Baroque ?

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.

Walrus or Otter ?

Y - Walrus !
25%
B - Otter !
No votes
What is the capital of France ?
17%
Wine !
58%

Total votes: 12

Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

Yeah I listen to it, Bach's Toccata and Fugue is one of my all time favourite pieces.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Toccata by Emerson, Lake & Palmer is always fun. Wotevuh!
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Yes, but because Toccata is a general musical term that is used to describe a piece on which a keyboard player displayes it's virtousity it isn't really similar.
Emerson's Tocatta is based on something by Ginestra I think.

Emerson's Fugue has a classical feel to it, although again it's just a musical term.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Subhuman wrote:Blargh, I pull shit out of my ass all the time.
*laughs*

'To be able laugh at oneself is, in many ways, to achieve enlightenment. - BoN 71:23

Your honesty is admirable.
Subhuman wrote:I don't even know what Baroque music is /EL SNIPPY REGREFTULLY INFORMS THAT HIS COUSIN, EL SNIPPO, IS ON HOLIDAY AT THE TIME OF SHOUTING, THANK YOU.
Frankly, I'm surprised by that.
Subhuman wrote:(I do know what Baroque art is, though, and that's some ugly shit).
For certain psychological reasons, I cannot elaborate on my views regarding Baroque, be it music, art or any other influenced medium.
The Guardian wrote:Never heard of him, which is why I'm inclined to pick wine...
A fine choice, sir ! :drunk:
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

atoga wrote:Classical is just so, like, stagnant and not fun.
You're so un-knowledgeable about this subject, I'm embarrassed for you.

Anyway, I like Baroque, but aside from Bach I view it more as "background music", or easy-listening music. If you want something more stimulating, I might suggest some of the Russian Romanticists/20th century composers; Stravinsky, Shostakovic, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov etc.

And of course I've got to pimp out my favorites: Schubert, Beethoven, and Dvorak. And lately I've been buying a lot of Mendellsohn as well, with great success. I've come to believe that Mendellsohn is one of the more underrated composers ever. Most of his chamber music are masterpieces, and I've never heard any of them on the radio ever, and I've listened to at least 3 classical stations with regularity.

Of course the classical stations mostly play Baroque music (and early Classical-era)... it's easy to listen to. I get the sense that the classical stations realize that their main audience tends to be non-purists, hence the pandering. And hence why I rarely tune into my local classical stations anymore.

PS: While we're on the subject of Baroque, my favorite Bach pieces are The Brandenburg Concertos (all six of them), and The Cello Suites (all six of them).
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Oh fuck off already.
Subhuman
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Subhuman »

What he said.
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

You're both awfully bitter. Your attempts at retroactive censorship really do lead one to disappointment. Given the subject, this thread wouldn't really be complete without some input from Franz, which may just be relevant, or bollocks, or strangely relevant bollocks. It's like Russian Roulette without the bullets, guns or bandanas, but with extra grief, stress and spontaneous twitching. Or is it ?

Wouldn't that be funny ? That scene from Deer Hunter, but whatshisname has a really, really nasty twitch. Gods that would be hilarious !

Bah. :drunk:
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

But then again, the vc would have to go around gigiling every time whatsisname passes by them, and that would make it not so funny but rather stupid.

:drunk:
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

Post by Blargh »

Gambling makes even the most ridiculous event quite sombre. It also tends to cause people to become very uninhibited, often demonstrated by their desire to wear silly hats. Consequently, I do not believe the VC would be giggling inanely. The audience, however ? Definitely.

We disagree, perhaps ? Huzzah. I enjoy it when that happens. :drunk:
Our Host!