Cracking CD

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Ah-Teen
SDF!
SDF!

Cracking CD

Post by Ah-Teen »

I recently received Fallout: tactics from a friend and it turns out the second cd is cracking. And the more I use it the more the crack grows. I'd like to make a back up disk should the number 2 cd should fail.

I'm already showing problems. When I tried installing the full game, and I got to BOS beta and the general had no brefing for me though it had the normal two missions. I fixed this by using the medium install and running off disk 2 and have sence. To day I noticed that the crack is almost 2 cm longer and attempted to copy the files directly to my mechine. I suspect that there is ether an Incription or the disk is now faulty.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

If you do plan on ripping the cd to your computer I suggest using this: http://trial.alcohol-soft.com/en/download_120.php. You can probably get away with ripping only one, then reinstalling, because if I recall the installer asks for where the next cd is when you're swapping, allowing you to use the virtual drive set up by the emulating software. But hey, isn't FOT in the bargin bin? Why not blow a few bucks and get another copy. (I don't know about outside the US, and I only say this because I assume you're not in the US as you used metric units, hah).
Ah-Teen
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ah-Teen »

Actualy I've never seen it anyware. Not one of the games! So I had to find fallout through other means.

I'll try alcohol, thanks!
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

It's more likely that if copying them across didn't work then your disk has had it. You should of been able to do a full install, copy across manually and corrupted/missing files and then run the game from disk 1 or disk 3.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Ah-Teen
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Ah-Teen »

I did try Alcohol, It had a great deal of errors. I eventualy just stoped trying.

What files govern speach, vids and sound.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

loc-mis_A.bos - contains the speech files for the first bunker and first 3 missions. - file size should be 11,940KB
loc-mis_B.bos - contains the speech files for the second bunker and the next 4 missions plus the bonus mission. - file size should be 24,922KB
loc-mis_C.bos - contains the speech files for the third bunker and 4 more missions. - file size should be 21,799KB
loc-mis_ABCDE.bos - contains the speech files for the special encounters. - file size should be 1,283KB (there's another copy on CD3, don't know if it's any different or not).
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Our Host!