Interplay Attempts to Pimp DAC

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Kharn wrote:Then that's not related to this subject.
actually, that is quite related, because haris repeatedly claimed that the very inclusion of an item creation feature would somehow necessitate that a fallout 3 would be turned into an MMOG fuckfest. if you aren't debating that item crafting could potentially be included as a feature without ruining the game, then what are you arguing for? that haris is an illiterate hack? this has been well established already.

conversely, i and others have claimed that item creation could be a good addition to fallout for mechanic type characters as long as it isn't implemented in a munchkinesque sort of way. i feel that making items it fits the postapo, resource scavenging atmosphere quite well actually and i fail to see why it would fuck with gameplay, the atmosphere, or the holy fallout canon at all, provided it's nicely done. thusfar, no one has provided any reasons why this couldn't be so.

do you still love me kharn?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Haris wrote:Item crafting only works in game if it is multiplayer. Otherwise its just simulation of mmorpg. Kinda what it could be like if you where able to play it with others.

If you would start playing games for once instead of spending all your time spaming and reading forums than you would realise that 99% of single player games dont have crafting and 100% of all mmorpgs do.

Its like saying just cause a game has cars and you race against other cars it doesnt mean its a racing game. Thats your logic anyway.
Take Diablo II. Has item crafting, but it's certainly not a MMO. It's as much of a single player game, as it is multi player.

Do you even know what MMO stands for? Apparently not.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

atoga wrote:actually, that is quite related, because haris repeatedly claimed that the very inclusion of an item creation feature would somehow necessitate that a fallout 3 would be turned into an MMOG fuckfest. if you aren't debating that item crafting could potentially be included as a feature without ruining the game, then what are you arguing for?
The original argument was simply about the fact that Fallout doesn't work as an MMO.

The reason "that's not related to this subject" is because Super mentioned itemcrafting "as a passive skill", which is not the same mechanic we were discussing.

Kind of veering of the subject, though. This wasn't really about item crafting, it's just what haris really really wanted to talk about.

Frissy; you're really turning into a dunce fast, man.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Otherwise its just simulation of mmorpg.
Jagged Alliance 2 - the ultimate MMORPG Simulator.
99% of single player games dont have crafting and 100% of all mmorpgs do.
Fun Fact: Everyone apperently got DnD Online's genre wrong.

Once again; Item Crafting doesn't equal MMO feature.

Feature - a prominent or conspicuous part or characteristic.

While individual MMO's have item crafting, the fact that not all MMO's have it means it's not a feature of MMORPGs.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Kharn wrote:The reason "that's not related to this subject" is because Super mentioned itemcrafting "as a passive skill", which is not the same mechanic we were discussing.
it's still related, because nowhere have we argued over the exact mechanics, especially not that aspect of them, we're just arguing over item creation as a general feature. someone (probably you) claimed that item creation wouldn't work in fallout.

what haris was talking about in the first place is by and large indecipherable to me, so i glazed over that part. haris seemed to have drafted up a rather arbitrary list of necessary characteristics for what makes something an MMORPG (bless his soul), so that is what i caught onto.

i do hate nma's fetish for order, and the wacky idea that all things should stay on topic that comes with it.

fair enough though. :icecream:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Congratulations due, on this, a scheduled demolition of the perspicacious made possible only through the crossing of I and the dotting of T. Oho. :drunk:
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Kharn wrote:
Frissy; you're really turning into a dunce fast, man.
I always thought you already thinked of me as an: moronic-not-listening-retard-that-knows-nothing-of-fallout. So you telling me i'm turning into a dunce...well that's actually...mmm...mmm...can't get the word in mind (I'm a Scotu's follower ya'know...plus wtf does being a enemy of learning have anything to do with this? Ahh...I actually said you we're right a few posts back...).

But I still don't understand how it can be... you are telling that item crafting cannot and will not work in Fallout. I only said it ALREADY HAS THAT (ever heard of Healing powder? Or Myron's specialities?)

I still think both of you are right, but that has nothing do with the harsh reality that Haris doesn't know better and you thinking you know better.

