Making a new system

Role-play any post-apocalyptic scenario to your heart's content or discuss unofficial Fallout PnP games.

Is tabletop roleplaying dead?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 11

Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Making a new system

Post by Machiavelli »

I'd like to work out a good PA roleplaying system but seem to be pretty well stuck at the idea. Any Ideas, or just suggestions for what anyone would like to see?
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Simple but versatile gunplay rules.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

Like how? Do you mean an easy burst system for automatic weapons or what? I think it may be easier to limit the overall amount of individual weapon stats because it's really the ammo that affects damage.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

what about gamma world? never played it, but it's supposed to be good and fairly universal. or you could always just use gurps, which iirc has a good burst system (ie. reasonably realistic, yet uncomplicated) for automatic weapons and all that nonsense
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
spokomptonjdub
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by spokomptonjdub »

It must be first-person, because that is modern. Also, add a quest arrow so people don't get lost. Next, make sure everything is really shiny, but hollow, because appearances are everything, and substance just takes too much effort.

I feel it is time to Bethesda-ize everything, even tabetop games. I mean, they made like a million bucks!!!!
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

atoga wrote:what about gamma world? never played it, but it's supposed to be good and fairly universal. or you could always just use gurps, which iirc has a good burst system (ie. reasonably realistic, yet uncomplicated) for automatic weapons and all that nonsense
Depends on what version. The last two are basically D20 games with some minor setting changes, although I did like it under Alternity's system, which was a shy bit better then D20.
cazsim83
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by cazsim83 »

I voted yes just because it's so hard to get anybody together once you're older than 18
TNP
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by TNP »

I've always wanted to play table-top D&D but I've never gotten around to it. I'm familiar with the ruleset enough so I can play NWN2 and Baldur'g Gate and stuff. I think I might be too old and have to much false pride to get into it though.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

Tabletop can be fun if you have a good group.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

the probability of just "finding" a good group of people you don't know is approaching zero -- gamers are some of the most vile people on earth

you guys are all welcome to come play d&d/whatever at my house, you can sleep on my floor too :nerdcon:

edit: except for cazsim83 of course
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

I know. Advertising in a local gaming store to find a group to play with is becoming more and more like interviewing for a job.
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

atoga wrote:the probability of just "finding" a good group of people you don't know is approaching zero -- gamers are some of the most vile people on earth

you guys are all welcome to come play d&d/whatever at my house, you can sleep on my floor too :nerdcon:

edit: except for cazsim83 of course

I am proud to announce ATOGA's first annual DAC Pretty Pretty Princess Tournament. :chick:

Bring snacks and sleeping bag and get ready for hours of Pretty Princess til the prettiest princess is named, then we can gossip about boys and fat sluts in our class. I'm really psyched!! (is that how you spell psyched?!)
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
chang
SDF!
SDF!

Post by chang »

If you're thinking about making a PA PnP system based on Fallout, it's best to keep it as simple as possible but still retain as much of the SPECIAL system as you could. Unfortunately long calculations tend to kill the game.

Jason Mical's SPECIAL PnP tends to be too complicated, while JE Sawyer's SIMPLE, well too simple, not SPECIAL anymore. Hopefully the ongoing revision in the PnP vault comes out with a decent compromise.

If it's just general ideas or how to go about making a new PnP or conversions, I know of the following who also tried to make a PnP based on Fallout:
Charles R. Capko Jr.'s Badlands (PNP based on Wastleland)
Elodious' D20 conversion
William Home's Fallout Tactics PnP
Pauli Hakala's gurps conversion
Krapou's gurps conversion
Quintin Stone's Cinematic Unisystem conversion.

You can find them thru google.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

I wasn't so much going for a fallout pnp I was more interested in coming up with a more generic system for post apoc play.
Our Host!