Random Encounter Glitch/Bug

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Random Encounter Glitch/Bug

Post by Manoil »

I'd made an edit to Pipboy's speeches in his Random Encounter, but when I unzipped everything, the file did not follow with, and not only did he not say anything, he didn't join my party, and we'd leave, and soon enough, the EXACT same random encounter would return, and the same problem. I fixed this when I manually copied the speech file to its respective folder.

However, now a related problem occurs. After dealing with that, I ran into the Encounter with the bouncing skull. Not only do I not hear anything from him, but it continues to reappear.

The thing is, I didn't edit that one whatsoever.

Anyone know what the problem is?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Random encounters are totally random, you could get 2 pipboy encounters or 20. As long as you haven't found all of the seperate encounters you can keep on getting them again and again.

As for the dialogue did you edit it and then repackage the file in the bos file? If so you might of corrupted the bos file. Just leave edited files in your hd folders and leave the bos files alone. You might have to copy it manually across from the cd.

Otherwise when you unzipped everything did you use the 'use folder names' option? If not then the files have unzipped to the wrong places.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Actually, I don't know why myself, but I have two seperate versions of FoT on my comp. I just took it from the other, untouched one.
But yeah. what you said explains it. Thanks.

But there is ONE more problem. Certain units, those who I've taken out of my squad, have their portraits still in my squad when I come back. I take them out, some times multiples of the same one, and it continues to occur. This only happens after certain things, I guess, because I just restarted my file after it kept happening in Epsilon Base, and it's happening now in Delta. Can't quite understand it.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Sounds like the demotion bug, if you get demoted below the rank of any of your squad who you've returned to the recruit pool, or then return to the pool. Then the game tries to give them back to you and every time you open the recruit pool it duplicates them and adds them to your party.

Usually it's triggered after Newton if your main character got switched with one of the reavers, though it can happen at any point if you've somehow managed to get yourself demoted. Only solution is to avoid any bunkers it's happening at or reload an earlier savegame before you got demoted.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Shit. But yeah, that sounds like what's goin on.

Is it possible to just get promoted again and remove the problem all together?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Maybe, but it was over a year ago when I was trying to find out what caused the bug and I can't remember if getting promoted again will solve the problem or just prevent it from happening in the other bunkers.

All I do remember is that it's a bunker specific bug, in that if you go back to other bunkers they should be alright unless you've returned or then return a ranking recruit to the pool there as well.

Usually when the problem occurs (after Newton), you'll find that you can't exit the map because you don't have all your people on the grid. You'll have one or more recruits invisible and will need to open the recruit pool to get control of them but opening the pool is what causes the duplication, every time you return to the map. So you can end up with umpteen squad members not just six.

You can try getting promoted, which ususally happens after every mission anyway, in fact it's very hard to get demoted and stay demoted unless you go back to finished maps and slaughter the neutral inhabitants or ride around looking for 'friendly' encounters to massacre. Then just take your main character back to the inflicted bunker, pick up the duplicates and then leave, take them to another bunker and dispose of them, or better yet get them killed in an RE. Then return to the bunker and see if you get anymore duplicates.
Our Host!