So item crafting is not a MMO's feature...so when a RPG doesn't have that...it's not a RPG feature either...? So why the hell are you so worked up about it? It is a RPG feature, but not a MMO because....er...because...some one fill the gap, I'm still pretty much mentally shaken by being called a dunce.
:anger:
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Haris wrote:Ok i try to explain this, not that i think it will get in to any of your thickheaded skulls.
Of course the irony doesn't get through your thickheaded skull that you're making shit up, again.
Its not about mmorpg mechanics and crafting and how its defined as. The thing is that you have been picking on mmorpg mechanics as something that would never work in fallout universe cause you have to be chosen or vault dweller or some hero type for the game to be true to fallout series.
Things like perma-death, the amount of armed people being in a location far exceeding the resource base, the population scale, and all the other setting-destroying aspects of a MMOG that wouldn't fit the Fallout SETTING.

We've been over this before, Haris. You've just been too fucking stupid to understand.
You have been saying plenty of times how Wasteland Merc is proof of that. That mmorpg mechanics just dont work in fallout.
No, moron, you made it as PROOF that Fallout Online was possible, from your "expertise" on UOX shards. We already know, it's still on this forum and probably still archived at NMA.

So far, there's nothing but the graphics that has anything in common with the Fallout setting. Unfortunately, you're too stupid to understand that "setting" involved a lot more than just graphics.
You have been accusing Harve for ruining your lovley van buren that you wished for so long.
It's Herve, dipshit. Amusing, I also don't recall liking Van Buren, but that was for setting reasons.
Than when someone points out that van buren was going to have exact those mechanics that you called lame in wasteland merc for just being what they are.
Item creation is not exclusive to MMOGs. A shitty collection of shitty MMOG mechanics, what you did in Wasteland Merc, is far different than item creation and co-op gameplay.
All of a sudden they are not mmorpg mechanics they are perfectly fine in fallout universe and you have all been silently wishing for them.
It was those in conjunction with everything else you insipidly shat into the Fallout engine. Item creation is a part of gameplay. When it is used, like many shitty MMOGs, to replace or serve as gameplay, then it's simply shit.
Well you know what. To put it in your inteligent words that you often use "fuck you all".
If you're too stupid to understand basic concepts, then go back to your UO shard emulator and go emo'te some more.

*CUTS*
*CUTS*
*CUTS*
frissy wrote:I love how Rosh shoots it down as NOT being a MMO feature, because heavens no it cannot be! Because anything Onlineish cannot be fallouty.
I only proved that it was used in earlier games, such as Ultima, Wizardry, Might and Magic, etc. and isn't indicative of MMOG gameplay in itself. It is merely a mechanic, much like scaled-level enemies, that can be applied to the design of the game. Whether MMOG gameplay should be combined with Fallout's setting is a completely different topic.
Obsidian:
Now working on Fallout: New Undermountain!

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Rosh, I think you should stop drinking coffee or something.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

I always thought you already thinked of me as an: moronic-not-listening-retard-that-knows-nothing-of-fallout.
What's wrong with you? So people disagreed with FOOL being a good idea and suddenly everyone hates you and blah blah blah.

Frissy you were never paranoid, what happened?

Bah have a :drunk:

Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Rosh, I think you should stop drinking coffee or something.
I concur

It's not that it matters, either. Haris and his mods stink, FO3 will be shit, so there's nothing to argue
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I wonder what happens when people talk about Fallout at work around Rosh.
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I wonder what happens when people talk about Fallout at work around Rosh.
We will designate them Rosh's coworker number 1 and Rosh's coworker number 2, or CR1 and CR2.

CR1: Hey man I recently played this game called Fallout.
Rosh: HEY ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT FALLOUT?
CR2: Yeah, it's a good game isn't it?
Rosh: NO IT'S THE BEST GAME BANNED!
CR1: Uh, yeah, I kind of liked the talking deathclaws in Fallout 2, they were zany
Rosh: IDIOT THAT'S NOT PART OF THE SETTING
CR1: What? I'm just sa-
Rosh: BANNED
CR2: But I-
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
frissy
Strider
Strider

Post by frissy »

Briosafreak wrote:
I always thought you already thinked of me as an: moronic-not-listening-retard-that-knows-nothing-of-fallout.
What's wrong with you? So people disagreed with FOOL being a good idea and suddenly everyone hates you and blah blah blah.

Frissy you were never paranoid, what happened?

