Maximizing my profits..

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Maximizing my profits..

Post by Dogmeatlives »

Alright, so I have this job where I pretty much have a constant flow of free dvd's. I get about four free but pre-viewed dvd's a week and I don't want them but I do want money... The majority of these movies are not huge movies and again they are pre-viewed as well. My question to DAC- Does anyone have a system where I can make a nice profit off of these movies?

Well, here's my plan... I trade them to Gamestop for brand new XBox 360 and PS3 games. I then sell these new games at a discounted price on EBay. There are a few downsides to this plan- It may take alot of movies just to get one game. The Gamestop I go to may become suspicious if I bring in almost twenty movies a month all with the markings of the video store I work at. It's a bit of a process to make like 40 bucks a game.

If anyone has any better suggestions please do tell.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Staple yourself to the comeliest Dee Vee Dee and have yourself flung over a rainbow. Filthy lucre will be furthest and frigid from and to your heart of hearts. Yes. :drunk:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

1. DVDs
2. trade them to Gamestop
3. ?
4. Profit
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

You only get in store credit for them - it's a new policy.

Also, don't expect that to last long. While I can't speak for all gamestops, most will start to notice you bringing titles on a regular basis and get suspicious, especially if they're the same titles, and when they do they'll refuse to accept it. They'll also probably call all the other gamestops in the area since the district managers are generally giant bitches with nothing better to do then complain.

Alot of movies is an understatement - the most I ever see given for movies is MAYBE 6 bucks, unless they're boxed sets. Depending on the title though, they might get you anywhere from 50 cents to 2 dollars per movie. Most likely 50 cents if they're not big name movies. That's the average. That's also proposing they don't charge you with refurb fees. Depending on who is checking it, they could be real assholes about it, especially if they suspect something's up.

If you have an edge card (Only 14.95) you'll get 10% additional to all trade ins. I guess that's the difference between 50 cents and 55 cents?

It seems like way too much work. Why not just put the DVDs on Ebay directly? You avoid the 60% mark down that gamestop gives you for dvds, can set your own price, and cut out alot of middle man work of buying a game and then selling it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I don't think he'll make much going to ebay or gamestop. Your best bet would be to collect the movies then sell them on ebay as one set. I doubt a lot of single movies especially lesser demanded ones would even sell on ebay but I haven't checked that out. You could also sell them IRL to some needy individual.

Of interesting note there has been a guy at our school who would steal textbooks when people left their seat to go to the bathroom in the library then go across the street and sell them at the bookstore. He stole one from a mom and she called the cops and shit and they found out that he would come in all the time. She actually trying to press charges I think lol, wrong lady to steal a book from.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Here's a crazy idea. Donate them to Good Will and write them off on your taxes. It technically counts as charity and can get you back alot more monies then you could possibly ever hope to get from gamestop.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I was thinking of selling them through EBay but like Scooper said, I doubt if I'll get much money. Selling them as a pack sounds like an interesting idea.

Donating them to charity sounds good... you'd think it would be easier to sell some movies.

Wolfman, I wasn't really sure what Gamestop was giving for games and 50 cents does not seem like its worth the trouble.

I found this site and surprisingly for four pretty crappy movies, I get thirteen bucks, so I can just get a whole lot of movies packed up and send them out without really any hassle. http://www.secondspin.com/

This scheme may not even be worth putting into action. Maybe I'll just stick to the rivers and the lakes that I'm used to. Also, any more ideas would be much appreciated.

EDIT: After checking EBay real quick, it seems like a huge collection of new releases, however bad they are, could do pretty well. So I think I will try that. I could get a few good movies to mix in and raise the price. Wish me luck and ideas would still be appreciated.
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

How about a meth lab?
Caleb
Strider
Strider

Post by Caleb »

second spin is not bad and they resell at a low price...so its not like they're ripping you off and then selling for a ton.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Dogmeatlives wrote:Wolfman, I wasn't really sure what Gamestop was giving for games and 50 cents does not seem like its worth the trouble.
Trust me, Gamestop is abit of a scam when it comes to buying your used stuff, because as said, we buy everything back for 60%+ less than we sell it for and movies aren't really high demand items from Gamestop. If these are movies not in the system SKU they get the generic movie price which is 50 cents. Maybe a Moviestop would yield better results, but I doubt it.

Maybe you can do abit of both? Like put together afew movie packages and then donate whatevers left over to Goodwill and write it off your taxes?
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Make a hype-strong webpage smorgasbord of your shit, directed towards a foreign market. Then sit back and watch the dimes come rolling in. :dance:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

smorgasbord is such an awesome word :clap:
sarge112
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by sarge112 »

Have you tryed goozex.com?
Our Host!