The Ressurected Stevie D Thread

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:MV's www tab is probably pointing at the old domain, go via the link from the front page of DAC. Though I doubt Retlaw has had a chance to put it up yet as he was waiting for the server move before updating the site.
That seems to be the case. I tried it since my last post and no dice.

Fuck it, I'll just download whatever it takes to unzip a rar and bin the thing once I'm done. Thanks anyway, Req.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Winrar is easy enough to find, but before you bin it download all the other rar files you might be interested in so you can get them all out of the way at the same time.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
fallout ranger
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by fallout ranger »

MV map hub is still up, i dunno what you guys are doing...
does this work
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

fallout ranger wrote:MV map hub is still up, i dunno what you guys are doing...
We're doing fine, what about you? Do you actually read the posts before replying? MV still has the link to his site pointing at the vats.net that's all.
fallout ranger

Post by fallout ranger »

so does the wasteland...

and you dont have to turn every thread i post in into a flame
does this work
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Loving your work on the custom tile compendium, Req. It took a while for me to realise that it was you behind it. A lot of those beauties will be appearing in a Stevie D map coming soon!

EDIT: Full credits given to you in the readme, natch.

That said, I'm pretty certain that's not all the custom tiles that are floating around on the net. Senor Deluxe produced a load a while back. A piano and a complete atomic-themed diner tileset spring to mind. Wait, and a 'General Store' wall-sign he produced, based on a request I made.

With MV's map hub seemingly down for the now, does anyone know where I can grab any more custom tiles not in Req's pack, as featured here?
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

The hub does seem to be down. I wonder what is happening now.
this is a placeholder for the subdomain mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx.
I do have SenorDelux's 50's walls and floors (painted vault tiles and new floor tiles) and gothic heads (from F1 & 2) and some vault 15 tiles made by Ed the Monkey (tactics tiles painted to look like F1 & 2 and wall decorations) that I downloaded recently from the hub.
Forgive my ignorance master.
DIE...die weak fool (cue Bozar death)
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I'm thinking of creating a yahoo board for this eventually, but it'll probably take more time than Stevie-d will be mapping for. You could browse DAC's pages though, I'm pretty sure we used to have a lot tiles here as well. Might have them still. Hopefully JJ86 will ressurect his page. Lot's stuff there once upon a time.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Well I've offered to send Stevie-D all the custom tiles that other people have done, that I've got. Looking at some work someone recently sent me, they had virtually the same custom tiles under each path they had set up, none of which matched the way I'd installed the tiles. So now I've got 4 versions of the same tiles on my HD. I'm wondering whether to release these other tiles in another single pack, so that we've got some uniformity to file structure.

What do you guy's think? The tiles I have are from Flamescreen, MV, SenorDeluxe, Ed the Monkey and WarBringer. Anyone got any objections, the original creators would get full credit of course.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

http://www.duckandcover.cx/mvmaphub/new ... prites.htm

There's a link directly to the Map Hub's sprite page. It does not yet have the updated versions of Requiem's tile pack; I'll download that after work tonight and upload to my geocities account. I'll post the resulting link.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Flamescreen wrote:I'm thinking of creating a yahoo board for this eventually, but it'll probably take more time than Stevie-d will be mapping for.
Funny.
requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:Well I've offered to send Stevie-D all the custom tiles that other people have done, that I've got.
Nice one, Req. I'll get onto replying now. I appreciate it.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

Retlaw83 wrote:http://www.duckandcover.cx/mvmaphub/new ... prites.htm

There's a link directly to the Map Hub's sprite page. It does not yet have the updated versions of Requiem's tile pack; I'll download that after work tonight and upload to my geocities account. I'll post the resulting link.
Cool. Given that Requiem might have more tiles than are on MV's page, I'll take him up on his offer. It's still good to know that resource is there, though.
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote: What do you guy's think? The tiles I have are from Flamescreen, MV, SenorDeluxe, Ed the Monkey and WarBringer. Anyone got any objections, the original creators would get full credit of course.
That sounds good. The more uniform and less hassle the better, although we would still have the problem of new tiles being made (hopefully).

