Spam-bots!

Make dumb suggestions so we can ignore them. I'm lovin' it.
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Spam-bots!

Post by Alexander »

Right, since my return I have noticed a significant increase in spam-bots joining the forum. This pisses me off because they are fucking up my efforts to keep track of the demographic.

I was thinking that, for the good of the forum, someone (read: the guys that know how this works e.g. DU, King Of Creation, etc.) could take some counter-measures against this activity.

My suggestion is this: many (90%, probably more) of the forums today have a image that displayes a random string of distorted letters and/or numbers that you have to type in a box as a part of the process of registering an account. I am quite certain that it will stop the mojarity of the bots from registering.

I just dont want to see this place turn into a complete cesspit (in the negative sense of the word). That spot is reserved for NMA.

Edit: Here are some numbers: the last 58 users that have joined this forum (in three days) are spam-bots. Look here.
Last edited by Alexander on Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Wouldn't it be easier to just include the spambots in your demographics?
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Spazmo wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to just include the spambots in your demographics?
That would be pointless, and well, this is not just about the demographics you know. We are trying to be a respectable forum, right? Right? ...

Think of it as an investment.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

they arent spam bots, there my alt. accounts alright
:chew:
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

The plan is to do all that when we reinstall the forums. Fix eveything up. All in due time.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Our Host!