18 hour bossfight

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

18 hour bossfight

Post by Smiley »

http://megagames.com/news/html/pc/final ... ours.shtml

We've all encountered lengthy RPG boss fights that lasted for more than an hour or two, but an 18 hours long MMORPG boss fight might be a little too much.

The fight took place in Final Fantasy XI, where "Beyond The Limitation" guild fought a new boss, Pandemonium Warden, who changed into 20 different forms through 18 fighting hours before the band finally gave up.

"People were passing out and getting physically ill. We decided to end it before we risked turning into a horrible new story about how videogames ruin people's lives", said one of the guild members called Sylphet. "None of us doubt that Pandemonium Warden can be killed. We just call into question exactly what the development team thinks is reasonable from human beings."

Keep in mind that those 18 hours weren't enough to finish the fight. Beyond The Limitation guild members believe that at least another 3 to 5 hours are needed to kill Pandemonium Warden.

"We've all encountered lengthy RPG boss fights that lasted for more than an hour or two"

Uhh.. no?

Also, a nice addition:
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Sounds like a shit game. Knowing FF, I bet that out of those 18 hours, 15 were spent in cutscenes and / or watching "cool" attack move animations.

I.e. a guy cannot swing his sword without a prior triple backflip.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

It's fairly much like any standard MMO, there are very few occasions where you don't have control of your character.

That being said, the game is horribly slow-paced, and very unforgiving if you die. And you die a lot.
Testicular Pugilist
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Sounds like a MMORPG centered on the Korean market.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

All MMORPG 's are shit, anyone retarded enuff to play such games bloody deserve an 18h bossfight.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

:clap: I guess posting random opinions with no basis is your new style?
Testicular Pugilist
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

I dare say that they are hardly random. On the opposite, they're quite on topic. A random opinion would be summit like:
beastiality is the new black
entertainer
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by entertainer »

xD i guess thats why they call it random
Fallout 3 - By Morons, For Morons
rabidpeanut
Perpetual SDF

Post by rabidpeanut »

Final fanstasy has always sucked. This just proves it.
Goretheglowingone
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member
Location: DAC (YEA FUCKERS! WHAT'S IT TO YOU? HUH! HUH! , I Gotta go butt sex a nun now..

Post by Goretheglowingone »

im glad i have never play a game like that... my windows would suffer for i would surly throw the MOTHER FUCKER THROUGH THE MOTHERFUCKING WINDOW!!

and my windows have suffered enough after mist and the time i lost the FUCKING BOOK!! while playing prince of Persia 3D.
EATER OF STUPID CHILDREN
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

18 hours of playing straight on one boss is pretty sad, but my question is if they couldn't defeat that boss then how can the boss be beaten? Sounds like an invincible boss that can't be beaten which is just a stupid design.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Well according to themselves, it'd take another 3-5 hours.
Testicular Pugilist
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

rabidpeanut wrote:Final fanstasy has always sucked. This just proves it.
Tingel Tangel
Fascist Bitch
Fascist Bitch

Post by Tingel Tangel »

WoW has random user tips that show during loading screens - one of them saying something along the likes of "Invite your friends to Azeroth - but don't forget to go outside of Azeroth with them as well!".

But it's most likely ignored by several people just wanting the goddamn loading screen to go away so that they can get their fix.

An 18-hour boss fight sounds inhumanely cruel. I usually get tired and annoyed with people in general and want nothing to do with the game for the rest of the evening after a 4½ hour raid - most likely even after just 2 hours. I couldn't do that long at all. I'd pretend that my computer had crashed or something of the likes and go do something else.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

That's true for most of us mortal players.
These guys want progress though, and there is some prestige to be world first.
Testicular Pugilist
Edward_R_Murrow
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Edward_R_Murrow »

That's even more insane than the 6-hour bossfights that I always hear about in shitty jRPG shit. Even the assault on Meduna or the Drassen counterattack in JA2, the biggest battles in Western (read: not usually as shit) turn[-based games I know of doesn't last that long. And in both of those you can save at any time (if you aren't iron-manning) and take a break. And I even saw one of these "epic battles" and it was just using the same combination of attacks and spells over and over until it died. No strategy, no tactics, no adaptation, and no real thought on the player's part. You could write a script to play the damn game for ya.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

When you need to pretend that your computer crashed instead of just saying "I didn't want to play anymore", you know you've got a problem.
Doggedmeat
Respected
Respected

Post by Doggedmeat »

S4ur0n27 wrote:When you need to pretend that your computer crashed instead of just saying "I didn't want to play anymore", you know you've got a problem.

sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

S4ur0n27 wrote:When you need to pretend that your computer crashed instead of just saying "I didn't want to play anymore", you know you've got a problem.
You cleary have never met an average MMO player.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

If you know it's going to take 3-5 more hours and you are such a dumbass that you sat through 18 already why wouldnt you just finish it off? Fucking retards fail at being fucking retarded.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Our Host!