Scale in Fallout 3

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Scale in Fallout 3

Post by johnnygothisgun »

i was just thinking about the fact that in oblivion the imperial city, supposedly the largest and most cosmopolitan city in the elder scrolls universe, is about the size of a city block since the game world is not made up of individual maps but one continuous world, and i guess it would just be too hard for the bethsoft boys to make it more believable and have the capital city of a massive empire with more than 100 residents

while thats quite stupid, it passes in a fantasy game, but in fallout, which uses real world locations, its going to be much more difficult to suspend our disbelief when a prewar city of several million people is portrayed in-game as being the size of my yard

how could they possibly fix this problem?
Fa11lloutfan_15
Strider
Strider

Post by Fa11lloutfan_15 »

I believe distances and not sizes of towns will make the difference in an as arid landscape as Fallout's. You can make cities almost as big as you like, and travel will mostly be affected by how far it is to the next, and whether you thereby will be able to see it from the first or not. Although I wonder how they are going to make the desert scenic enough to motivate a retention of the coherent world map. Perhaps by spreading out small settlements (like the tents in the random encounters of Fallout 2) all over. Or they will simply place locations much closer together, but then they will have ruined everything.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Most reasonable solution: Cut down on the graphical masturbation. We don't need textures the size of terrain maps on broken down walls. They don't have to be specular or bumped to look like broken down walls. A wall also doesn't need a billion polys. Moss doesn't need individual hairs that move with the wind.

Just have that in mind, and you can make an enormous FO3 fps shitfest on the Quake 2 engine.
PsychoSniper

Post by PsychoSniper »

Fo3 iz guna b3 marrownd with GunZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

Im ashamed to admit, but whilst in Iraq my laptop craped out on me, and I broke down and bought an xBox from the PX.

It came with Morrowind.

Its a mediocre game for killing time, but if that's gone be FO3 .....

Im not gona bother.
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

The only good Xbox games are Splinter Cell, and apparently the morons at Ubishit decided to punish those who bought the 360 by having their Shanghai "branch"(read:sweatshop filled with blind, retarded, crippled, babies) do that version of Double Agent and the capable, intelligent branch doing the version for the old console.

You should pick Xbox version, it rocks, even has a full co-op campaign.
ESF morons keep stealing my damned Yahoo accounts.
:anger:
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

What TinyTeeth said.

In Fallout, the towns were days or even weeks walk from eachother and hence made them feel like isolated communities in an endless wasteland. It would just be stupid if the towns in FO3 would be like a 5 minute walk from eachother. World map is the only way to go.
johnnystolehisgun wrote:how could they possibly fix this problem?
Part the largest towns in several districts for example with a wall of junk similar to Junktown or with other cool restrictions.
Jesus Christ
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Jesus Christ »

That's just how beth did the imperial city in Ob. It would just need a lot more districts to seem at all big. Also not all of the city needs be occupied, a lot of rubble with the occasional standing wall or building would really give it a feel of desolation well still retaining some humongo city size.
I have returned! (again)
FIGHT ME!
Our Host!