A boy and his dog

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.
Kashluk

A boy and his dog

Post by Kashluk »

Haven't just gotten myself to watch it, but now I did. Amazing movie! Do you guys know if the original fallout design team has admitted "borrowing" from it? It just felt weird to see it now after you've taken a lot of things in fallout to be completely original.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

George Miller borrowed a lot from this film when he made Mad Max. I'd be surprised if the Fallout team hadn't known about A Boy and his Dog when they made Fallout. This film has been one of my favorites for years... It is a classic.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It is a great film, very much politically incorrect and full of taboo-issues. Also has great dialogue and dry, dark sense of humor. The connections between the film and Fallout are quite numerous and very well done! ... warning, SPOILERS ahead:

- One of the first spoken lines in the movie included the words "dog meat", aimed at the protagonist's canine companion. This is what really caught my interest as I was just about to stop watching, because the film seemed like a some cheap-ass flop movie at first...

- The whole Down Under, which felt like Vault City (times 10 the madness) still living in their vaults. If Quilla would've gained control of the place and would've been black, she would've been exactly like Lynette in FO2.

- Not to mention the "we've gone sterile, because we're inbred motherfuckers" -dilemma of the down under inhabitants. I actually laughed out loud when the protagonist thought he'd get to knock up all the dames of the underground society, but found himself strapped to some sort of a sperm milking machine for the purpose of artificial insemination of specific vault dw.. uh, women of Down Under.

- Small, town-ish gathering of people built from junk really reminds me of Junktown. Guards collecting people's weapons by the narrow entrance feels awfully familiar.

- The screamers, although they are never actually shown in the film, I've imagined as ghoul-like creatures. Something about the "green, radioactive appearrance" just hits the spot, so to speak.

- The search for "Over the Hill", paradise of some sort is of course a carrying theme in many post-apoc movies, but then again, water chip and G.E.C.K. were both supposed to bring paradise on earth to specific people, to some extend at least.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

If, if and if, then it would...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

I probably missed the dog meat line. Down Under felt a bit too outdoorsy, if you know what I mean. The best scene in my opinion is the basement/warehouse scene where the boy meets the girl and the ensuing fight scene is like straight from Fallout(shotguns!). The ending is quite chilling, as well.

This movie is public domain, by the way. You could buy the dvd, but the quality is a standard b-movie crap release.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

the "dog meat" line gave me a big grin :D
VasikkA wrote:Down Under felt a bit too outdoorsy,
ditto

Overall good flick, but I was tiny bit disappointed cause my expectations had been really high as my friend hyped the film so hard.
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

The short story it's based on is also quite good, you can probably find it online
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

The first five minutes tell me that this movie rocks ass.. A talking wasteland dog?!! That takes balls.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Tingel Tangel
Fascist Bitch
Fascist Bitch

Post by Tingel Tangel »

Wait... Franz is back?
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Shut you hole, woman. The men are talking.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

jetbaby wrote:Shut you hole, woman. The men are talking.
shut you* hole, baby. The grammar nazis are talking.

:eyebrow:

I checked out my local indie movie store, and they have it! I'll rent it Friday and see what the deal is. On a completely unrelated note, anybody ever played a boy and his blob for NES?
Tingel Tangel
Fascist Bitch
Fascist Bitch

Post by Tingel Tangel »

Grammar correction fails at being correct.

Also, <3 Catman.
Legion
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Legion »

A pretty ok movie.
The only thing I am wondering about is, that all the digging slaves have rifles but none of them gets the idea to kill the fat man. :peaches:
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Does anybody know where a better quality version exists online? besides torrents?
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Does anybody know where a better quality version exists online? besides torrents?
Even the dvd is of shitty quality, so I doubt it.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

I saw this years after I played FO to death and saw a lot of influence.

I got the same feeling from Canticle for Leibowitz. More the inspiration for the brotherhood though.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

watched it last night, was pretty entertaining.
Do you guys know if the original fallout design team has admitted "borrowing" from it?
I believe they said it was a heavy influence in the Fallout Bible.
mixmastermind
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by mixmastermind »

Cimmerian Nights wrote: I got the same feeling from Canticle for Leibowitz.
That's one of my most favorite books.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Fucking brilliant. Watched it last night and this will probably remain one of the few movies that I'll rewatch.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Watched it a few years back, awesome film, the dog rules. The ending is utterly bueno as well, serves the bitch right.

I can't be arsed to rewatch it, though. It's like all these other artsy Scifi films to me, I can't rewatch THX 1138 and that other New Hollywood stuff, either.
Our Host!