Site status update

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Site status update

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[Community -> Update]</strong>

There have been a few questions about the current status of <b>Duck and Cover</b>, so here's an update.
<br>
<br>The graphical redesign of the site is still happening. We have a design that's being worked on, and it's looking good.
<br>
<br>The site crashes and slowness are down to our host, whose name currently escapes me (Gatenet or something). Attempts to contact these hosts have failed, with emails bouncing back. As a result, I'm thinking of moving the site to a much faster, more reliable host. The trouble is, it would cost about $50 per month. I can pay for that, and I suspect I probably would end up paying it, but any offers of donations, should the time come when we need to accept them arrive, are gratefully received.
<br>
<br>Hosted sites such as <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/wasteland/">The Wasteland</a> and <a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx/mvmaphub/">Max Violence's Map Hub</a> are not dead, and will be updated and running at some point in the future. A lot of the issues with these sites are server/FTP access ones, rather than the willingness of people to run them. Again, these problems should be solved with a new host.
<br>
<br>We're also looking at adding some new features to the site. A weekly editorial of some sort was one idea put forward, and you're welcome to suggest any ideas you may have. Personally I like the idea of having a weekly 'feature' of some sort, either in an article form or something that the community can contribute to.
<br>
<br>As you can see, a lot of stuff hinges on our hosts, and whether we can get some of the issues resolved with our current host (not hopeful, in my opinion), or whether we have to move. Things should be clearer in a week or two with regards to this issue.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Woah, what kind of shitty host makes people pay and doesn't answer their emails.

Nice to hear everything's running fine though.
epidemic
SDF!
SDF!

Post by epidemic »

We're also looking at adding some new features to the site. A weekly editorial of some sort was one idea put forward, and you're welcome to suggest any ideas you may have. Personally I like the idea of having a weekly 'feature' of some sort, either in an article form or something that the community can contribute to.
Don't over do-it, now. Working on a graphical redesign and getting new hosting seems like plenty of work (to me) for about, oh, the next month or so.

Then again, I'm really lazy.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

They've been working on that for a few months though.
mutant
l337 hax0r
l337 hax0r

Post by mutant »

How much traffic does DAC get? If its not outrageous, I would host your site for free. My facitlity is in a Qwest datacenter in Chicago.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

DarkUnderlord wrote:Anything around the 3 Gigabytes of storage, MySQL / PHP support, e-mail accounts and sub domains (wastelands.duckandcover.cx etc...) and around 50 Gigabytes of Bandwidth per month is what you're looking for.
That's from http://www.duckandcover.cx/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9020
Kreegle
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Kreegle »

Bloody Malachlite and Soulfish! Not answering emails... neglecting their suffering clients... figures! :P

Try ICQ or leaving a post on the evegate.net forums to hit them up if you want. Mala was mates with Killy originally though, so if he knows he got kicked off the site, he may not be too nice... dunno.

Good luck.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Yeah, seems like you're better off going with new hosting since I think Mala and Soulfish were hosting DAC as a favour to their 'ol buddies 'ol pals.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Our Host!