Fallout 2, rare combat bug, please help me!

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
J-Roc
SDF!
SDF!

Fallout 2, rare combat bug, please help me!

Post by J-Roc »

When I play Fallout 2 and go into combat, 1/20 times (ficticious statistic) the game crashes to a black screen with an error and I have to ctrl+alt+delete to get rid of it.

It always happens in the same place of a battle in which it happens, for example, right after taking my third turn. This ruined my main save when I was at the Enclave and very close to beating the game. It also just ruined my save with my new energy weapons guy too.

I'm using the old patch because I don't want to invalidate my games and for some reason, the new patch doesn't install anyways. I've also used the Falche2 editor to change a bad trait that I chose by accident at the beginning, so I've been wondering if perhaps that's been the main problem.

Thanks in advance.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

I remember I had a similar bug, in the final battle. I had saved the game during combat and after a few turns the game would crash, eventually I had to go back to an earlier save I think.

Maybe someone else can give more help, but I do think the game does occasionally corrupts saved games, and that might be the problem here.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Without the patch, my game would always crash while boxing in New Reno. Always when I was up against the Masticator, the game would freeze. No black screen, just the clock-thingy (mouse icon) rotating and all kinds of ambient noise in the background. I could move my mouse but nothing worked, always had to ctrl+alt+del it away.

Installing the patch helped though... And it seems you've got something wrong with your copy of the game, if it doesn't even let you install it :|
J-Roc
SDF!
SDF!

Post by J-Roc »

Thanks for your responses. I have the paper case with fallout 1 and 2 in it and it does that wierd flippy thing.

I don't know why I can't install the patch, it's a real bitch though.
Someguy353
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Someguy353 »

J-Roc wrote:Thanks for your responses. I have the paper case with fallout 1 and 2 in it and it does that wierd flippy thing.

I don't know why I can't install the patch, it's a real bitch though.
Sounds like you have the released version... because I also got a bundle game like that, but not Fallout games.
Our Host!