Fallout 3: Your thoughts

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I like it a lot. It's a good game in it's own right - I'd even go so far as to call it a real Fallout game, despite it's problems - but Fallout 2 is better.

I'm half considering doing a write up on what I do and don't consider Fallout-like about it, but I'm lazy and I doubt people want to read another review biased towards the first two games anyway.

Although, it is my opinion that turn based combat and an isometric viewpoint aren't pre-requisites to make a game Fallout. Of much more importance to me is the general feel of what you're tasked to do and the dialogue, and the dialogue in F3 is a horrendous mixed bag. There's some places that are pretty brilliant, like Big Town, Little Lamplight and certain Brotherhood of Steel guys, like the dude who tells you about the Scourging of the Pitt, but then right after talking to these types you run into Random NPC #357 and English Major Raider #4.

While the variety in voices isn't that great, when these people voice main character NPCs and they do well and give them character, then you hear them do the voice of a random NPC and sounding like they're just reading what's on the paper in front of them, I can't help but feel the monotony is the fault of the audio director not telling them what they're supposed to sound like. If you talk to Arkansas or quite a few other named characters, you know they have voice actors capable of doing bad English convincingly. Only reason raiders would have not to sound like that is the voice actor not knowing they're voicing a raider.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

We were better off without you Retlaw D:
Icabod
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Icabod »

Retlaw83 wrote:*snip* If you talk to Arkansas or quite a few other named characters, you know they have voice actors capable of doing bad English convincingly. Only reason raiders would have not to sound like that is the voice actor not knowing they're voicing a raider.
Sorry, but how do I talk to arkansas? isn't he the guy that takes potshots at you with the sniper rifle in the first quest? This game must have more depth than I first thought...
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Icabod wrote: Sorry, but how do I talk to arkansas? isn't he the guy that takes potshots at you with the sniper rifle in the first quest? This game must have more depth than I first thought...
You can't have a conversation with him that I know of, but he was saying crap when he was attacking me.

Also, I wasn't aware he had anything to do with the "first quest". First time I ran into him was at level 10 or so and I had yet to find Paradise Falls.
Last edited by Retlaw83 on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
popscythe
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by popscythe »

Manoil wrote:Oh, I have. Quite thuroughly.
see? Irony isn't dead after all.
"I've decided that if positive affirmations can "cure cancer" then negative affirmations can cause cancer. Chant with me: Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard. Fuck you and Die, Todd Howard."
Icabod
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Icabod »

It's part of the "Wasteland survival guide" quest, pick it up at moira in megaton.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Another grievance. I know it can't just be me who finds all the character models to be somewhat unintimidating. I tried to make a badass-looking character and could not do it. A great example is the negro sheriff, who makes me laugh the first time I see him. I assume he is meant to be someone not to be fucked with, but his beard, and now that I think of it everybody else's beard, just sits on the face and honestly looks like a fake beard, and the cowboy hat just looks odd. The men of the wasteland all seem a bit 'soft'.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

I love how people keep on discovering the shittyness of Fallout 3. How :jacques cousteau:
���������
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Icabod wrote:It's part of the "Wasteland survival guide" quest, pick it up at moira in megaton.
In my playthrough, Megaton picked up a nuclear blast, so I shant be doing that.
- the Vault Dweller
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Dogmeatlives wrote:The men of the wasteland all seem a bit 'soft'.
And everyone has perfect posture, everyone is a healthy medium build, and the only difference between people who grew up in the wastes and vault dwellers is smudges of dirt.

Pisses me off, too.
- the Vault Dweller
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Dogmeatlives wrote:The men of the wasteland all seem a bit 'soft'.
And everyone has perfect posture, everyone is a healthy medium build, and the only difference between people who grew up in the wastes and vault dwellers is smudges of dirt.

Pisses me off, too.
It's like with movies about the middle ages. People always have teeth and don't look pest ridden enough. Having this said, I don't wanna sound like I'm defending Gunblivion or Bethesda - to hell with them! :chainsaw:
Icabod
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Icabod »

Retlaw83 wrote:
Icabod wrote:It's part of the "Wasteland survival guide" quest, pick it up at moira in megaton.
In my playthrough, Megaton picked up a nuclear blast, so I shant be doing that.
Well, you're not missing much, it's a megaton headache of a chain quest for a crappy little perk at the end.

Edit: Just found out, Moira survives the blast and becomes a ghoul, so I guess you can still get the perk if you want.
Last edited by Icabod on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

it's alright as an action game, but it suffers as a fallout title from some seriously frustrating setting inconsistencies
Psychoul
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Psychoul »

senisterdenister wrote:Nah, there weren't any cool car chases.

Shit, they didn't even have the leather jacket that was probably the coolest thing to wear in the previous Fallout games.
YES!! that was what i was thinking.. They needed more leather jackets that looked like Max's jacket !!! :drunk:
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

I'm going to wait until it's in the bargain bin.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Devil_Starr666
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Devil_Starr666 »

I beat it yesterday, shitty main quest for the most part, and all those crap views in V.A.T.S. sucked hard. I do like the fact that Dogmeat was available, and i liked the fact that it was a challenge to keep him alive against the Enclave. Good Oblivion mod, shitty Fallout game.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Devil_Starr666 wrote:Good Oblivion mod, shitty Fallout game.
:salute:

also - how did you manage to keep him alive - I need a few tips for the next evil playthrough - I was just trying to book it to Vault 87 (I think) and he ran off whenever he saw some enemy and it told me he died...

You would think a dog that has managed to survive in the Wasteland wouldn't chase after every damn deathclaw that shows up....???
Devil_Starr666
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Devil_Starr666 »

It wasnt easy, he died alot so I'd just reload. Sometimes that got annoying as hell, so I had to save stratigicly.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

the super mutant i just left at my home in megaton...wish i wouldve done that with the dog...
Our Host!