Game Informer Has Exclusivity Deal With Bethesda

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

It had bump maps? Oh, I was looking at something else...
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

DAC has the exclusive bitchin' rights.
aries100
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by aries100 »

I don't think for one second that leaked information hasn't been approved by Bethesda's PR-deparment (aka Pete Hines). This is how the media and the internet and game journalism works.

Remember the shivering isle's expansion ? For about 3-6 months before Bethesda released this, there were rumours on the internet among this.
And I don't doubt that the rumours originated from bethesda itself...

That is just how things work these days.

As for the GI exclusivity to Fallout 3, there really isn't any news in this, too. It is common for game company to give a certain magazine (like GI) the full exclusice rights to a story, and normally the magazine is very happy about this. This means that the magazine, in this case GI, sells loads of copies. (aka more than usual ;) ).

As for you comment on the member of Congress, in Denmark we don't have a Congress. But we do have Prime Minister who is very selective about who gets the (good) info and who doesn't get any info - at all. If you behave and lick the government's butt, you get treated good, but if you donn't like the government, you don't get any thing (good) or rarely, at best.

I'm guessing it is the same way for game companies and articles about the game(s). If you play ball, you get the good stuff, if you're overly critical, you don't get that much - or at best, you will get something, rarely. If you're very critical, you get banned - like the Codex did. (although I'm not totally sure that in some instances members of the codex ---- )

Alexander, Bethsoft Dev, once wrote in a thread over at the Codex, from his responses I'd gathered that he probably wanted everyone to see Oblivion to be the best thing since sliced bread. It was clear, at least to me, that some bethsoft devs. couldn't take the heat i.e. take the fact that (some) people were very critical about Oblivion and expressed this, pointing out what was wrong with the game. He didn't seem to understand either that when you make a game (or write a book etc), your need to be prepare or braize? yourself for critique, any critique, really.

Hence, I dobt that we will se much criticism on Fallout 3 from Game Informer, since their exclusivity deal most likely would get pulled...
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

aries100 wrote:Alexander, Bethsoft Dev
Isn't he only a mod?
Pope Viper
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Pope Viper »

T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Game design is still in it's dark ages. We'll be dead or close to it by the time any true quality or integrity enters this industry.

We're in the 1930-50s in terms of gaming, if you compare it to the evolution of the film industry... We're starting to get mildly epic but we're still woefully incapable, making a mountain of shit for every grain that's worth a glance.

Hasn't improved much, come to think of it.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

True, but remember that the film industry has moved forward. Here we are still demanding and bitching about turn based. Our fault too.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

"No Business Like Show Business"

Post by 4too »

"No Business Like Show Business"

... It's a marketing strategy. This is not journalism...
As long as these hired scribblings are know Infomercials, than a fig leaf of ... community values clings on.

The money people talk about Sony's PS3 slow start. The same commentary would smile at Microsoft's Xbox 360.
Billions of Dollars trading, a good thing.
Consider a scenario in which the performance of public traded corporations is judged by these *professional* game reviews.

What if.
Consider the 'yes men' open to suggestion, and their reviews of entertainment media as anticipation of actual sales.
Months of 13 out of 10 gushing ratings ... ""Game Of Teh AMERICAN CENTRY!""
Hotter than Saddom's April 2003 WMD-s!
Actual sales info delayed and fudged as ' boxes shipped'.
Buy low, sell high, repeat.

Is it only conspiracy if it is a ''possible'' premeditated fixing?
Is it -not- a criminal, an alleged, stock manipulation,
if these glowing, gloating third party prospectus are understood as regurgitated press packs and predictable ''business as usual''?

Mutual sharing of interests. An innocent pantomime of ''show me".

Merely like minded individuals, playing along to get along. A public symbiotic
association that guarantees the free flow of press kits, demos, review copies, and game / company logo-ed coffee mugs.

The smart money awaits the real 'box office' tallies and not the 'boxes shipped' happy hype.

Move along, nothing to gawk at here, Business as usual.

4too
PsychoSnipers
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Re: "No Business Like Show Business"

Post by PsychoSnipers »

4too wrote:"No Business Like Show Business"

... It's a marketing strategy. This is not journalism...
As long as these hired scribblings are know Infomercials, than a fig leaf of ... community values clings on.

The money people talk about Sony's PS3 slow start. The same commentary would smile at Microsoft's Xbox 360.
Billions of Dollars trading, a good thing.
Consider a scenario in which the performance of public traded corporations is judged by these *professional* game reviews.

What if.
Consider the 'yes men' open to suggestion, and their reviews of entertainment media as anticipation of actual sales.
Months of 13 out of 10 gushing ratings ... ""Game Of Teh AMERICAN CENTRY!""
Hotter than Saddom's April 2003 WMD-s!
Actual sales info delayed and fudged as ' boxes shipped'.
Buy low, sell high, repeat.

Is it only conspiracy if it is a ''possible'' premeditated fixing?
Is it -not- a criminal, an alleged, stock manipulation,
if these glowing, gloating third party prospectus are understood as regurgitated press packs and predictable ''business as usual''?

Mutual sharing of interests. An innocent pantomime of ''show me".

Merely like minded individuals, playing along to get along. A public symbiotic
association that guarantees the free flow of press kits, demos, review copies, and game / company logo-ed coffee mugs.

The smart money awaits the real 'box office' tallies and not the 'boxes shipped' happy hype.

Move along, nothing to gawk at here, Business as usual.

4too

And as usual, 4too states the obvious in an obscure way. (no offense meant to 4too, as weve all been saying this, he just tends to say it differnt)
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

I want Blargh's posting to confirm
In Blargh I trust :salute:
Our Host!