http://www.duckandcover.cx/mvmaphub/new ... wtiles.htm does have some nice tiles, which could be compiled.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Yeah all those I already have, it's some of the one's that were on JJ's pages that I'm not sure about.
quietfanatic wrote:The more uniform and less hassle the better, although we would still have the problem of new tiles being made (hopefully).
Hah there's roughly 14MB of custom tiles available from various places and you still want more! :giggle:

Actually that reminds me of something that occured to me while looking for that image tag thread (has anyone tried it?) I didn't have much luck searching for image, too many results. So I just went to page 17 and started looking manually. Reading some of the old posts, all the enquiries about are there any new tiles/sprites etc made me think 'we've come a long way' in the last two years since this forum was set up. Not just in the amount of resources but also how much we now know about modding this game.
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

requiem_for_a_starfury wrote:Yeah all those I already have, it's some of the one's that were on JJ's pages that I'm not sure about.
I'm pretty sure all of Senor Deluxe's material was in those files you sent, Req. Incidentally - god damn, that guy knew how to make a good tile.

I agree that the method of sorting the tiles by maker into different folders seems a very neat and elegant solution.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Stevie D wrote:For old times' sakes, I've dusted off the ol' FoT editor.
I've been dicking around w/the editors the past couple of days m'self. Beats knocking over convenience stores 'til Uncle Sam calls, but I have to say it's less profitable...
Stevie D wrote:- Is it possible to rig a critter so that only a head-shot can kill it?
Nope. The most you could do would be to assign DT/DR values to the critter that would force the player to go for called shots to raise his/her chance of scoring an armor bypassing critical, but that's not quite the same thing. Besides, a high luck character and/or one w/high skill or the proper perks will score those type critical hits quite often even w/o making Targeted Shots.
Stevie D wrote:- Is it possible to give a critter an attack that causes poison which doesn't dissipate? (ie: continues to sap the victim's health until they die)
Nope.

Poison will dissipate over time, no ifs, ands or buts. Req's example of MV's map likely resulted in his character's death due to the fact that MV uses very high HP scores and weapons do insane amounts of damage. A poisoned weapon will "inject" a number of poison points equal to the number of damage points done by the weapon. Hence, Req's character probably has shitloads of poison flowing through his/her veins.
Stevie D wrote:- Is it possible to link a sound, or sounds, to a critter, and for that critter to utter it at random intervals until it dies?
Nope. FoT doesn't support voices for its actors.

I will now leave you to pout at the drawing board. :lol:

Okay, here's a question for the rest of you:

I made Jet and was able to simulate the drug itself fairly well. The exception is the permanent addiction, but since I set it to 8,760 hours (1 year) I figure it is effectively permanent. (Yes, you get the proper picture under "Status" for Jet Addiction, I simply linked it to Afterburner Addiction and rewrote the text and added the picture.)

The problem came w/trying to simulate the Jet Antidote. The problem that I'm having is that I can't get it to remove the Addiction tab, and I am also effectively handing the player a Elixir of Life-style item that will raise his/her ST and PE by 1 each, and raise Max APs by 2. Has anyone set up a correct Jet Antidote item yet?

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
quietfanatic
Respected
Respected

Post by quietfanatic »

I have been experimenting with drugs as well today (in the editor), and I was wondering what is already known. Are the effects of the addiction apparent only after the period of primary effect has worn off? It seems so.

I am hoping to design a drug which kills you if you don't have your daily dose. Does the time of addiction get pushed forward if you take your next does, or are they cumulative in time as well as in stat increases? The maximum value for stats seems to be twelve anyway. What does the withdrawal value mean?

