broadband and p2p throttling

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

broadband and p2p throttling

Post by Gimp Mask »

ok so this is a new issue for me since I moved to the UK pretty recently, in Finland I never had this problem, but here it seems pretty much every ISP likes to throttle bandwidth if you're downloading torrents or something, it's like using a friggin' modem sometimes. now is there anything I can do about it or do I just have to learn to live with it?
Liam
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Liam »

You should probably move on to a better ISP that doesn't throttle. :/

Do you live near a university WLAN or could you get a university account? That might help, too. Or just try to use a random WLAN nearby.
Last edited by Liam on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreadnought
Devil times three go climb a tree
Devil times three go climb a tree

Post by Dreadnought »

lol uk = arcane technology

But meh... australia sux too with its internet.
���������
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Our ISP named comcast started doing the same thing but I haven't used bittorrent in awhile to actually notice a difference. I think people found some work around to be able to get past the throttle but I don't know the details. If you search for comcast you will probably find some clues.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

Yeah, no suprise there.
Comcast is in bed with Time/Warner.

I was thinking of switching to Comcast for the $99 bundle deal, and their cable internet is screaming here. Fuck that. What good is the extra bandwidth if they throttle it like that?

What do they give a fuck? Packets aren't movies, they're jumbled up 1s and 0s. What legal basis do they have for blocking that?
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Whereabouts in UK do you live?
In London, I use Bethere (bethere.co.uk) and my torrents are also limited, so I use rapidshare for 99% of the things that I download.
Liam
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Liam »

How can torrents be limited, afaik the ports can be altered. Are they actually sniffing out what files you download?
Cimmerian Nights
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Cimmerian Nights »

A dude I work with said his daughter was using P2P - to download rugby games supposedly. But Comcast sent him a letter stating "stop downloading X movie" they cited the title, but he claims his daughter wasn't d/ling any movies. I know it sounds naive of him "daddy I only downloaded a game", but the guy is MCSE so he would know better than her what's going on.
You can't argue with a good blow job -George Carlin
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

What, you aren't allowed to download illegal copies of copyright protected material?

This is outrageous! >:(
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

Liam wrote:How can torrents be limited, afaik the ports can be altered. Are they actually sniffing out what files you download?
it's not sniffing, it's "packet inspection".
Liam
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Liam »

Gimp Mask wrote:
Liam wrote:How can torrents be limited, afaik the ports can be altered. Are they actually sniffing out what files you download?
it's not sniffing, it's "packet inspection".
good thing the industry has the rights to just sniff through your stuff, fuck privacy and civil rights
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

change the port. if that's not successful you could try tunnelling, which is tiresome but should surely work. see for example: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-over-ssh-071014/

or you could always come to canada, one of the last bastions of internet freedom, but not for long - artist's unions are bullying de feds to put huge surcharges on blank media (apparently there's no such thing as legit u$e) and for isps to sniff out packets, there has been minimal protest but it looks like the necessary infrastructure is already in place & the wheels are in motion :( pretty :suicide: aight.
Liam
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Liam »

I heard the DEA nazis want to arrest your major dope seed dealer and your gov't is too faggy to speak up :[
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

atoga wrote:change the port. if that's not successful you could try tunnelling, which is tiresome but should surely work. see for example: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-over-ssh-071014/
well i found out my ISP (Virgin) is not throttling P2P, but is limiting bandwidth for accounts with a high traffic volume, and also limiting at certain times of day. :rofl:

Anyway, as far as I know, changing ports doesn't necessarily help since they can detect bittorrent etc by packet inspection or packet profiling. And using VPN such as Relakks usually results in a massive performance hit so I don't think it's a great solution for downloadz (unless you know of better services/methods than Relakks?)
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

I found that utorrent's encryption, when enabled, usually allows you to get around throttling for torrents at any rate.

EDIT: I've been with 3 different ISP's since getting broadband (Cogeco, Rogers and Sympatico) and have yet to receive any bullshit letters telling me not to download copyrighted material.
I know people who have gotten them and been pissed when they got their net cut off for it. Gotta love Canada.
I figure somethings coming though, I've had two 75gig download months back-to-back.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Gimp Mask wrote:
atoga wrote:change the port. if that's not successful you could try tunnelling, which is tiresome but should surely work. see for example: http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-over-ssh-071014/
well i found out my ISP (Virgin) is not throttling P2P, but is limiting bandwidth for accounts with a high traffic volume, and also limiting at certain times of day. :rofl:
virgin isnt that bad for doing that. ntl sometimes just shut my account off for days at a time. and when i had 56k they rang the house up saying we were using too much bandwatch, DOH lol
:chew:
Gimp Mask
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Gimp Mask »

what the fuck is a dragonforce
Strider
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Strider »

Gimp Mask wrote:what the fuck is a dragonforce
ApTyp
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ApTyp »

asdf
Last edited by ApTyp on Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

ApTyp wrote:
Cimmerian Nights wrote:A dude I work with said his daughter was using P2P - to download rugby games supposedly. But Comcast sent him a letter stating "stop downloading X movie" they cited the title, but he claims his daughter wasn't d/ling any movies. I know it sounds naive of him "daddy I only downloaded a game", but the guy is MCSE so he would know better than her what's going on.
He lied to you to make you paranoid about downloading movies from the internet. Coworkers do this all the time.

Sometimes "coworkers" are assigned to watch you.

That's their Real Job: "Coworker".

Sorta like temps, but it's a professional job.

They have to have a degree in psychology or sociology and pass some kind of Civil Service exam.

Sort of like Stealth Marketing.

It's proactive stealth policing.

They get $500-$2000 a month plus benefits on top of the pay for their Duty Assignment.
("Duty Assignment" being whatever job they have in order to be your coworker.)

struth!

:drunk:
Our Host!