Fallout - what it runs on and what it doesn't

If you can't get the Fallout games to run the way you want, or are having trouble with bugs, here's the place to ask for help.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Fallout - what it runs on and what it doesn't

Post by Spazmo »

There exist a number of handy resources for people to get Fallout/2 running on their machine, but the whole thing is still fairly hit or miss. For instance, a lot of people report having the autoplay and installer not work at all and having to manually copy install files while for others, it works without a hitch. Many find that the endgame and death slides zip past in a flash, barely leaving time to read the caption, while it works fine for others. So I want to try to collect some data on what computers people have, whether or not Fallout runs on them and how. This way, we might be able to see what particular bits of hardware or software the game does and does not like and maybe come up with some fixes.

My first system was a 900 MHz Athlon Thunderbird with 256 megs of SDRAM. It had both a TNT2 and later a Radeon 8500 card and the game worked the same on both cards. Through it's life, the computer also had Win98 and later WinXP installed.

In Win98 with the TNT2, the game ran normally. However, once WinXP was installed, the endgame slide problem appeared wherein they'd fly past too fast. The installer and autorun worked normally. Changing the video card didn't affect how Fallout ran at all, nor did installing XP SP1.

On my newer system, an LGA775 2.8 GHz P4. 512 MB DDR400 RAM, Radeon X600, WinXP SP2, everything works perfectly. Installer, slides, game itself are all fine.

So submit a brief flyover of your specs and how Fallout ran so we can see what does and doesn't work.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Intel Celeron 1.3GHz, 256MB RAM, 32MB GeForce 2 MX, WinXP Home. Runs perfectly.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

P4 1.8Ghz, 512mb DDR RAM, 128mb GeForce FX 5200, WinXP home. Works perfectly once the Fallout 1 .exe is set to run in Win95 compatability mode. Fallout 2 has always worked without a hitch.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
ExtremeDrinker
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by ExtremeDrinker »

P4 1.5Ghz; 1GB DDR RAM, 256MB Radeon 9600XT w/Omega Drivers, WinXP Pro.

FO2 runs perfectly.

FO1 does not run well at all. It will play, however there is a screen flaw: Everything blacks out except the cursor, and when you click the screen, the PC will show up and a trail of where he walked is now visible...Then the screen is fine. For about 45 seconds, then it goes black again.

Solution for FO1: I use DOSBox, and though it's a bit slow, and the sound gets fucked up, it's playable.

Both games run perfect on my 2 laptops. Both are PIII 500Mhz; 128MB RAM; ATI Mobility. One with XandrOS Linux, one with WinXP.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Intel Centrino 1.4 GHz, 768 MB DDR RAM, GeForce 4 Go (laptop card), WinXP Pro, everything works perfectly.

Post by Guest »

ExtremeRyno wrote:
FO1 does not run well at all. It will play, however there is a screen flaw: Everything blacks out except the cursor, and when you click the screen, the PC will show up and a trail of where he walked is now visible...Then the screen is fine. For about 45 seconds, then it goes black again.
It did that to me too.

Hit f1 twice and all the black is cleared.

Fallout 2 runs like shit on my computer. It fucks up in every way possible and all the time. I'm too lazy to list my specs. Such a shame, being that it's my favorite Fallout.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

That black screen thingy happened to me while playing FO2 on an occasion. It's weird, but it has only happened like five times ever, so it doesn't matter really?

It would be fancy to know what causes it, though.
Our Host!