Bah have a :drunk:

Actually, I'm way ahead of you :drunk:

I'm not paranoid (or perhaps I am, but I'm sure those midgets are close...), but I've seen this "disagreedin" happening more and more, and with many people. It's also done by the same people who always do it, and always live under the full-enjoyment of "staff". Just because certain people are moderators or just plain simple god's doesn't mean they are all-knowing-fallout-gurus. Just because you've been there the forever doesn't mean you're right (all the time). In NMA it doesn't really matter if you know more, or less. The results have become the same. The idea of NMA, which again is ruled by a few.

You can even see it on this thread. I won't go on and give more solid arguments (the word NMA loves), because there's no point to it. You don't want to hear arguments or facts. Why would you, because they would just be different from yours. Your way is always the right way...

You can go all mushy-bitchy if you want, but I've been around long enough to notice the change. NMA was about the community before...now it's not.

Ironic. Sounds a bit like "By Gamers, For Gamers" and now...
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Philip K. Dick (1928 - 1982), Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Agrajag
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Agrajag »

So to recap:
  1. Interplay wants to make a fallout mmo. The fallout fans gets upset, as usual, because a fallout mmo is by definition a paradox.
  2. Somebody points out that for a number of reasons, fallout cannot successfully be made into an mmo, since the definitions of an mmo game would destroy vital parts of the fallout setting.
  3. It is pointed out that the "fallout mmo" will be a commercial disaster.
  4. Haris argues that people wants to buy mmo's, not single player games, and that's why Interplay is trying to make a fallout mmo.
  5. Haris is flamed for being a retard.
  6. Haris says that it's not true that making a mmo out of fallout would ruin the setting, but fails to provide any argument as to why that would be. In the same breath, he claims that Van Buren was "going in the direction" of becoming an mmo.
  7. It is pointed out that just because Van Buren was going to have crafting in it, that doesn't mean it was in any way "going in the direction" of becoming an mmo.
  8. Haris claims that the above is not true, since crafting is an mmo feature.
  9. It is made clear that crafting is not an mmo feature. It may appear in mmo games, but that doesn't mean it is an mmo feature.
  10. Haris tries to defend his viewpoint.
  11. It becomes apparant that Haris is only arguing because his crappy mods were insulted. He argues that his mods were disliked because they had crafting in them, but since crafting would have been used in VB, then that must mean it's not the idea of crafting in a fallout game/mod that is the problem. From this correct observation, Haris makes the moronic and incorrect conclusion that fallout will work as an mmo.
  12. It is again made clear that crafting is not an mmo features. It is also observed that Haris' mod sucked because of Haris being a moron, rather than the mod including crafting. That is to say, Haris' mod was crap because it was poorly excecuted, the idea behind the mod was bad, it barely had any gameplay, it didn't have any real quests, it had no story, etc. The crafting in Haris mod may have sucked, but that doesn't mean crafting as an idea must suck.

Let's write that final thing down once again, just for Haris:

If A has B, and this leads to D, that does not necessarily mean that C leads to D, if C has B. Got it? I thought not. Again. If your mod has crafting in it, and your mod suck, that does not imply that any other mod/game with crafting in it sucks.
  13. Finally, three pages later, Haris agrees that crafting and multiplayer are not mmo features. Then his brain probably collapsed due to the stress of thinking logical for once, and he quickly repells by stating that because VB was going to have crafting (which one sentence earlier he just admitted was NOT an mmo feature), we all secretly want fallout to be an mmo. Wtf?

Jesus Christ, Haris never cease to depress me.

Roshambo's posts are funny as usual, though.

Also:
Kharn wrote:We will designate them Rosh's coworker number 1 and Rosh's coworker number 2, or CR1 and CR2.

CR1: Uh, yeah, I kind of liked the talking deathclaws in Fallout 2, they were zany
:rofl:
HHHhhhhrrraaaaaaaaahhhhHHH
Matt_Helm
Glutton Creeper designer

Post by Matt_Helm »

Didn't a lot of the Ultima games, hailed as the pinnacle of single player roleplaying games in some circles, have crafting and such? If I am not mistaken, didn't crafting in the early Ultima games inspire crafting in UO and subsequent MMOs? So it looks to me like MMO crafting derived from single player games with crafting.
-Do we have anything resembling a plan?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Matt_Helm wrote:Didn't a lot of the Ultima games, hailed as the pinnacle of single player roleplaying games in some circles, have crafting and such? If I am not mistaken, didn't crafting in the early Ultima games inspire crafting in UO and subsequent MMOs? So it looks to me like MMO crafting derived from single player games with crafting.
I usually don't get to say this that often because I don't go by it that often either; READ THE FUCKIN THREAD. Rosh, I once killed a man, already mentioned this. Don't worry I totally would of done the same thing.

