STALKER: "Genre-redefining"

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

The only major problems I'm hearing from everybody is the system requirements are bullshit. You cannot run Stalker at anything higher than 20fps if you play with dynamic shadows. Without them it looks terrible. Graphically it doesn't look any better than Half Life 2 (worse in many places, especially textures, weapon and player models) but is pretty much identical to the resource hog that is Oblivion.

Technically you should be able to run at 1024x768 with everything set to high and get a stable framerate on the old Geforce 5x00's. The game was supposed to come out when the Geforce 3 was brand new, and it really looks like that era of game with a little more shine.

Other things I'm hearing it's actually a very chilling place to walk around in. Extremely atmospheric and hard. Fallout is being thrown around a lot. Nighttime is the coolest. But the story is practically nonexistent, and you get no incentive for exploring. Quests come randomly and you will fail them without noticing. Also the quests suck. Kill guy, stand here for 10 minutes, deliver thing to whoever, etc.. Russian is well done, but the translations are mostly gibberish.
You get encumbered way too easily. You can carry a pistol, a rifle, maybe some health things, armor, and when you retrieve an artifact you have to drop something. Stuff like armor and clothing shouldn't be part of your general inventory. However they fucked it up. This is also something I always hated about Deus Ex. You aren't carrying it, you're wearing it.
No vehicles make traveling take forever.
Multiplayer feels tacked on.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Vielen Dank for the heads up 'zander. I'm still trying to find a fast enough torrent. :salute:

edit: I just realized that Stalker is indeed released. It's been quite a trip. :dragons:
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Mad Max RW wrote:The only major problems I'm hearing from everybody is the system requirements are bullshit. You cannot run Stalker at anything higher than 20fps if you play with dynamic shadows. Without them it looks terrible. Graphically it doesn't look any better than Half Life 2 (worse in many places, especially textures, weapon and player models) but is pretty much identical to the resource hog that is Oblivion.

Technically you should be able to run at 1024x768 with everything set to high and get a stable framerate on the old Geforce 5x00's. The game was supposed to come out when the Geforce 3 was brand new, and it really looks like that era of game with a little more shine.

Other things I'm hearing it's actually a very chilling place to walk around in. Extremely atmospheric and hard. Fallout is being thrown around a lot. Nighttime is the coolest. But the story is practically nonexistent, and you get no incentive for exploring. Quests come randomly and you will fail them without noticing. Also the quests suck. Kill guy, stand here for 10 minutes, deliver thing to whoever, etc.. Russian is well done, but the translations are mostly gibberish.
You get encumbered way too easily. You can carry a pistol, a rifle, maybe some health things, armor, and when you retrieve an artifact you have to drop something. Stuff like armor and clothing shouldn't be part of your general inventory. However they fucked it up. This is also something I always hated about Deus Ex. You aren't carrying it, you're wearing it.
No vehicles make traveling take forever.
Multiplayer feels tacked on.
That is pretty much exactly what they wrote on IGN, only you omitted that, according to reports, it seems to be utterly bug-ridden...

Wonder if I will be able to run it on my machine; I have a AMD 1800+, 512 mb RAM, radeon 9550 256 mb (overclocked). Well, well, we will see, I am currently in the process of acquiring the game via ***. Should be done in a couple of h.
VasikkA wrote:Vielen Dank for the heads up 'zander. I'm still trying to find a fast enough torrent. salute

edit: I just realized that Stalker is indeed released. It's been quite a trip. :dragons:
No problem, 'sikka.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

What about the AI? They said it's gonna be ZE ORSOM!

What about the modability? I mean a bad game can still make a good platform for mods.

What about a boss? Is there one?
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Bosses are lame.

Lame!

I though the AI in stalker was pretty good. They
seemed to be more into having shootouts from a
safe distance than just running straight into you
guns blazing. Pluss they went into hiding/cover if
you fired your weapon in their direction. Pretty nice.

Im playing the game on max settings with dynamic
whatever and fancy gfx settings. No problems with
fps exept when entering a new are for the first time.
However, the best part of the game was walking
through stalker camps, seeing the roaches from
cigarettes, empty vodka and energy-drink bottles,
seeing the stalkers huddling around a burning
barrel-oven while one of them jams out a tune on
a slightly broken acoustic guitar.
Just gotta love that setting.

