First Real Fallout 3 News!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

What's the Internet for if not griping?
goatse-guy and tubgirl?

yeah... anyways, its nice that someone is at least talking to us.
That Smileyface fella went quiet after a few overly diplomatic posts. None of which were in any really interesting topics... they were more of the 'Why did you touch me there?' and 'I dont want you to call me a cunt.' nature....
baby arm
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by baby arm »

yeah... anyways, its nice that someone is at least talking to us.
Fallout fans always sound so....lonely. Like that old commercial where it's a chilly Thanksgiving evening and all the family is inside enjoying their holiday meal while the poor dog is tied up outside, shivering. Maybe Emil will bring us table scraps.
skin loves <a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com">godless children</a>
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Just a thought from reading posts on this forum for months now:

There seems to be an assumption that the only groups that BethSoft can pitch Fallout 3 to are:
(a) Fallout fans (us)
(b) Elder Scrolls fans (everyone else?)

... and the assumption carries further by saying that the desires of the two groups of fans are mutually disjoint.

Given that the latter half of this assumption is true (mutual disjointness), I'm not convinced that BethSoft's audience would only consist of these two groups upon release of Fallout 3. Let me elaborate.

What I would really like to see is for BethSoft to branch-out from its current M.O. -- "OMFG grafiX!", like most game companies nowadays -- and to really focus on the more subtle things with Fallout 3. We've already heard the demand for such things on this forum: non-linear gameplay, immersion, choices, character development, etc. Ignoring the specifics, I think the majority of people on this forum are just saying one thing: "tell us a story, and make it convincing."

Of course, the subtle aspects of gaming don't get "Wow, ain't that a sight! Go pay $50 to see this for yourselves!" comments, but they are the sorts of things that keep people saying to one another "Have you played _____? Play _____, then we'll talk." The last comment is a badge of honor, the first is insubstantial.

If my "tell a story" idea is sound, then it doesn't matter what groups of gamers you target: people will hear about the game, and they will play it for themselves. Probably 1/2 to 2/3 of your audience will be Fallout fans, maybe a 1/6 (or less) will be those who buy based on BethSoft's reputation (i.e. E.S./Oblivion fans), but I predict a good portion of sales will go to just "the curious" (somebody else do the math).

So Emil, welcome, and tell us a good fuckin' story, please. :paper:

ON ANOTHER NOTE: I'd be interested to see a "Wow, ain't that a sight! Go pay $50 to see this for yourselves!" emoticon? Perhaps you could tag it :tubgirl:?
Death to quotes.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

tag it :tubgirl:
For a while tubgirl was tagged :tubgirl:, and goatseguy :goatseguy:.

But the other day I noticed, much to my anger, that this is not the case anymore.
Fallout fans always sound so....lonely.
lonely on the top?
I wish D:
Locke
Respected
Respected

Post by Locke »

Emil, is there any likelihood that you're introducing some fascinating hopeless romantic ingredient into your game? love opportunities in fallout were so poor, my hero man was good for nothing when it came to syngenesis, so I started playing Sims instead.

ALSO.
I wouldn't rely on your literary men, it seems to me that bethesda guys don't read much; and it bothers me vastly. so I meditated upon fallout 3 myself and arrived at a following conclusion: shamans is the keystone. they should be everywhere. also, Ray Bradbury-like humanitarian anguish under a lowering echoless sky, or maybe excerpts from classical English poetry. I'd say James Clarence Mangan, although he's an Irish. "Red lightning lighten'd thro' my blood" and stuff. and Carl Gustav Jung's papyrus in ramshackle toilets. heritage of the old world, irrelevant and useless.

and you should brood over "Somewhere over the rainbow" as an introductory song.
Last edited by Locke on Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
vx trauma
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by vx trauma »

awesome idea there locke. sims 2099 - a post apocalypse dating game.
Please Kill Yourself So I Can Rock
PsyckoSama
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by PsyckoSama »

vx trauma wrote:awesome idea there locke. sims 2099 - a post apocalypse dating game.
Been done... in Japan... with tenticles...
minigunwielder
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by minigunwielder »

St. Toxic wrote:
Jesus Christ wrote:
minigunwielder wrote:Fact:The Oblivion source code was made by maimed Chinese children possesed by the foul daemons of the Warp.

