STALKER: "Genre-redefining"

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

STALKER: "Genre-redefining"

Post by Alexander »

According to IGN, at least.

Looks like the australian(I am just as confused as you are) IGN devision got one of the first hands-on previews of STALKER that is to be released in March.

"When a game is delayed as long as S.T.A.L.K.E.R., it means one of two things. It's either going to be a god-awful mess, looking three years out-of-date by the time it arrives, or it's going to be so good that it deserved every stretched year of development time. After playing the latest preview code of S.T.A.L.K.E.R., we're happy to report that it's probably a case of the latter. While the term is used so loosely these days as to negate its value, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is truly a genre-redefining game. We're reminded most of Oblivion when playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R., an astonishing feat considering that at its core this is still a first person shooter."

Oh, goodie... they are reminded of Oblivion.

Click.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

THEY PAID US FIVE MILLION US DOLLARS TO WRITE THIS.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Dreadnought

Post by Dreadnought »

2015:

"...the S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-clone FALLOUT 3 was recorded as 'the worst game ever shat upon our heads' thus causing worldwide riots and the fall of dozents of governments in the wars from 2008 - 2012..."
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: STALKER: "Genre-redefining"

Post by Jesus Christ »

IGN wrote:We're reminded most of Oblivion when playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R., an astonishing feat considering that at its core this is still a first person shooter.
How is it that a FPS reminding you of Oblivion could be astonishing in any way?
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Apologies To Who -evah

Post by 4too »

Apologies To Who - evah

J.C.:

""People try to put us down, jus' because we get aroun'"" ...

""Why don't ya-awl jus' Fa FA FA--HADE awayy, jus' can't dig wha' we all say"" ....

""Talkin' 'bout that nEW senSATION, talkin' 'bout NEX GEN-ifcation!"" ...

J.C.:

Considering the historical time line, one could imagine Oblivion as STALKER without Guns.
Considering the power of publishing first, and the selective vision of the game review / game advertising media, the two titles are contrived to be labeled as of different genre's.
STALKER is a FPS and the transvestite Oblivion is a RPG.

These game media talking heads consider Oblivion a -- solid -- RPG. The RPG of the year!

Asking 'them' to define their terms violates their ['pay to play'] intellectual comfort zone.
Makes their job 'teh' hard as -- Hired Scribblers.

Nex Gen intelligentsia.

A knowing lie is not as 'evil' as a co-opted psyche. A soul ''Doubly" lost.

Nex Gen intelligentsia.

Part of becoming Nex Gen intelligentsia is the fuzzy thinking when defining game terms and genres.
Any term that does not serve the client game publishers and therefore IGN editorial standards is fudged.

Going along to get along induces a self hypnosis ... so drawing from another Testament, "'none so blind as those who will not see".
If a fact does not serve the Nex Gen world view it is ignored AND / OR totally misunderstood.

Yes, this is Orwellian 'Double Think'. IGN appears a Nex Gen drudge to 'Double Speak'.

It is genre blending in a gender bending kind of way.
As long as the writing is fictional or poetic then the individual - key pecker - has license to conform to any standard,
their own 'th-ang' or that of a larger Gestalt to which they aspire to be in ... ''unity, unITY, UNITY.''

Yah, J.C., this IGN pecker looks like he's been --dipped -- in FEV.

IGN page. Dark red field, ads load first, on dial up, have to high light or wait to read the text.
Always astonished by web pages' magazine lay out, lets me know that the ad space is more important than the writer's text.
Not that the writer -- after editorialization -- needs to dun down his talent so as not out shine the intent of the commercial spread.

STALKER is labeled ''genre-redefining'', that's as good a translation, fudging, as any, until all FPS's are anointed RPG's, and we all love Big Bethesda.

And, I'm happy to understand there is ANOTHER FPS with latent rPG assets. Another great leap for Action rPG' s.

'Genre redefined' as
... the sandbox-fps ...
You go Nex Gen.

