FO2 Ammo Types and DR Question

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
bwoodring
SDF!
SDF!

FO2 Ammo Types and DR Question

Post by bwoodring »

I am trying to figure out a good solution to the AP vs. HP ammo problem in FO2, but I've run into a hole in my knowledge about the way the game calculates damage.

Is there a ceiling and floor to effective DR (modified by ammo type). For example: using AP ammo, can DR actually become negative, thus increasing the amount of damage done? similarly, is there a maximum amount of DR that a target can have, or can it go all the way to 100% if HP ammo is used?

Also, while I'm at it, is there anything else I should know about changing ammo in FO2?

Change of Topic:
My goal is to change the ammo types so that HP ammo is more useful against targets wearing no armor or leather armor (0-25DR), and AP is more useful against targets wearing combat and power armor (40+DR), while the two ammo types will be roughly equivalent against targets with 30-35 DR. Really, I think AP ammo should be better starting at about 25 DR to be more realistic, but I'm afraid that would make HP ammo useless, and I'm trying to fix the problem of useless ammo.
bwoodring
SDF!
SDF!

Post by bwoodring »

Hmmm... this may not happen. Changing the values of ammo properties seems to be pretty flakey. When I tried to change the properties for 5mm AP ammo, I got some really bizarre results. Anybody know anything about this?
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

Sounds like you used a third party utility like FIC to change the prototypes, I recommend you use the official mapper to do this instead.
bwoodring
SDF!
SDF!

Post by bwoodring »

Yes, I think you're right. I did some investigating and I now think this is a bug in FIME. It seems that the DR Mod field is stored as an unsigned 16-bit integer (0-65535), and FIME is trying to treat it like a signed integer. Does anyone know if the FIME source code was ever released? This would probably be a pretty easy bug to fix, and I do like FIME's interface.

Oh well... off to the official mapper. Thank you for the tip.
bwoodring
SDF!
SDF!

Post by bwoodring »

I was able to use the mapper to edit the ammo prototypes and fix them. I decided on using the following:

For AP:
2/3 DMG, -30DR, -10AC

For HP:
3/2 DMG, +30DR

This makes AP Ammo do more damage at 30DR, and HP Ammo do more damage with less than 30DR. I feel like it's the best compromise available with the ammo system in FO2. If anyone wants to inspect my math and data, I'll be glad to provide it.
Cubik
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Cubik »

It does not good working

there is solution (sorry my English)

Dmg_:=Trunc(Dmg_w*(Dmg_mod_1/Dmg_mod_2)-DT_armor)-Trunc(Trunc(Dmg_w*(Dmg_mod_1/Dmg_mod_2)-DT_armor)*(DR_armor+DR_mod_ammo))

here is:
Dmg_w - weapon base damage (average from min i max damage)
Dmg_mod_1 oraz Dmg_mod_2 - ammo Damage modificators
DR_mod_ammo - ammo Damage Resistance (% as 0,01)

DT_armor - armor Damage Treshold
DR_armor - armor Damage Resistance (% as 0,01)

Resulsts are truncated by function [trunc] to integer.

Example

Desert Eagle:

min_dmg = 10 |

| avg_dmg = (10+16)/2= 13

max_dmg = 16 |

JHP ammo: 2/1 20%

Dmg_mod_1 = 2
Dmg_mod_2 = 1

DR_mod_ammo = 20% = 0,20

armor Metal Armor: 4/30%

DT_armor = 4
DR_armor = 30% = 0,30

Result:

Dmg_:=
=Trunc(13*2/1-4)-Trunc(Trunc(13*2/1-4)*(0,30+0,20))=Trunc(26-4)-Trunc(Tunc(26-4)*0,5)=22-Trunc(22*0,5)=22-11=11

For ammo type FMJ: 1/1 -20%

result is:

Dmg_:=
=Trunc(13*1/1-4)-Trunc(Trunc(13*1/1-4)*(0,30+(-0,20)))=Trunc(13-4)-Trunc(Tunc(13-4)*0,1)=9-Trunc(9*0,1)=9-0=9

So we have such results for Metal Armor:

ammo JHP - 11 dmg
ammo AP - 9 dmg

Strange? isn't it?

Check the solution and you can improve the ammo and armor statistic's to desired param's to have good work.
Our Host!