Haris is one crazy motherfucker, it was hard to understand wtf he was talking about. Is he a native english speaker?
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

i liked haris better when he had the luke skywalker av :chew:
Haris
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Haris »

Interplay wants to make a fallout mmo. The fallout fans gets upset, as usual, because a fallout mmo is by definition a paradox.
Fallout fans dont get upset, 20 fallout fanboys get upset.
Somebody points out that for a number of reasons, fallout cannot successfully be made into an mmo, since the definitions of an mmo game would destroy vital parts of the fallout setting.
Yea you would be able to resurect/respawn and you would not be chosen one or vault dweller, something that van buren co op actually ment.
It is pointed out that the "fallout mmo" will be a commercial disaster.
Not bigger than fallout 3.

Haris says that it's not true that making a mmo out of fallout would ruin the setting, but fails to provide any argument as to why that would be. In the same breath, he claims that Van Buren was "going in the direction" of becoming an mmo.
Not once did i say it was becoming an mmo but was having so called non fallouty features. Crafting by using skills and resources and co op wich automaticly removes hero type of game. Imagine 6 players entering new reno in fallout 2, how would that work? And just by 6 players thing quests would have to be reworked to fit multiplayer.
It is pointed out that just because Van Buren was going to have crafting in it, that doesn't mean it was in any way "going in the direction" of becoming an mmo.
Its not just crafting, its coop and crafting and the fact you no longer where chosen one.
Haris claims that the above is not true, since crafting is an mmo feature.
The kind of crafting used in van buren is. Crafting in fallout 2 where you make healing powder is more suited for single player game. But according to that screenshot its just plane uo/wasteland merc/wow kinda crafting in van buren and nothing else.

It becomes apparant that Haris is only arguing because his crappy mods were insulted. He argues that his mods were disliked because they had crafting in them, but since crafting would have been used in VB, then that must mean it's not the idea of crafting in a fallout game/mod that is the problem. From this correct observation, Haris makes the moronic and incorrect conclusion that fallout will work as an mmo.
It becomes apparant that Argajag is only arguing cause Living dead mod is more advanced than anything he could pull of in moding.
Last edited by Haris on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Haris wrote: Fallout fans dont get upset, 20 fallout fanboys get upset.
Unfortunately, Haris, many people have already expressed their ideals about this subject. There are those who understand game and setting design, and there are the mentally sterile that still try to paste their mental ejaculate around.
Yet nma and dac still claim that none of these things can ever work in fallout setting.
No, dumbshit, we've said that MMOG mechanics and gameplay style doesn't suit Fallout's design or setting.

Co-op and item crafting again are not exclusive nor really representative of MMOG gameplay or mechanics.
Yea you would be able to resurect/respawn and you would not be chosen one or vault dweller, something that van buren co op actually ment.
Except that a party in a co-op game is different than a collection of five asshats going into an instance to farm. I'd wonder if WoW has sapped your intelligence somehow, except that I know you've always been a complete moron.
It is pointed out that the "fallout mmo" will be a commercial disaster.
Not bigger than fallout 3.
Fallout 3 can be easily slapped out onto consoles for the X-Brick cattle, as Bethesda is doing now. Online games of a commercial scope (again, not talking about your shitty UO shard emulator) take a LOT more resources, including server racks and other technical points you're far too ignorant about.
Haris claims that the above is not true, since crafting is an mmo feature.
The kind of crafting used in van buren is. Crafting in fallout 2 where you make healing powder is more suited for single player game. But according to that screenshot its just plane uo/wasteland merc/wow kinda crafting in van buren and nothing else.
Except, as noted before, such crafting is not "plane MMO-style" crafting; it is object crafting, which did NOT start out with your precious UO. I've actually (and regrettably) worked on that game long before you've failed to rape anything worthwhile from its design. You obviously haven't learned from any of the mistakes, and seem to be living a few years behind with some accumulated denial. The difference between us, is that I remember what Ultima was before it was an uninspiring online piece of shit. Millions followed that series for reasons other than incessantly farming the sides of hills. There was an actual purpose to the crafting in Ultima before it became a novelty in UO. And, as other have noted with JA2, it's not just limited to the RPG genre, it exists in the tactical genre as well, as a similar mechanic. In a game that was being designed before most MMOGs as well.