4too
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

STALKER redefines the genre with every new preview.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

ExtremeRyno wrote:I beat you.

http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16552

Ryno 4 the win.
That is a different article. And an earlier one for that matter. So, technically, I beat you.

Anywho, is there anyone here who is looking forward to this abomination?

P.S.

In light of the around-the-corner release of the game, I took a peek at the STALKER forum. Generally, they seem excited....

Found this funny post:
Why do the graphics look outdated?

I was really excited when I read about this game... then I saw the screen pics....

They look like they're from an older game, like HL2 or Halo... in particular, the vegetation and outdoor environments. You can tell from a short glance that plants, flowers, grass, bushes, and trees look like a cheap flat props.

It doesn't look anything at all like what we've come to expect from a modern game. After new standards being set by games like FarCry, and a few others, the bar was raised with ever increasing graphics technology which has reached a new step in evolution with DX10. With the 8800 series released recently and even more so, the new ATI chip about to be released, gamers are expecting a lot more than this game is offering.

This year, out door environments look even more realistic in a long list of games that me and everyone else has seen trailers and screenshots of recently. This game's outdoor graphics are an eyesore, which is really puzzling since over half of the screenshots I've seen for it take place outdoors....

This game has a lot of competition and you guys seem to be forgetting this. Before some fanboy tells me I'm wrong or to stop "whining", crawl out of your hole and go look at gaming sites like Gamespot.com and Gametrailers.com and see the outstanding outdoor graphics that are coming out this year in nearly every game but this one.

If this problem isn't fixed, I'm sorry to say that I don't see much of a future for this game in terms of popularity. It will slip under the radar, and it just won't sell. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. just doesn't live up nearly to the standards that all of the new games are meeting, and its not a game that will be on my wish list.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Don't worry guys i'm going to buy this game the day it comes out just because it's always looked interesting even if it does end up being lackluster. I will tell you guys every detail about it.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

We are counting on YOU!
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:Don't worry guys i'm going to buy this game the day it comes out just because it's always looked interesting even if it does end up being lackluster. I will tell you guys every detail about it.
Maybe you'll feed a few hungry Ukrainians with that money. :salute:
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

By the way, if you are really interested in playing the game ASAP, THQ has announced that there are "beta-keys" available across the Tubes. Personnaly, I rather wait until it is released on p2... eh, I mean, SHOPS.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

fools, can't you see this is all Fo3 sikrit beta-testing? :rolleyes:

no actually I think it's still a very interesting game (provided it's not too buggy and it's playable on an average rig), just everyone is so freaking fed up with all the release date pushing and tons of previews etc already.

Also, Stalker already did one thing right before it came out (with screenshots/videos) - it showed how much of a failure 'the fall' is.
negullah
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by negullah »

GAWD Alexander, the dude just kicked himself in the face with every line. :chainsaw:
Koki
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Koki »

Wait. So STALKER redefined the genre? Which genre? FPS genre? So 'FPS' doesn't mean "Running around shooting stuff with guns" anymore? What does it mean now, that it's... redefned?
Serious Business.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

it means that you now have an inventory and cant carry all weapons(survival-realism!11"), yeah and a world problably as big as Oblivion "Gam3 fo se Year!!". Also you can buy some weapons in some small building with nice dialouges like "Wanna stuff?" and two awesome answeroptions "yes" and "no". so all in all you get like 5 % RPG and 95 % FPS.

D;
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

FO3 will totally redefine the FPS genre. B)
PiP

Post by PiP »

VasikkA wrote:FO3 will totally redefine the FPS genre. B)
:rofl: :yes:

oh btw, Koki's back! :aiee: (czyli 'plecy Kokiego' :D)
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

DaC-Sniper wrote: My new avatar is a big purple penis.
Take me seriously.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Koki wrote:Wait. So STALKER redefined the genre? Which genre? FPS genre? So 'FPS' doesn't mean "Running around shooting stuff with guns" anymore? What does it mean now, that it's... redefned?
Running around shooting dragons and stuff with guns. I can't think of too many FPSes where I could do that outside of STALKER.
Our Host!