Help: No automatic ending of combat and combat rolls

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
MagiX
SDF!
SDF!

Help: No automatic ending of combat and combat rolls

Post by MagiX »

First off let me say hello.

I’m looking for a way to disable the automatic ending of combat mode? I'm playing a character that uses hand to hand combat and every time I knock the enemies unconscious the combat automatically ends, which in turn leads to them waking up again and getting a bunch of free hits on my character. I've been looking through the script files in master- and patch.dat but so far I haven’t found the script files that handle combat termination, if there are any. Could anyone give me some pointers?

I'm also curious if there's any way to implement a combat roll procedure that prints out the combat rolls, modifications and end values?

Thanks in advance.
dude_obj
SDF!
SDF!

Post by dude_obj »

Looking at the script source code, the actual combat is not in the scripts. That means its in the engine, and the code that ends combat is not tweakable.

As for printing out combat rolls, the closest you can get is enabling debugging with a patch. You can get <a href="http://home.cogeco.ca/~desolation/faq/t ... ch.jpg">on screen</a> messages, or have them written to a log file. See noid's <a href="http://members.fortunecity.com/noid84/p ... ription</a> of the patch. Unfortunately the debugging messages don't show combat rolls. I turned on debugging and fought the 2 ants in the first room of the temple of trials, log looks like this:

computing attack...
sequencing attack...
Giant Ant is using Rat packet with a 0ahance to taunt
Loading sound file MAANTTAQ.ACM...succeeded.
Loading sound file HMWARRAN.ACM...tyring HMXXXXAN.ACM succeeded (with alias).
running attack...

>>>NOTE: Giant Ant had extra AP's to use!<<<Loading sound file icombat2.ACM...succeeded.
Loading sound file ib3p1xx1.ACM...succeeded.
Loading sound file ib3lu1x1.ACM...succeeded.
computing attack...
sequencing attack...
Loading sound file HMWARRAQ.ACM...tyring HMXXXXAQ.ACM succeeded (with alias).
Loading sound file MAANTTAN.ACM...succeeded.
Giant Ant is using Rat packet with a 0Ã?hance to taunt
running attack...
computing attack...
sequencing attack...
Loading sound file HMWARRAQ.ACM...tyring HMXXXXAQ.ACM succeeded (with alias).
Loading sound file HMWARRZQ.ACM...tyring HMXXXXZQ.ACM succeeded (with alias).
Loading sound file MAANTTBA.ACM...succeeded.
running attack...

That's all :(

It would be nice if it did show combat rolls. NWN shows combat rolls in a status window during normal game play, I thought that was cool. And not only combat but also other checks like reflexes (traps) , will (fear), etc

Surely the developers had a way to log combat rolls. It probably exists but is turned off in the final shipping binary executable (or was removed).
<a href="http://modguide.nma-fallout.com/">Fallout Modification FAQ</a>
Bugs? Dammit Gus, I'm a dessert chef not a programmer! (Found in Fallout2.exe)
MagiX
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MagiX »

Okay, I figured it might be hardcoded. :/ It's too bad, the automatic ending of combat is quite annoying and combat rolls would rock..

Thanks for your help. :)
Our Host!