FOT: Rules Of Engagement

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Amaru
Regular
Regular

FOT: Rules Of Engagement

Post by Amaru »

Hey Guys,

Here's some concept screenshots from the upcoming FOT modification that we're working on.

I will post some more as we go along. We're currently slim on webspace so we gotta watch out space and limit our selection of screens and concepts that we can post.

Hope you all enjoy it and we're looking forward to showing you more soon.

Greetz,

Amaru

Last edited by Amaru on Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dak
Regular
Regular

Looks good

Post by Dak »

Looks good.
[HpA]SniperPotato
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by [HpA]SniperPotato »

The truck looks fucking sweet. It's all about tricking the eyes.
Work in progress
<br>
Fallout Tactics multiplayer: COOPnet and MegaCOOP map pack
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Well fuck my hat - Rules of Engagement is still going. I thought it had died out years ago. Is Snake still working on it?

I've got some FOT map material I made - also years ago - that you fellas might be interested in. Want me to email it to you?
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

Hey Stevie,

The Rules Of Engagement project was delayed and put on hold a while duo to real life stuff and all that.

We could really use some maps at the moment, I've been doing 4 maps on my own at the moment and so far it's working out pretty well... But when it comes to mapping we really wanna take our time. We've used some excisting material from other mappers and went wild with it. We really wannt put a lot of detail into it.

I remember the first time I played the Original campaign when I entered the mission with the Hummer. The town the mission was played in really impressed me with the details on the buildings and streets. We've took that concept and added a more tactical gameplay to it so that you really need to use your enviorment to survive the battles.

Also, next to the battles and the missions we really wanna give more option to interact with NPC's and doing sidequests, giving strength to the story and giving the player the oppertunity to gain more XP, gain access to special items and weapons.

We're also making the enemies stronger then the player, which will force them to use more tactics in combat because if it's one thing the original FOT was lacking, it was tactical gameplay... the first few missions required a lot of duck and cover but as you progressed into the campaign it became a more rush in, shoot first and ask questions later combat gameplay... and we're trying to change this...

So, in short, we're putting a lot of time into the mapping, using a lot of detail... which in turn costs a lot of time. So, if you are interested in helping us out with some maps then we'd be really thankful.

You can contact me by email: Amarudakota@hotmail.com

So let me know,

Greetz,

Amaru
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

I personally experienced that when you're working on a map, the extra tiles like barrels, boxes, barracades and stuff like that really take a lot more time then the basic concept. The smaller details really take a lot of time... But it pays off in the end.
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

[HpA]SniperPotato wrote:The truck looks fucking sweet. It's all about tricking the eyes.
The truck is indeed sweet, I am personally proud of that one.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Amaru wrote:You can contact me by email: Amarudakota@hotmail.com
Bombs away.
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

Now I know this ain't a lot of eye candy but it's the basic layout of the maps finished so far. We have a 4th mission ready but we're adjusting it slightly.

http://www.bloodline-guild.net/FOT/imag ... sion02.jpg

http://www.bloodline-guild.net/FOT/imag ... sion03.jpg

http://www.bloodline-guild.net/FOT/imag ... sion05.jpg
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

Here's a layout from the first mission we're using for FOT: Rules Of Engagement. It's a copy of the special encounter map in the original FOT. We wanted something simple to get the player into the mood and warm up the player for some tactical gameplay. The map has been redone, we originally used a smaller version but we've made it a bit bigger, added more rocks and enemy guardspots.'

We're still testing if the combat for this map will work out but I think we're pretty close to what we like to do with this map.

It's simple, not to big, not to small... a warming up mission for what's to come.

http://www.bloodline-guild.net/FOT/imag ... sion01.jpg
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

We've launched a Website, after a lot of requests we decided to launch it.

You can access the screenshots, concept art and features section. We'll be updating as we go along.

The address is not our own host so we dont have our own address yet but this will have to do for now.

http://www.bloodline-guild.net/FOT

Greetz,

Amaru
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

Hey guys,

Does anyone remember who made the custom Camo Layout for FOT? I like to give the guy some credit since I'm using the camo layout... but I cant find the name of the guy that made it.
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

We received some really incredible tiles today from Toan Vu Ngoc, he also did amazing sprites for us.

