Fallout: The full story...

Got great hand-eye coordination? Here's the place to show it off. You can also upload your work (images, audio, and video) and view our fan art gallery (currently defunct, bug forum management to fix it).
This is also the forum for all of you blossoming Camus' to exercise your brain power by writing and posting fan fiction.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

Ernesto wrote:
Subhuman wrote: I think you have potential, but your style needs work.
You say that about everything.
Well, it was either that or "You suck, stop writing forever", so I figured I'd go with the nicer one.

Really, though, I've seen worse. (Alias fanfic, anyone?)
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

I redid the whole thing if anyone is interested.

http://www.geocities.com/fallout_ranger ... ault13.wps
does this work
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

Honestly if you're going to write based off of the game, it may be beneficial to play through it as you're writing. As you play make a rough outline of everything you're doing in game. I know many of us here feel that we've played the game so many times that we don't need to do that, but when the creative juices get flowing sometimes it's easy to forget details. After you've written your outline, fill it in. Give emotion. What was the Vault Dwellers reaction to finding "Ed"? Did he know him? If he did, what was Ed like? You can devote just a paragraph to Ed and add much more to the story.

Avoid cursing unless it's appropriate. Too much cursing makes it seem like it was written by someone thinking that they're doing something naughty. Curse in dialog only if it fits the character that has been developed to that point and avoid using "fuck" too often.

Try to avoid too much detail. I know it's hard to determine what is too much but think of it like a movie. Picture the scene in your head and write down what you notice. That way the image of the scene will be portrayed without drowning the reader in details. Anne Rice's books would be about half as thick as they are if she would just cut down on the details.

Go cannon and stay true to the game, but remember that it's your story. Many times what works in a game will NOT work in a story. I know the game is a story in itself but it's told in a different medium. If you try to go play by play in your story you will drag it down and bore your readers to tears. In the end though I would agree that novelizing Fallout would be a very bad idea because no matter what you will change someone else's experience of the game and there will be a flame war. Write a story set in the Fallout universe and you can still stay cannon and true to the bible, you'd just be setting up your own story within a larger world.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

:Edit:

Just read the re-write, very nice job. Nothing felt rushed and the feelings of the Vault Dweller come across rather well.

Little hint though, avoid the inventory list. It will be very difficult to explain later on how the Vault Dweller is carrying all the things that he gathers by the end of the game. Try to keep load limits realistic and you'll have a much more exciting story.
The AK-47. When you absolutely positively got to kill every mother#$^#&* in the room...... Accept no substitute.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Blargh wrote:I'll be as kind as I possibly can be, given the circumstances:

Though your presence is painful, rather like a blood parasite, your writing almost brings me to tears, it is that horrendous. Therefore, I suggest you return to being the forum Fuckwit, rather than the forum Awful Fucking Would-be Writer . . .

Fun times ahead.

Fond regards,
Blargh

:drunk:
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Blargh`s golden times?
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Machiavelli wrote:It will be very difficult to explain later on how the Vault Dweller is carrying all the things that he gathers by the end of the game. Try to keep load limits realistic and you'll have a much more exciting story.

I was going to avoid the inventory subject for the most part, and keep him to a relatively low limit when it comes to weight/mass.
Machiavelli
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Machiavelli »

Worry less about weight and more about where he's going to put everything. It may be difficult to explain where he's carrying the 13 hunting rifles, 5,000 .223 rounds, 23 assorted grenades, 124 stimpacks, 24 10mm pistols and so on and so forth all the way from the Raiders Camp to the hub for trading. Take a few liberties just to keep the story entertaining. We all know how hard it is to take out a deathclaw with the 10mm but for the stories sake you may want to throw that kind of thing in. (exaggeration; just making an example)

Also, How about some background history on the Dweller? Are you really going to call him that through the whole thing or might he have a name known only to him and everyone else will know him as the "Vault Dweller"?
Nicolai
ASSHAT
ASSHAT

Post by Nicolai »

Needs more wheelchair-bound Quebec separatists. B)
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

Machiavelli wrote:We all know how hard it is to take out a deathclaw with the 10mm but for the stories sake you may want to throw that kind of thing in. (exaggeration; just making an example)
Actually I think deathclaws are a bit tougher than they really would be. What could really take 8 10mm rounds to the head?
Machiavelli wrote:Also, How about some background history on the Dweller? Are you really going to call him that through the whole thing or might he have a name known only to him and everyone else will know him as the "Vault Dweller"?

Maybe some background, but I think I'll stick with "the man with no name" format.
Our Host!