Side note: Congrats to Matt Asshelmet again to failing to notice the simply fucking obvious, again. How many more retards must I repeat myself for?
PS: And wow servers are back on with new Arena battleground feature now. So you wont see me around for a while now.
Finally, WoW has a good use - keeping the feeble-minded enthralled. :D

frissy: When you actually post something to substantiate what you say, then you might be taken seriously. When you start to suck off the same pipe dream as Haris, then you're not doing so well. There's a reason why NMA and other places tire of the same old hat discussion - nothing you say will have any affect upon the years of factual design proof that Fallout + Online = FOOL. Unless you go back and look at those arguments, people don't care to give much credibility to "It could be done" or "It would be kewl". There is no way to retain the setting, the core gameplay of Fallout, and have it in MMOG mechanics. Therefore, it would be in name only, and if you're stupid enough to think a name makes a game...

Then you get into a "how x could be adapted to fit my shitty argument for FOOL" list, with the inevitable:
SPEECH: No idea.
Because it would be USELESS compared to the other skills. Such as, for instance, furniture-making. There is no possible in-game effect for that to work with other player characters, and this extends to other issues of the Fallout character system, until your "fixes" result in no resemblance to the original game design. Welcome to the problems involved with Ultima -> UO.

Let's even look at another:
PERCEPTION: Distance modifier. Hmm...I really don't see the problem with this one. You still need to aim. low PE ->Bigger crosshair (making targeted shots a pain), high PE -> you can pick his fingers off or aim for the sweet spots). You could also make the whole distance blurry when you suck optically (a bit like the fog you usually see in games, but I hate that. Blurry.).
Until you start to remember that in MMOGs, real-time combat is a given in the mainstream, and TB combat doesn't really work in an environment unless you have something like The Realm's combat clouds.

You want to whine about having your ass handed to you to wear as a hat, yet you've failed to notice that you're a few years too late to be spouting stupid shit about the subject. Much of that was debunked by even the original designers back in 97-98 on the official forums.
Kharn wrote:We will designate them Rosh's coworker number 1 and Rosh's coworker number 2, or CR1 and CR2.

Unfortunately for this example, I tend to hire people with a clue, who are able to spot the good points and flaws of games without personal bias, able to articulate their reasons coherently as well as understand simple concepts (such as the difference between DC Comics and EC Comics). I don't make it a habit of hiring people who would, say, be told something and still sit there with their head up their asses and wait for "official word" before doing anything for themselves, where other sites "scoop" the public clues I and others leave upon NMA's own news forum because people didn't care to read between the lines themselves.

I can go there if you want to, Kharn. Including the part of being told that it is my job to make sure the "NMA lead admin" makes sure he reads his own fucking news forum, how I was being told I had to pretty much hand over my sources and info completely to you and the others without any regard to how you lazy shits would treat it and the people at Bethesda who DO have integrity and who are putting their jobs on the line for you to copy+paste the only clues you care to sit on your asses for (and be handed like everything else), including how another admin and a moderator would rather bicker over how Bethesda hasn't spoon-fed you anything (and other useless shit) instead of discussing what should have been more important - details about the game that are now too late to do anything about, because they are gearing up for a crunch phase.

So, everyone, keep posting your "I wish for x" lists, they aren't going to matter worth dick (and haven't for about the last year), and you'll have a better chance of having Santa visit than receive anything on those lists from Bethesda. Probably because people have been playing Bethesda's game of having you sit and wait for them to speak, so it has curtailed most of the negativity to deal with until they don't have to worry about it - when most of the idiots have already bought the game. Just like Oblivion. People want to wait until the moment they magically have permission to speak, and have played the game after having paid for it. Sorry, they now have your money, you mean nothing else to them. Feedback then is a little too late.

Truthfully, there is MUCH of Fallout that could use improvement, without compromising the core design. The same could be said about other titles, yet Fallout was the one that stood for good design and honest CRPG gameplay when other titles were taking Lowest Common Denominator to new trends. Now, no longer.
Obsidian:
Now working on Fallout: New Undermountain!

They promise to spend only a year on this title - only a year less than the original Descent to Undermountain!
Our Host!