what the fuck?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

what the fuck?

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I just bought a GBA game on ebay, paid using Paypal. Within 2 hours I had two emails from a fake paypal address (as well as the official reciept from the real paypal) asking me to verify my account information blah blah, linking to a site that quite clearly was set up to steal passwords. What I'm wondering is, how the fuck do they knjow I've recently used paypal? TWO of these emails after a period of not having any of them for months, after I've used paypal to buy something, can't be a coincidence.
Mekorig
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Mekorig »

maybe some program inside Paypal system?
She says, do you believe
In the one true edge
By fastening your safety belts
And stepping towards the ledge
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

perhaps your seller is going to leave you bad feeback if you dont give him your credit card for dr. mario.
:chew:
Thor Kaufman
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Thor Kaufman »

Why would anyone want to pay for pals? :dizzy:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

dirt. i love all that dirt.
:chew:
boywoos
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by boywoos »

cake. i love a bit of cake.
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

You might possibly have some sort of spyware on your computer that sent word back to the miscreants that you used Paypal, so they sent out their fake emails to lure you into their scam.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
MadBill
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by MadBill »

I shed a tear for the long lost days of carefree internet spending. Its a bloody tear from all the rage.
I miss the good ol' USSA.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I thought you were poor, Teat, how come you can buy games?
Kahgan
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Kahgan »

he's borrowing money, claiming that it is an "investement" :chew:
BRING BACK CENTERED DAC!

REGIN* FOR KING OF NORWAY!

http://forum.nwsgames.net/index.php
Excessive
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Excessive »

I suppose they have some kind of trojan on their servers. Otherwise, it seems like a coincidence.
Oh my gawd, they killed Kenny, those are bastards!
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

S4ur0n27 wrote:I thought you were poor, Teat, how come you can buy games?
Well, I am poor. But this game was second hand and a GBA one, so it worked out to be cheap. I'm moving to London in a month though, so the cost of living will go up D:

As for the emails, I guess they were coincidence. My PC is pretty spyware clean.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Mr. Teatime wrote:
S4ur0n27 wrote: My PC is pretty spyware clean.
That is what they want you to think.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
JohnPnP
I play with my P(n)P
I play with my P(n)P

Post by JohnPnP »

Who is this they, and how many squirrels can they sell me?
EzekielLyne (8:34:01 PM): would you be the one they make fun of?
EzekielLyne (8:34:31 PM): like "This here is John, the retarded gamer, he enjoys madden 2005, and grand theft auto
EzekielLyne (8:35:02 PM): and he is eagerly expecting the arrival of the next Lara Croft game
Icabod
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Icabod »

You all know what helps internet baddies from spreading? ...

Format your drive instead of fragmenting it when the sectors turn red. Works for me.

Mr. Teatime: Sorry I really haven't had enough experience with paypal to share my experiences. Although... that one time they asked for a few cents from my checking? That was legit right? Hmmmm, I'll probably have to bribe them with gifts of primely aged and conditioned tree-rodents and perhaps woo them with cyber-sex and several flasks of W.o.W. booze to get that change back huh? Damn 1337 people...

To JohnPnP: If your talking about that one spammer that always sends scanners and trojans with garbage for titles to my email,"asdffdas" for example (yea s/hes epically 1337). He or she'd probably net as many pregnant squirrels (most squirrel for the buck, assuming a little nursing of the young, some assembly required in other words) as s/he could, in addition to pungent-sweet, yet hollow promises of primo squirrel. I know, they'll stoop that low. Phibs I say!

Kind of like the whole rancid custard smelling egg in PS:T , it just turns out to be a smelly old undead guys memories. I always figured it would just blow up the whole plane of torment and save it from the defacement it suffered in CoN: RTA. That is NOT the plane of torment.

But getting back on topic, I'd say 4-6 per pregnant squirrel, mayhaps a full 12 month cycle per squirrel pup brood to be mature. Hope this helped.

-Jay

Edit: Edited for content after guaging to sobriety. I wuv u guuuys ;D
Last edited by Icabod on Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Well I HAVE had experience with paypal, and they're assholes. My advice to anyone is never transfer large amounts of money via them, and avoid using them at all when possible. There's a lot of legal smallprint and generally shitty business practices that Paypal have set up that allow some substantial screwing.
It might have changed since eBay bought them, but that's the way it was a few years ago.
Icabod
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Icabod »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Well I HAVE had experience with paypal, and they're assholes. My advice to anyone is never transfer large amounts of money via them, and avoid using them at all when possible. There's a lot of legal smallprint and generally shitty business practices that Paypal have set up that allow some substantial screwing.
It might have changed since eBay bought them, but that's the way it was a few years ago.

Seriously dude, I didn't mean to pirate your thread, its just such a obscure problem I cant think of a solution except my original idea: nuke the HDs for covert-ware :/

Personally, I used plastic cards whenever possible instead of pay-pal. Oh, And I wipe my drives on an almost every other month basis. Never had problems with people trying to specifically impersonate a company with trojans or keyloggers (as in you were scanned, and they produced the hack 'live' somehow).

-Jay
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Mr. Teatime wrote:
Well, I am poor. But this game was second hand and a GBA one, so it worked out to be cheap. I'm moving to London in a month though, so the cost of living will go up D:
where abouts?

-jay
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Not sure yet Mega, I haven't sold my house in Sheffield yet and once that's done I'm moving in with my parents for a bit (hopefully not that long) until somewhere in London can be bought - it's kind of a hassle I think to be buying a house/flat and selling one at the same time when you intend to use the money you get for selling to buy and... yeah. Though I'll be around covent garden/bloomsbury a lot of the time which is where my course is.

My parents live relatively near London so I can commute until whenever. In case you're wondering, I'm signed up to a law post graduate course after deciding I didn't want to be playing WoW or doing shitty jobs working for shitty bosses for the rest of my life, so hopefully I'll be a solicitor in a few years time.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Mr. Teatime wrote:Not sure yet Mega, I haven't sold my house in Sheffield yet and once that's done I'm moving in with my parents for a bit (hopefully not that long) until somewhere in London can be bought - it's kind of a hassle I think to be buying a house/flat and selling one at the same time when you intend to use the money you get for selling to buy and... yeah. Though I'll be around covent garden/bloomsbury a lot of the time which is where my course is.

My parents live relatively near London so I can commute until whenever. In case you're wondering, I'm signed up to a law post graduate course after deciding I didn't want to be playing WoW or doing shitty jobs working for shitty bosses for the rest of my life, so hopefully I'll be a solicitor in a few years time.
Lol, what a conicidence. I just got an apartment in Bloomsbury, because I am starting undergraduate law in UCL this autumn.
Our Host!