Hope you like the screens. There is no way I can post all of them because it's a lot of stuff, so this is not even close to the stuff that we got.

Greetz,

Amaru

Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Good stuff, I can't wait to play this.

Just finished Quagmire and What? and I'm ready for more.

(Those are FOT missions. Big fat ones.)

Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

We could probebly use someone like you for our team... Interested ?
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

Amaru wrote:We could probebly use someone like you for our team... Interested ?
I don't think I have even opened the editor.

I'll look into it, but I doubt it.

Maybe a one-shot mission in about a year. That's more realistic.

I like the idea of making a retro-futuristic city with lots of skywalks, pedestrian bridges, monorails, overpasses/underpasses, tunnels, etc.

Given the clipping problems and ladder dysfunction, I suspect such a map would crash or just be bewildering.
Perhaps multiple maps representing different parts of town.
Maybe a flooded section that was in a valley so people there live in the tops of skyscrapers.
Even have castes/clans of people: Rooftop people, boat/barge/water people, sewer people, ground people(rare- perhaps all streets are mined and barricaded and people get around using portcullises/rope bridges or tightropes/etc. or just whatever above ground links are available), oh- "middle-of building" people between the sewer-folk and the rooftoppers.

It would take until 2010 to make this bugger, as if it would ever happen.

Then there is the issue of water vehicles for the "LakeVale District".
Just fake it with teleports after paying a ferryman?

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

:lalala:
:drunk:
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

Updated some of the new items we're using, our Sprites & Tiles editor has really put a lot of work in it. Certainly some really nice eye catching material amoung it.

Take a look at: Http://www.bloodline-guild.net/FOT/features.htm
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

Screenshot looks sweet. I agree with you about the walkways and the different levels in a building. Making a building multi leveled takes a lot of time and working with the editor set on "Only Show Tiles On Current Level" is a real pain in the ass sometimes.

If you ever feel like you're not getting anywhere with the map, give me a call and maybe we can do something with it. I'm sure one of our mappers is prepaired to take a look at it.

Greetz,

Amaru
Redeye
I lied
I lied

Post by Redeye »

40MM poison grenade bullets

These just look like fun. Look evil, too. Put on your Mr. Yuck t-shirt and load up an M207 with these things. :drunk: :dance: :drunk:
Instead of just doing poison damage, the victims should be winded and/or blinded temporarily.
(Is there a way to code for that? Or is it just crit table stuff. Can it be made an auto crit for no extra damage but fix the crit number to give the "winded" status? Otherwise just add the effect from the stun grenade and or acid grenade. Chemicals should be very scary.)

12G Explosive Shells

Mini-grenades!

7.62mm AP

I wished for these in FOT. Turbocharge that SAW or Vindicator vs. 'bots.

I thought EMP grenade-bullets for the M79 were a glaring omission from FOT.

Incendiary grenbullets! woohoo!

Beautiful, I hope this is linked to flamer death animations. And the screaming.
Amaru
Regular
Regular

Post by Amaru »

I personally haven't looked at the effects for these type of ammunition. It's something we'll do at a later stage.

My personal oppinion is that in order to give the player the option to keep their weapons that they are given earlier in the campaign and by giving them upgraded ammunition, they will be able to keep their weapons and still kill higher and harder enemies.

I don't think we'll be going to use the EMP grenade, although it looks so incredibly sweet. We won't be going with Robots in this campaign. We are doing some extra's and specials and maybe we can do a special mission with robots where this kind of ammunition will be required. I personally want to continue the original storyline. Robots didn't survive.

We have been talking about new Armor types and one thing that came up was Reaver Armor. If we make it that the Armor holds a fusion battery, the EMP Grenades will have extra penetration or something like that.

Time will tell... We'll first have to look into making new armor types... which if we're going to it, will also change the way characters will look while wearing it... if that can not be done, then we're not doing new armors.
Our Host!