Need beta testers.

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
ThS204
SDF!
SDF!

Need beta testers.

Post by ThS204 »

Hey,
I'm making an assault map and so far it's pretty cool, but I need some tips on both gameplay and design. I would also like to know what you think of it because it's my first map for Fallout Tactics.

Go to http://www27.brinkster.com/ths204 to download it. It's only 140kb so try it and email me, gherrmann@cox.net .
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

One other thing you may want to do is run "New Occlusion Data". Some things are not popping. I am assuming there are a few things you are going to add to the map?
endocore
Regular
Regular

Post by endocore »

You've got a good start there. I can't really play the map since I don't have the foggiest idea how to engage in multiplayer games and don't really want to learn either, but I looked it over in the level editor. I'm guessing you intend the action of the map to primarily be a struggle between one force in the tall stone building and the other force underground.

Two things you'll need to fix right away are:

a) Before sharing a map with others, the last thing you should always do before saving the version to be shared is to "Generate New Occlusion Data." You have a lot of tiles in there that don't "pop" when they should, and this is how you fix that. (Oops, I see Jimmyjay 86 already suggested that while I was offline writing this)

b) Expand your camera boundaries. Assuming you want quite a bit of the action to possibly take place inside the four-story stone building, for example, with your current camera boundaries combatants would never be able to reach the stairs to get to the upper levels.

Generally the only thing lacking from the map is the addition of more detail. You've got a lot of wide open spaces that you might consider filling it with little rubble piles, small plants, barrels, etc. to increase a player's engagement with the map.

One other thing you might think about is to enlarge the access holes around some of the ladders. I may be wrong, but I don't think a Super-Mutant or Robot character could fit through some of the small holes you have in order to traverse the ladders.

You might also consider adding more cover in the open ground. A force which takes up residence in the tall stone building could easily dominate any attackers seeking to assualt it from any direction since they'd have to move quite far over open terrain to reach the building.

Mainly, though, like I said, it's a good start, and if you spend some time adding small details to spruce it up it will be a fine map.

Endocore
ThS204
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ThS204 »

Thanks alot.
Yeah, I did the "New Occlusion Data" thing once so that I could see into the building and underground, but I totally forgot this time.
Thanks again.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

ThS204 wrote:Thanks alot.
Yeah, I did the "New Occlusion Data" thing once so that I could see into the building and underground...
Also - and this isn't listed in the ReadMe, but rather we learned this from Red who was nice enough to post it - you can Right Click on the Elevation Bar to make a level not display. This is very handy for when you're working in an area where the roof keeps popping back on whenever you go to select/place something, or on a large map where generating Occlussion Data can take quite some time.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
ThS204
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ThS204 »

That really helps, I hated using "only show tiles on current level" all the time. Thanks.
Red

Post by Red »

Thanks for the original credits guy :) Though I wonder where you read that?
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

In the RPGPlanet forums, IIRC. I think it was Odin who told us (in fact, I think it was in the same post where he told us of your tile editor project).
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

You're welcome, ThS204.

Red: Max is right, Odin posted the news about some of your Level Editor discoveries like the "right-click-on-the-level-bar" trick as well as how to change the background color of the map using the color changing thing-a-ma-jiggie behind the frame rate readout. Those are all pretty nifty tricks that have come in very handy. I'd like to thank for them: Thanks, Red!

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Red

Post by Red »

What's a bit weird is that I posted my tileset random thingy with the same post explaining the colour and level things... so I wonder if anyone wlaready read that too?
Our Host!