Kudos to the stalker people, you did good!
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Superhaze wrote:Bosses are lame.
O rly? Why because the fanbay magazines say so?

Superhaze wrote:Kudos to the stalker people, you did good!
You're a spotted dick.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Superhaze wrote:I though the AI in stalker was pretty good. They
seemed to be more into having shootouts from a
safe distance than just running straight into you
guns blazing. Pluss they went into hiding/cover if
you fired your weapon in their direction. Pretty nice.

Im playing the game on max settings with dynamic
whatever and fancy gfx settings. No problems with
fps exept when entering a new are for the first time.
However, the best part of the game was walking
through stalker camps, seeing the roaches from
cigarettes, empty vodka and energy-drink bottles,
seeing the stalkers huddling around a burning
barrel-oven while one of them jams out a tune on
a slightly broken acoustic guitar.
Just gotta love that setting.

Kudos to the stalker people, you did good!
You sound like a IGN reporter, are you one? Did you get paid to write that post?

ALERT! ALERT! AN IMPOSTER IS AMOGST US! ENTER YOUR HOMES!

On a side note, it seems my machine met all the requirements to play stalker save for one - 1200mb page file... and the whopping 10 GB of free space. Ok, I need get down to clearing some of the accumulated rubbish from my HDD.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

I feel like having some Teriyaki chicken.
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

I bought it a few hours ago. The lipsynching makes everyone look like a cow chewing cud.

I've heard it takes a bit to get into, but after shooting a bandit 20 times in the face to no effect I'm feeling a bit lost.
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

Splatterpope wrote:after shooting a bandit 20 times in the face to no effect I'm feeling a bit lost.
How :gothic 3:
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Splatterpope wrote:I bought it a few hours ago. The lipsynching makes everyone look like a cow chewing cud.

I've heard it takes a bit to get into, but after shooting a bandit 20 times in the face to no effect I'm feeling a bit lost.
there you have it, tight there: RPG elements. Clearly, your character has poor shooting skills, and your player skills can do nothing about it.

(seriously tho, were you close to enemy and had a steady position?)
Splatterpope
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Splatterpope »

Actually, after playing a bit more I realized that I was standing about 100 metres away from the fellow, firing a relatively useless pistol.

Turns out I probably missed him 19 times.

In other news, I'm still reserved about the game but all signs point to it being great.

Oh and as far as I know, my character has no skills.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

only 42hours left :salute:
PiP

Post by PiP »

Splatterpope wrote: I was standing about 100 metres away from the fellow, firing a relatively useless pistol.
hm that would explain it :rolleyes:
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

I accept your compliments with pleasure.

On the other hand, what is the difference between an IGN reporter, and saaaaaay... someone else?

curious.
Kukident
Regular
Regular

Post by Kukident »

i preordered that special edition, i dont know why, i just did it...
hope it's good, i don't want to have more money being wasted, like when i bought Homm 4 + addon, believing it would be as great as Homm3 or when i bought Doom3 + addon, and played it like 20 minutes in the coop mod, and then stopped, or like when i bought armed assault, which i didnt even put out of the package as well as the FEAR addon, i bought and never played

I'm like one of those shopping woman, who buy 1000 shoes, and never wear them (or only 2-3 pairs of them)... hope i'm not becoming one of them
To be sure i will look under my sweatshirt and OH MY GOD, THERE IS A NIPPLE... wait a moment, men have nipples too...
Antimeasure
Strider
Strider

Post by Antimeasure »

Video games makes Idi Amin cry.

I tried it, set it all on "maximum". The graphics are outdated, the animations are poor and after some time it froze and gave me a bsod. :Kartoffle:
I like my women as i like my whiskey. Twelve years old and mixed up with coke.
vendetta
Wanderer of the Wastes
Wanderer of the Wastes

Post by vendetta »

I'm surprised it did come out afterall.
Kukident
Regular
Regular

Post by Kukident »

:sauerkraut:

i bought it via amazon, then i decided not to order it and wanted to delete the order and found out they already sent it out

i hope it's not another 65 euros thrown out of the window

i hope it for you!
Our Host!