What have you tried so far to make your jet antidote?
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

quietfanatic wrote:...I was wondering what is already known. Are the effects of the addiction apparent only after the period of primary effect has worn off? It seems so.
Yes, the "Addicted" tab along w/stat penalties will only show up after the primary, secondary and (if you put one in) tertiary effects have all worn off. That's also when your addiction shows up on the Status tab.
quietfanatic wrote:I am hoping to design a drug which kills you if you don't have your daily dose.
Not sure how you're going to get that one to work.
quietfanatic wrote:Does the time of addiction get pushed forward if you take your next does, or are they cumulative in time as well as in stat increases?
I don't know, but it will be easy to find out. All you have to do is to set up a drug w/a short period of addiction (eg 1 minute) and set the Addiction rate at 100%, take a dose and time it w/a watch (the game clock doesn't actually run in real time), then take two doses and time that. I'm busy tomorrow, but if nothing else I'll check into it over the weekend.
quietfanatic wrote:What does the withdrawal value mean?
No idea. I was hoping that other people had already unravelled these mysteries. I suspect that this is unimplemented or its execution is problematic like so much else in the game.
quietfanatic wrote:What have you tried so far to make your jet antidote?
I set up a consumable that is supposed to lower the consumer's Jet Addiction stat. I've tried all sorts of negative numbers, but it's no dice. The funny thing is that taking it while not being addicted to Jet actually addicted the character to it!

The other problem is that you need some sort of way of not turning the Jet Antidote into Elixir of Life that raises stats even for those w/o Jet Addiction. I tried entering a 1 under "Jet Addicition" in the Requirements section. No dice. What it was was a potion to raise your ST and PE by 1 each and also your Max AP by 2...permanently...

Has anyone had any luck w/this issue?

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Stevie D
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Stevie D »

OnTheBounce wrote:I will now leave you to pout at the drawing board. :lol:
Just for that, I have grassed you up to the Feds for knocking off all those convenience stores. :D

Nah, it's better to know for sure, even if I can't have my kewl toys. The strong will adapt! Thanks for the know-how, OTB.
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

OnTheBounce wrote:Poison will dissipate over time, no ifs, ands or buts. Req's example of MV's map likely resulted in his character's death due to the fact that MV uses very high HP scores and weapons do insane amounts of damage. A poisoned weapon will "inject" a number of poison points equal to the number of damage points done by the weapon. Hence, Req's character probably has shitloads of poison flowing through his/her veins.
Actually it was MV's Jailbreak map and IIRC he used the default roaches and their attacks, but I had no other means of healing left to keep my alive until it passed through my character's system or until I found an antidote.

A single hit from a radscorpion on an averag unarmed tribal (ST4, EN5, PR25%) will take 6-8 minutes to pass through it's system and do roughly 16hps damage for the intial strike and an additional 16 odd points in poison damage. Obviously the more poison in your body the longer it takes to dissipate. The poison drug gives you 150 poison points and takes over half an hour RT to dissipate. So if you want the poison effects to last longer tailor the damage to what level you expect the character to be at that point in the game.
OnTheBounce wrote:The problem came w/trying to simulate the Jet Antidote. The problem that I'm having is that I can't get it to remove the Addiction tab, and I am also effectively handing the player a Elixir of Life-style item that will raise his/her ST and PE by 1 each, and raise Max APs by 2. Has anyone set up a correct Jet Antidote item yet?

Cheers,

OTB
No I don't think it can be done, probably be best to forget the antidote and change your drug to either

Proto Jet an early form of Jet that wasn't nearly half as addictive or effective.

or

Fake Jet an attempt by a rival gang to cash in on the jet market this inferior product might look like jet but is only mildly addictive and not as powerful as the real thing.
OnTheBounce wrote:I don't know, but it will be easy to find out. All you have to do is to set up a drug w/a short period of addiction (eg 1 minute) and set the Addiction rate at 100%, take a dose and time it w/a watch (the game clock doesn't actually run in real time), then take two doses and time that. I'm busy tomorrow, but if nothing else I'll check into it over the weekend.
The game clock runs x3 normal time for the purposes of daylight, night etc. So a hour game time is 20 mins real time but for the purposes of timers and IIRC drug effects the game runs at real time speed except on the world map.
Our Host!