Opinion:Emil is a Toddling.

DIFFERENTIATE THE TWO!
the first fact you presented is more or less a bigger contender for a baseless opinion than the second opinion
When Tzeentch speakss, I can tells hiss truth from liesss :evil_laugh:
ESF morons keep stealing my damned Yahoo accounts.
:anger:
Locke
Respected
Respected

Post by Locke »

vx trauma wrote:awesome idea there locke. sims 2099 - a post apocalypse dating game.
I didn't propose that, you mental berserker. I was on stimulants from age 18 to 21 so you shouldn't wonder if all my posts are total fucking crap.
Thor Kaufman wrote:you like him because of his big dick
big? I wouldn't say "big". it's more like... acceptable.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Locke wrote:Emil... I wouldn't rely on your literary men, it seems to me that bethesda guys don't read much...
That said: Emil, what are the chances of bringing "outside consultants" into the Fallout 3 development process to help write the main story, and to keep it consistent both with itself and with the history of the Fallout universe? As has already been noted numerous times, Fallout-type games are not exactly B.S.'s forte. Perhaps a little bit of employment expansion should be called for.

Either that, or strap your current writers down, and feed them philosophy and history intravenously until they are spewing quotes.

"Nurse! A 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire,' S.T.A.T.!"
Death to quotes.
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

With even the faintest flavour of Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3 really will not be Fallout. For this reason, I would also highly recommend 'consultants' who know what Fallout means...

Without the correct atmosphere and feel, it may even be a great game, but it won't be fallout... And if Fallout 3 doesn't feel like a Fallout game, I think the award for 'greatest act of sacrilege against gaming' may be en-route to Bethesda Softworks' offices.

Why do you think developers even *glance* at our site and forums?
Mosey
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mosey »

2Bethsoft_Emil

There is russian saying: " The most difficult is to wait and catch up!"

I shall set a question which excites all fans...

From the moment of reception of the rights to game has passed 2,5 years...

When we shall see first concept art of F3?

Thanks for your answer...
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

T-900 wrote:With even the faintest flavour of Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3 really will not be Fallout. For this reason, I would also highly recommend 'consultants' who know what Fallout means...

Without the correct atmosphere and feel, it may even be a great game, but it won't be fallout... And if Fallout 3 doesn't feel like a Fallout game, I think the award for 'greatest act of sacrilege against gaming' may be en-route to Bethesda Softworks' offices.

Why do you think developers even *glance* at our site and forums?
That gave us Fallout 2, and then Fallout Tactics. You want more?
T-900
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by T-900 »

Do excuse me for speaking my thoughts, darlings :chick:

You have to remember we're not all so devastatingly intelligent as you.

And I think developers -probably- glance at these forums out of a sort of morbid fascination. That's why I come here O.o
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

T-900 wrote:Why do you think developers even *glance* at our site and forums?
*chuckles soft-heartedly*

Has 4too commented yet?
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

FO3 will be Wasteland Merc 4 :rofl: :haris:
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Be Careful What You Wish For, The Sequel

Post by 4too »

Be Careful What You Wish For, The Sequel

Kharn:
... Has 4too commented yet?

Vague Tangential Appearance

http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewt ... c&start=80

Perhaps the jinxed Trait i riff-ed about could be based on a more accessible IP, the possible player characters in FO:BOS.

The bobbed hair Babe would inspire the 'Guns Akimbo' double D breasted, dual wielding.

The Mr. T stereo type would foster a super melee swinging Trait and be shadowed by some suitable heroic hubris. The bull in a china shop, having to pay for stuff he broke while shopping or bar hopping.

The ghoul would have some Trait as bait. The real blessing / curse would result from the eternal body / the stigma of epidermal decay. Killer flatulence.

Wait, was some game based on fart fragging, forget the name, some cute as a Pokemon critter .....

and ''be careful what you wish for'' Kharn.

4too
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I think 4too and Blargh should have an MC debate. It would be like eminem in 8th mile.
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Research shows that 4too breaks "fat beats" on the "mike", while Blargh is in fact mute. Pit against Aptyp, the official DAC mc.
Icabod
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Icabod »

I liked the quickpockets dual wielding in fallout... sigh.
Our Host!