Adding new speech/text files...

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Adding new speech/text files...

Post by ogreb »

First off no more lame questions ( I just needed sleep)
I was almost too embarrased to come back...

If I understand this right...when I want to make new speech/text files..(No actual voice work..not yet ) just text ;windowed and floating..

First I write them out in word pad....save it following the exact path format as laid out in the editor read me ....import it into the editor ( saving it in a seperate text file) and then use it in speech nodes as normal..

Right?

My main idea is to use them in terminals( windowed)..sort of an ad hoc diary.

I found a terminal entity that allows speech..
I wanted to open certain campaign missions to see how they had used info terminals...but not all the missions are there.

So..???!!! Am I way off

Is there a size limit?

Man...this is taking forever...I'm still a week away from finishing this map...with all the triggers/zones and now speech
But..it'll be way cool..It will take me months to do the whole campaign.
I read the read me and used search first..so I understand how to use speech nodes etc..just not sure about using wordpad to make new ones.

Oh! how can you set it up ( the terminal) to show multiple texts ( like turning the pages...so 1 click on it ( the terminals) yields one page..clicking it again shows another) or should I just use scrolling?
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Re: Adding new speech/text files...

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

ogreb wrote:First off no more lame questions ( I just needed sleep)
I was almost too embarrased to come back...

If I understand this right...when I want to make new speech/text files..

First I write them out in word pad....save it following the exact path as laid out in the editor read me ....import it into the editor ( saving it in a seperate text file) and then use it in speech nodes as normal..

Right?
The speech files can go pratically anywhere, but if you're making a campaign you'd probably be best off making a new folder under locale and sticking them all in the one place.
ogreb wrote:My main idea is to use them in terminals( windowed)..sort of an ad hoc diary.

I found a terminal entity that allows speech..
I wanted to open certain campaign missions to see how they had used info terminals...but not all the missions are there.

So..???!!! Am I way off

Is there a size limit?
No size limit, and you'll need to extract the rest of the speech files if you want to look at them. You could make holodisks rather than giving the terminal dialogue. Just set up the speech node and your text and then add a title node.

I.e. your speech nodes

holo_1 = {Dear Diary, today....}

holo_2 = {Dear Diary, hello again...}

Then the title nodes

title_holo_1 = {17/05/2169}

title_holo_2 = {21/06/2169}

Then link a holodisk entity to each speech node, holo_1 etc.

ogreb wrote:Man...this is taking forever...I'm still a week away from finishing this map...with all the triggers/zones and now speech
But..it'll be way cool..It will take me months to do the whole campaign.
I read the read me and used search first..so I understand how to use speech nodes etc..just not sure about using wordpad to make new ones.
Just make sure you use the right type of brackets and remember to close them. Somewhere at the radiated society, in the FOT modding forum I posted a speech file template, you can use that if you can find it. Or you can always just copy an existing one and change the text.
ogreb wrote:Oh! how can you set it up ( the terminal) to show multiple texts ( like turning the pages...so 1 click on it ( the terminals) yields one page..clicking it again shows another) or should I just use scrolling?
If the terminal is set up as an actor, you can just use speech occured triggers to change the click speech to a new node and have a different node for each page, or just use scrolling. :)
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
ogreb
Respected
Respected

Post by ogreb »

You are the man/woman!! (... you never know anymore, gotta be PC ..)

Anyway thanks and thanks for not laughing ....

I still can't believe that one ( last post)....
I'm an idiot...)
Our Host!