Mapper questions? look here first.

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Mapper questions? look here first.

Post by ColJack »

any chance of making this a sticky mods??

If you have a question regarding the Fallout 2 editor, look here first, there might already be a tutorial for it..

Mutants Rising

<a href="/fanfallout/editorguides.php">Duck And Cover Editor guides</a>

<font size="-2">
[11/5/03 - Updated Mutants Rising URL - Temaperacl]
[5/27/04 - Made DAC link relative - Temaperacl]
</font>
PIPBoy2161
Regular
Regular

Post by PIPBoy2161 »

thank you this will come in handy in the near future... woohoo it works :) well seems like it works... it makes sense
Image Redding miners diggin' for gold! :)
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

any chance of making this a sticky mods??
Sure- a central thread for mapping links (Or just general links about fallout modding) is a good idea..

Other Modding/Mapping Forums:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=8
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
<a href="./viewforum.php?f=35">http://www.duckandcover.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=35
</a>

Scripting Tutorial:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/dsjoblom/scrtut.htm

<font size="-2">
[5/27/04 - Removed dead Interplay Link. Made DAC link Relative. - Temaperacl]
</font>
Last edited by Temaperacl on Thu May 27, 2004 8:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

As listed in DAC's mapper tutorials... the proto editor in the mapper can be made usable.

My question is with the extraction of .frm files. Mostly all I want to do is modify existing critters... specifically their armor stats. I get tired of messing with each one in my Hex Editor (which is faster than the FUCK editor), and the FO2 mapper has a built-in "stamp armor" thingie.

Do I really need to extract the Critter.dat's frm files? (I sincerely hope not), or will I only need to extract it's .lst and make the fallout2\dev directories?
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

you shouldn't need to extract anything.. even the .lst files.. ( do I say you do in the tutorial??? )

EDIT: I've just re-read the tutorial and I see where you are getting confused.. the tutorial is primarily for making NEW prototypes with NEW art... ie including your own tiles, or your own inventory items..
For editing existing prototypes, ignore steps 1 and 2...
END EDIT:

just click on the critter and edit away...

the only thing you need .frm's for is any NEW art you want to make into a new item, tile, scenery object etc... and then you need to extract the .lst file for the artwork group you are adding to.. ie art\tiles.lst and add the names of the new art to the end.. so they are included in the scroller in the editor...
Gibson
SDF!
SDF!

Adding locations to existing .map-s

Post by Gibson »

Greetings and salutations!
Being my first post in the forums, I am heading straight to the point. I am trying to enrich existing locations in FO2 with additional areas. I had some ptoblems with linking a new map with the arroyo temple inside (arcaves.map) location. I made a very small map and tried to link it to an exit grid on the original temple map elev 0 --just a small corridor disappearing into a wall tunnel and exiting to a hidden mini-shrine(?) built by the vaulter him/herself as a leagcy to the future cho-one. This shrine I put in place of the shuttle interior map, #139 -- an empty map with a lot of unused-art tiles -- in maps.txt The game kept crashing when I make the trans from the arroyo temple to the new, finely tuned map (I did all that you suggested in the (great) tutorials).
I wonder what map script should I attach to my new map (if there lies the problem) or should try to merge my mini-shrine map with the enormous arroyo caves map. Maybe I have to edit some other /data or text../game files, i.e. some dealing with interconnection of the map exits or something?
I will appreciate any piece of advice! :confused2:
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

you should be able to just put in a green exit grid, set the exit grid data to point to the map you want, and then mark all of the exit grid pieces you just put in... as per the tutorial..

try marking it to go to a different map to test it... ie the village...

you shouldn't need to alter any of the city.txt, maps.txt files if you are just pointing it to an existing map..

if you've opened the maps.txt file to get the map index number, you may have inadvertantly put in a space or something which would cause it the crash.. try deleting the un-dat'd maps.txt file

you don't need a map script for a map to work.. so set it to "none" ( set map script, press enter without selecting a name from the list and type none in the box that pops up..
CABaaL
SDF!
SDF!

Post by CABaaL »

Where can I get a program to create maps myself?
Temaperacl
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Temaperacl »

Some Guy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Some Guy »

that link workd, but the links in it didnt.
Our Host!