Scenery Sprite Item Description Tip

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Scenery Sprite Item Description Tip

Post by OnTheBounce »

Hopefully I'm not "Johnny Come Lately" on this one and the rest of you have already figured this out, but...

I've been playing around with the names of Scenery Sprites and have been unsatisfied with something. Namely, that you apparently couldn't control how the name displayed, but rather had to rely on whatever rules governed the displaying of text for item names. Inserting a name like the following:

name_M01_streetSign = {The Sign Reads:
"Physical Training Has Been Cancelled Due to Lack of Interest."}

This resulted in a dislplay like this when you moved your mouse over the sign:

The Sign Reads: "Physical Training Has Been Cancelled Due to Lack of Interest."

Then I remembered that the "special character \n\n" prevented the display from deleting the end of line character, and so I tried something like this:

name_M69_brothelSign = {The Sign Reads:\n\n
"The Stanky Hole\n\n
Est. 2194\n\n
By Yo Mama"\n\n}

The result for this method was:

The Sign Reads:
"The Stanky Hole
Est. 2194
By Yo Mama"

The lines will appear to have more space between them, though. Roughly like having line spacing set to 1.5 instead of 1.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yep, you can\n
\n
\n
\n
use it in\n
\n
\n
speech nodes too!
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Well, OTB, I didn't know the \n\n thing works in that way, so don't feel bad :)
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
endocore
Regular
Regular

Post by endocore »

Did you ever have any more luck, OTB, in trying to change the color of an entity's descriptive text?

Endocore
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

OTB: Try it with a single "\n" It's the special character for carriage return. If we ever double them up, it was for extra lines in the formatting.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Yep or add more /n for added spacing or a new paragraph. Gareth, as long as we have you on the horn here - any reply to the email I sent you a month ago about who I can talk to at MF about releasing the sprite editors or tile editors? I would like some email addresses if you can give them to me so we can get some answers.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:Yep, you can...use it in...speech nodes too!
Yes, I knew about that part. Although I remembered the line from the sacredReadMe incorrectly. ]ed[ wrote:

Each node is auto wrapping, and will delete any end-of-line characters it finds. To add in an end-of-line use the special text: \n

But I've seen it so many times as "\n\n" in the speech files that I forgot about simply using one "\n".
endocore wrote:Did you ever have any more luck, OTB, in trying to change the color of an entity's descriptive text?
No, I'd forgotten about it, actually. Thanks for reminding me! :)
Section8 wrote:OTB: Try it with a single "\n" It's the special character for carriage return. If we ever double them up, it was for extra lines in the formatting.
See above. :oops:

Memory really isn't what it used to be...

Thanks for getting me straightened out, folks.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

JimmyJay: There are problems when it comes to "who to talk to" about such things. On the interplay side of things, 14 degrees east is defunct and it's staff elsewhere, and on our side of things, the people who had contact with Interplay are pretty much gone. Most of the remaining Tactics team members are artists. That means any kind of decision is to be made outside of the dev team, and I'm not really sure where that responsibility lies.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Our Host!