Fallout 3 commandos

Since Bethesda decided to make Fallout 3, we figured we might as well have a forum about it.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Blargh wrote:Your argument is awfully compelling . . . Are you simply unwilling, or perhaps unable to accept the possibility that swimming could improve the game ?

I'd ask you to elaborate, but if it's as well thought out, coherent and logical as some of your other contributions, there really isn't any point. :drunk:
you just cant grasp it, can you.
well, swimming just wont do. You cant just isnert swimming into a game and say it'll increase replayability. It wont, swimming wont reallt add any new ways to solve quests, just new ways of getting to places.
Adding swimming adds about as much replayability as a ladder. Swimming is just a way to traverse obstacles, NOT to solve quests..
I doubt you'll find youself in the situation where you need to convince someone aboput summit by either:
a) show him the secret plans/photos/whatevah
b) convionce him with your speech skill
c) threated to kill his family
d) use your swimskill to swim in his tub until he yields.

I just cant see that happening.
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

Mismatch.... lets say if there's a quest invole in going into a vault, but the vault's power is offline and many doors can not be opened. There may be two choice to put it back on line, 1) to activate sceondary power, 2) to fix the problem with the original power soruce, but the line is under water, because the water tank is broken and had flowed the place. Doing the harder task (fixing the connection on the primary power) will give double the experience point of activating the secondary power. Does it add replay value to the game?
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

2) to fix the problem with the original power soruce, but the line is under water, because the water tank is broken and had flowed the place
water... add electricity and player.
that is a bad mix.
bad mix as in electricution.
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

Mismatch wrote:
2) to fix the problem with the original power soruce, but the line is under water, because the water tank is broken and had flowed the place
water... add electricity and player.
that is a bad mix.
lol, what do you do when the water have live electricity? will disable it first. I was think the the connection is broken like a wire or something. So the power generator is not in the water.

To not get killed, disable the power first, got underwater connect the wire. Than turn the power back on.
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

ah... the army :drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Mismatch wrote:you just cant grasp it, can you.
Stop projecting.
Mismatch wrote:I just cant see that happening.
No, you can't.

You are predictable in your density, Mismatch. I'd wager you just can't see many things happening. A PITY. As I suspected prior, 'tisn't worth reiterating my argument and the points contained, as if you can't follow them as they are, you really have no hope of doing so bar a 'Thinking for absolute, A-grade morons'-esque explanation. Sorry, but I won't stoop to that level.
Mismatch wrote:water... add electricity and player.
that is a bad mix.
bad mix as in electricution.
NO, REALLY ?

Your blithe dismissal of Someguy353's truly selfless attempt to enlighten you (an exercise in frustration really) reveals a great deal about your mentality. If you stop up your ears, shut your eyes and hum loudly, you know those ideas and possibilities, facts and certainties will just go away and cease hurting you by challenging your ignorance.

IF IT ISN'T THERE IT CAN'T HURT AND CUT AND STING YOU, CAN IT, MISMATCH ?

Woe betide those silly enough to blaspheme your impeccable world view.

You are a myopic fuckwit.

That is all. :drunk:
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Swimming would be largely useless.

Lying prone and driving lots of vehicles around the mission maps has been done in FoT, and would only have a place in a FoT 2 if such a title were to be made.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Mismatch
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Mismatch »

blaargh wrote:Your blithe dismissal of Someguy353's truly selfless attempt to enlighten you (an exercise in frustration really) reveals a great deal about your mentality. If you stop up your ears, shut your eyes and hum loudly, you know those ideas and possibilities, facts and certainties will just go away and cease hurting you by challenging your ignorance.
sod off, will yah.
you cant bloody well still say that swimming will improve replayability. Either swimming will be a skill or summit anyone can use.
It'd be bloody silly if many missions had a swim way of soling em.
So, if swimming is a skill, noone'd wanna invest in it coz it pays off too little.
If its not a skill, swimming would be essentially the same thing as walking.

and thus, as retlaw said, it's useless.
so bloody stop spamming up the forums trying to start flamewars.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

And how do you create "acceptable" swimming in a computer game, anyway? Besides the fact that the water is most likely radiated, full of germs and bacteria or just plain dirty, all your equipment would get wet. And with a heavy backpack you'd most likely drown. See S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and how they've tried to overcome this issue. It's an FPS and they're having tons of problems trying to implement "realistic" swimming. So it's really hard enough even without thinking about the viewpoint.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Swimming adds a tad more than a ladder would. You can dive underwater and do all kinds of wacky Jacques Cousteau-style shit. It might've been very useful in Fallout 2 (for crashed nuclear sub exploring purposes). Swimming would undoubtedly be a pain in the ass to implement well, though.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

Kashluk... Swiming in dirty water is just the same as going to the Glow XD...... and we all have done that!

Retlaw83.... yes driving in maps have been done in FOT, but if you look at the Caned F3 screen shots you'll see that it's very much like FOT, you controll a party up to six people. I hope it's more like the first two game, where you only really control 1 person.

Swimming can be implemented if more thoughts going into it. Mind you Comandos 2 have it implemented near pefect, I don't see how Fallout 3 can't.

The only way to make a RPG better is a better intaraction with it's NPC and it's environment.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Someguy353 wrote:Retlaw83.... yes driving in maps have been done in FOT, but if you look at the Caned F3 screen shots you'll see that it's very much like FOT, you controll a party up to six people. I hope it's more like the first two game, where you only really control 1 person.
The screenshots released from VB were from the tech demo and they recycled some of FOT's interface, which doesn't mean anything since it would of been replaced in the end. What's the point of using something that was cancelled before completion as an example?
Someguy353 wrote:Swimming can be implemented if more thoughts going into it. Mind you Comandos 2 have it implemented near pefect, I don't see how Fallout 3 can't.
Going back to Fallout water was in short supply, not just clean water. When did you ever see a location in Fallout or FO2 that had deep enough water to swim in other than the coast? Swimming would be no more than another graphic animation mode such as walking or running. It would be a rather minor element more easily handled by having an exit grid at the water's edge.
Someguy353 wrote:The only way to make a RPG better is a better intaraction with it's NPC and it's environment.
The way to make a better RPG is to have more interaction with other characters, interaction with the environment is more suited for a tactical combat rather than roleplaying game. Though saying that I'd like to see sneaking in and out of windows (as Arcanum) implemented, great for if you are playing a thief character.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Someguy353 wrote:Kashluk... Swiming in dirty water is just the same as going to the Glow XD...... and we all have done that!

Retlaw83.... yes driving in maps have been done in FOT, but if you look at the Caned F3 screen shots you'll see that it's very much like FOT, you controll a party up to six people. I hope it's more like the first two game, where you only really control 1 person.
You could try to tell your party members to do this and that, but they could do it or not, depending if you had enough Charisma, if they were "stuborn" or not, the way they liked you or not, if they thought the order was stupid or not, and so on. So no control like in Tactics, instead they would have a personality like in FO2, but you could try to send them commands and if thet complied with them then you would have a greater control.

And the interface in the Van Duren demo is a placeholder, nothing more than that.
The only way to make a RPG better is a better intaraction with it's NPC and it's environment.
Maybe it`s not the only way but yeah, those are important features that could be improved even more.
Cuthbert Allgood
Regular
Regular

Post by Cuthbert Allgood »

character dev is important to keep the game fun, like perks for example, but without actual role playing it'd be gay... kinda like playing d and d with hackand/ power gamers and a bad dm.
"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Our Host!