Philip K Dick's Short Science Fiction.

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
UniversalLogic34
SDF!
SDF!

Philip K Dick's Short Science Fiction.

Post by UniversalLogic34 »

You know... I am a big PKD fan, and i just read a bunch of stories this weekend... some of the stories really have some prime time classic fallout flavour. one of his favorite subjects was war. often with a stalemate type of irony.

I'm expecting that F3 will continue the trend.

Second Variety
Auto-Fac
The Gun
The Defenders

I wish i could somehow probe that the fallout storyline is a rip off of that last story. it reminds me of the "regulators" in the boneyard (Adytum/post nuke LA) from fallout 1. however, a few details were changed. but everyone lives in a vault and is afraid of the outside radiation.

If it's just a coincidence, well its a strange one then... But phil's writing and life is connected with overlapping coincidences and synchronicites so...

END_LINE
htttp://www.clocksixone.lsdxm.com

Experimental dark ambient electronica & spoken word.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

it has come to my attention over the years that philip k dick and fallout are as entwined as god and church or bread and sandwiches. philip is one of the last true masters of science fiction and fallout is therefore his bastard child! FALLOUT IS A RIPOFF OF SCANNERS DARKLY!
:chew:
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

Fallout has many inspirations...and it would amaze me if he was not one of them.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

Megatron wrote:it has come to my attention over the years that philip k dick and fallout are as entwined as god and church or bread and sandwiches. philip is one of the last true masters of science fiction and fallout is therefore his bastard child! FALLOUT IS A RIPOFF OF SCANNERS DARKLY!
Fallout is a ripoff of a lot of shit. Wasteland, Mad Max, pop culture, etc etc etc etc etc - yay for successful ripoffs!
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

'Tis true.

Warhammer: one of the most popular tabletop games.

..obviously not a rip off </sarcasm>
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Megatron wrote:it has come to my attention over the years that philip k dick and fallout are as entwined as god and church or bread and sandwiches. philip is one of the last true masters of science fiction and fallout is therefore his bastard child! FALLOUT IS A RIPOFF OF SCANNERS DARKLY!

A Scanner Darkly is an FPS! Treason!
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

more like an hero
the film is shit
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Thor Kaufman wrote:the film is shit
Yeah, there's roughly a 30 % chance a P.K.D novel made into film turns out good. A Scanner Darkly belongs to that other 70 %. Rotoscoping hardly made it any better, if at all.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I kinda want to check out more of P.K. Dick's books, but Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and The Man in the High Castle both had the crappiest non endings I've read in years. It's like any moment the story could just end. Do Androids... was a little better, but I'll be damned if he didn't just quit halfway through Castle. Both awesome worlds and stories that don't go anywhere. Or they ended and continued on for too long.
UniversalLogic34
SDF!
SDF!

VasikkA wrote:
Thor Kaufman wrote:the film is shit
Yeah, there's roughly a 30 % chance a P.K.D novel made into film turns out good.
you know what, thats a really good number that i contend to agree with, lets count the figures:

blade runner - good! (100%)

total recall - mostly (33%) not good

screamers alright (66%) 90's fare...

imposter - did i miss (0%) something?

minority report - not bad (66%)

paycheck - vomit (0%)

scanner darkly - foulness! (33%)

next - gross... (33%)

Average rating = 41.6%
htttp://www.clocksixone.lsdxm.com

Experimental dark ambient electronica & spoken word.
UniversalLogic34
SDF!
SDF!

Re: Philip K Dick's Short Science Fiction.

alright i just read a new story... THE VARIABLE MAN... it screams fallout so much that you can actually get flashbacks of the glow as you see the H bombs fall into and expose the vaults... in fact, i think there are several references to fallout in this story. mainly the sierra army depot. We have, in this story alone:

- security commision Dixon (a refernece to the "dixon's eye"?)
- SRB analysis Machine (sounds a bit like the chess machine, but its just a powerful computer really, that prints out math ratios)
- lots of plasma weapons
- lots of rotor/tread gunbots guarding the place
- the main character, a "jack of all trades" who escapes his foes by his many skills, including repairing a "intersystem-vidsender" for a young boy in a town (smells like the pip-boy 2000) and getting out of his cell when the power is cut through use of electronic lockpicking...
- lots of "vault city" type architecture, including amentities "A" and "B" plus a city council! oh my!
- takes place in post nuke NY state
- renegade scientist/physicist types working on crazy high end weapons for our hero to happen upon and perfect with his ingenius abilities!

conclusion: Bethesda needs to "hit the books", and steal the "dead" man's ideas.

Ideas will live on, whereas dreams might die...
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

C'mon guys...a scanner darkly was at least faithful to the book for the most part.

sure, you get quite a bit of missing introspection and some of the central ideas about identity, and as usual the religious implications are missing,

BUT AT LEAST IT DIDN'T CUT OUT ABOUT HALF THE FUCKING STORY OR IDEAS LIKE IN BLADE RUNNER.
edhead
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by edhead »

I liked A Scanner Darkly. :revolution:
Our Host!