modified with the first wave of downloadable content
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I heard a wild interwebster rumor, that the first DLC content would include a couple of new dungeons and rise the level cap up a bit.

It's just silly, though, that you get all this new content all the time, but you're unable to actually complete the game, because then the whole thing just ends. I'd love to have it Fallout 2 -way, so you could continue adventurign afterwards as well.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I never really continued my Fallout 2 game after I finished it, so I see it as a quite redundant feature. Of course, you shouldn't be able to finish the game "accidentally" and consequently miss out on most of the side quests.

I'd rather have the urge to start a new game instead.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah, the accidental side is the problem. But it's quite tricky, really, because it also sucks if it's made so way obvious: "Hey, come on! You really sure you want to go to this island X? You sure? Because THERE IS NO COMING BACK, luelz, it might like, END THIS ALL? Ok, you sure? OK, let's go to Boss Fig.. I mean Island X."
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

VasikkA wrote:I'd rather have the urge to start a new game instead.
Now that's the tricky part...
I miss the good ol' USSA.
Icabod
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Icabod »

FO3 was a big glossy piece of eye candy. The game relys too heavily on skills and not enough on core stats.

Strength is dumbed-down to only 10 pounds of equipment more per point. Perception is worthless because it does not effect your shooting ability. Charisma is worthless because the skill checks were nerfed down to rely only on speech. Intelligence is worthless because it doesn't effect the outcome of any quests. Agility is worthless if you played the game without vats like me (yes I reloaded ALOT). Luck is a throw away stat also because the main reason you took it in the earlier games was to get the cool ultra-rare random encounters that boosted your characters potency by many fold.

So what's left? Endurance and skill checks. Yes! I can make an unarmed ninja character in a post-apocolyptic morrowind.

Not to mention they made power armor useless compared to other stupid looking armors.
First Force
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by First Force »

ok, i was at fileplanet a couple of days ago, and there are some mods for FO3 but no developer tools...... so wassup, where the hell did they come from?
You are losing it, doesn`t matter, let`s close our eyes and wake up from this dream.....
-------------------------------
Never attribute to malice what can satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.
-------------------------------
Gecko
Respected
Respected

Post by Gecko »

First Force wrote:ok, i was at fileplanet a couple of days ago, and there are some mods for FO3 but no developer tools...... so wassup, where the hell did they come from?
You can make mods for the game without the toolkit but you have to be a lifeless nerd.
Bethesda officially reached the Uwe Boll level in my eyes. They make shit and earn billions with it like uwe boll...
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Kashluk wrote:Yeah, the accidental side is the problem. But it's quite tricky, really, because it also sucks if it's made so way obvious: "Hey, come on! You really sure you want to go to this island X? You sure? Because THERE IS NO COMING BACK, luelz, it might like, END THIS ALL? Ok, you sure? OK, let's go to Boss Fig.. I mean Island X."
Yeah, it was a bit untasteful to have things end with the giant SUPArobot absolutely violating everything in its wake. STOLE MY KILL, NICCA

In any case, I hope the DLC, first wave or successive one, gives you the ability to have a bit more expansive playtime without having the bullshit limitation... then again, I think Beth has been extremely worried about their lifespans should the game fail-- I've seen a few different interviews that said they have been seeing what they could take from NMA and DaC; Hopefully, they'll be listening to this, if not having already heard the complaints.

It'll get figured out, sooner or later.
SenisterDenister

Post by SenisterDenister »

Manoil wrote:...I've seen a few different interviews that said they have been seeing what they could take from NMA and DaC...
I'd like to see a link for that.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

the Fallout 3 website. There's a link to it on http://Bethsoft.com

Then again, I think it might have been primarily that Todd guy's interview. I don't think I read more than 4 of them, kinda got bored with it
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Them actually saying that, and then actually doing it/meaning it are entirely different things.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

I know, I know. He just seemed to express a bit of concern/fear in his words.

Anybody who's been here knows the Fallout fanbase is not to be fucked with.
Davaris
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Davaris »

Manoil wrote:I know, I know. He just seemed to express a bit of concern/fear in his words.

Anybody who's been here knows the Fallout fanbase is not to be fucked with.
Can you give us the title of that article?
Our Host!