Fallout 1 install glitch (mac)

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Pfhortipfhy
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout 1 install glitch (mac)

Post by Pfhortipfhy »

Okay, I'm on an Intel Macbook OS 10.5.5. Just got Fallout, version 1.2.1. I can't do any of the official installs, cuz intel doesn't support Classic (OS9) anymore.

Anyway, I start up the game, and the screen only appears on the left quarter of the screen, and the colors are really fucked up. Any help?

EDIT: Screenshots yay! :dance:

http://img223.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... e10hz1.png
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Can't say for sure since I'm not a Mac person, but is there some sort of a "compatibility mode" available? The lower the better, I suppose. Or if there's some sort of a windows program emulator, you could try running it through that.
Pfhortipfhy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Pfhortipfhy »

There is no compatibility mode option.

Have people gotten this to run on intel? Finder says it's a ppc app, that may be my issue, but I hope not, because then I can't use my laptop.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Mac Compatibility Eras

Post by 4too »

Mac Compatibility Eras

Your OS 10.5.5 sees a PPC app and you mention the 'classic' OS 9 support. OS 9 crawled from the old 'Beige' Era when each Mac Model was a proprietary hardware dead end. 8-chip 30 pin ram, Mac version of SCSI for HD's.
OS 10 started on PPC's, curious about the possible hardware issue for a Unix based OS. Would think that some backward capability would be built in.

You mention 'classic' OS 9 support. Original FO port for Mac was OS 9 vintage. Not sure of that version number. Ver. 1.2.1. was OS 10.1 and up.

As for OS 10 and the OS 9 emulator?

Earlier versions of OS 10 had OS 9 emulator. Don't recall, if 'Leopard', OS 10.5, dropped OS 9 emulator.

Keeping the emulator when up grading , from 10.3 to 10.4 to 10.5(?), don't recall if it's a PPC processor thing.

I'm still using PPC systems, but haven't booted into 10.4 or earlier in quite a spell. Certainly haven't tried the OS 9 emulator in a long time.

Using OS 9?
Serious OS 9 use?

Have found it easier to dedicate a partition and / or HD to OS 9 then play with emulator.
Cheapness of external HD's, and Mac's ability to start from any selected bootable OS partition in a HD array have made this a useful option.

So if you discover you have the original Mac release then consider an OS 9 partition. I think OS 9 is a free download from Apple now, if not try OWC: Mac-sales.

BUT.

You state the version is 1.2.1. That's the one I have, --- Unix based. Have installed on PPC systems with 10.1, 10.2 to 10.5, ... drag and drop.

Sad to think that ver. 1.2.1 won't work on my next Mac, should be an Intel.

Screen resolution problem?
Have to adjust screen resolution on LCD wide screens to get acceptable picture. Ver. 1.2.1 was ported when cathode ray tubes were the norm. Haven't tried forcing FO into a resolution native to it's original design when launching it. Just adjusted the screen preferences. Close was good enough.
Your screen shot shows a radical resolution problem, not sure if I remember a similar one mentioned in the old Macplay trouble shooting data.

Does your OS 10.5.5 on an Intel Mac say it's an OS 9 app or just a PPC app? PPC app should work if Unix based -- or not ....
IF you got the Unix based originally set up for OS 10.1 and up, and have this botched resolution, then you got a question worthy of Macplay if they still do active support.

Confused, last time I Googled Macplay that site didn't mention older games,
some reorganization possible,
and the same Google list had an IGN site with all the old Macplay game info.

If you find a way to open FO1 in a window or box itself in it's originally designed resolution let us know.

Finally, if you OS 10.5.5 (Intel) claims this ver. 1.2.1 is OS 9 then the problem may be worthy of the Apple Discussion site.
The resolution issue itself may be worthy of the semi official Apple sites.

4too
Pfhortipfhy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Pfhortipfhy »

Works fine on PPC. NOTE TO EVERYONE: FO1 DOES NOT WORK ON INTEL MACS! Not even the ported version.

FYI: Afaik, all versions of OSX have Classic support, BUT they have to be a PPC computer. Something about the intel architecture doesn't support classic.

Also, I think you misunderstood me: Leopard does not claim that it's an OS9 app. It says it's a PPC app, (as opposed to Intel or universal). It reports it as an OSX app that doesn't work on Intel machines. Not a bug with the OS, just not compatible, I guess.

I should have tried that sooner, but I was hoping it'd work on lappie here.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

OH NOE!

Post by 4too »

OH NOE!

Figured I could be twisting the OS9 / PPC app flag, but seems neither are compatible with Intel hardware. Clarification none the less furthers ...

Not aware of any third party claiming an emulator, not aware of the need until your post.

Some app runs MS in OS 10, right?, and then there is Boot Camp.

Sad to learn that the Intel architecture can't be coaxed to do PPC apps. Specifically Macplay's port of FO.

Funny if emulator would need a ROM image like the Mac Emulator I used on an Amiga, long ago.

Have an OEM version of XP saved for future Intel Mac, when upgrade may have to boot the MS OS and play my old PC FO copy!

If can get a few glitches out of this old G4 may delay the Intel switch.

4too
Pfhortipfhy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Pfhortipfhy »

I hope you get a pro, the macbook graphics are terrible.

Some numbers: http://www.barefeats.com/mbook.html

Also, be sure you have a CD of windows whatever.

Also, at about 10.5.3, apple removed support for 256 and thousands of colors yet, and they can't/wont/have not yet even mentioned it. As of 10.5.5, apple hasn't even acknowledged it's existence, so it's unclear whether or not it was a bug or more compatibility problems. You may want to save your OS9/10.x discs, because it ships with the most recent system, and you can't revert unless you have the software. Actually, come to think of it, if intel can't handle Classic, forget OS9 completely.

Good luck.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Thanks

Post by 4too »

Thanks

Apple infamous for denying problems officially, even bitch slapping support folk that speak too soon. Still semi official help appears if one is polite on those forums.
No rants, just the facts.

Am planning to get the Probook with 512 mg video.
Now, fall home and auto issues at top of list. Time less as the daylight lessens..

Still have the Mac and MS software, and a virgin copy of XP SP2.

Plans? If XP in Boot Camp functions well may be able to skip a generation of Windows hardware to play PC games.

4too
Our Host!