Um... uh-oh...

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Um... uh-oh...

Post by Max-Violence »

So I'm workin' on Rebellion3, and I accidentally hit Ctrl+B (turns all the tiles outside of the camera bounds green/makes exit grid) instead of Ctrl+V (paste). "Well, no problem" I thought, "I'll just Undo it."

Well, guess what? It isn't "Undo-able." "Well, no problem," I thought, "I haven't saved it yet, so I'll just open the map back up, pre-Ctrl+B."

It crashed to the desktop as it opened the map.

So I tried to open the map again, and it still crashed.

"Shit..." I thought. And said. Loudly.

Any ideas on how to get my map back? If not... um... uh-oh...

*remembers he sent a version of the map to OTB earlier today*

THANK GOODNESS!

So, moral of the story is: Never, ever, EVER hit Ctrl+B unless you want what it does, and make 10 different backups of your map!
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Hey - didn't Bloodbathmaster2 have this problem? I'd PM him, but I don't think he's very active...
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Thanks for reminding me - I haven't backed up in about a week and much has been added!
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Yeah, thanks for reminding me, too. My burner is merrily backing my campaign files up.

BTW, check your email, I sent you a copy of of your MIS file. Also, I've got a copy of it still attached to that email, so even if I screw up and save at the wrong time while I'm making that minimap image for you today I'll still have it.

I had a bizarre incident last night. I went to place a tile and the editor hung up for a second. A small (1x1 unit) tile was shown to have an absolutely huge bounding box, and a rather large chuck of road in a section kept flashing red. I could not manage to select the freak tile and I had no backup, so I was actually quite worried since I had no backup of the map. What solved the problem was "Update Tiles". When I did that the freak tile disappeared and everything was back to normal. (Just thought I'd pass that little tid-bit along.)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

Save in iterations. Constantly. I had a couple of maps go FUBAR on me during dev, thankfully I could just hit up the programmers to fix em for me. :D But seriously, save as many iterations of your map as will fit on your disk.
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Our Host!