A faster server?

Make dumb suggestions so we can ignore them. I'm lovin' it.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

A faster server?

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Anyone know how much a decent server host would cost for DAC? It can be frustratingly slow at times, and I know very little about hosting/server issues.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

Let those things to Saint maybe?
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

I think he'd rather shoot himself in the face.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

I dunno if it's because of the slow server, but I often post, but my posts don't appear. Then I try like 8 times, laughting, because they'll probably appear all at once, but they don't ever.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

I'll definately back the claim of slow server. How much for ag odo one? I adsljfalskdjflasjf can't type, obviously. But I dunno. Hopefully someone does because that'd be rather cool to have a quick one.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
King of Creation
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by King of Creation »

S4ur0n27 wrote:I dunno if it's because of the slow server, but I often post, but my posts don't appear. Then I try like 8 times, laughting, because they'll probably appear all at once, but they don't ever.
Its server problems.
<a href="http://www.duckandcover.cx">Duck and Cover: THE Site for all of your Fallout needs since 1998</a>
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Well I'd be willing to donate for a faster server, I'd also hope members of the community would as well. It's just a question of finding one and knowing how to do it, which I guess is a question for DarkUnderlord or anyone else who knows about servers.
Briosafreak
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Briosafreak »

No, it`s an issue that involves your network, DAC doesn`t own the server, again check with Saint, he`ll fill you in.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

If you're talking about getting a new host, the cost can be high. It depends on bandwidth and space requirements. DaC's bandwidth has been down since we're no longer at .net but is steadily growing. If it reaches the levels of the old days, it would be expensive (though that really depends on your definition of expensive). Prices vary from $10 to $200 a month US depending on bandwidth and the host (some are more questionable than others / you get what you pay for etc...).

Google for "hosting" and start looking at their offers. Anything around the 3 Gigabytes of storage, MySQL / PHP support, e-mail accounts and sub domains (wastelands.duckandcover.cx etc...) and around 50 Gigabytes of Bandwidth per month is what you're looking for.

To give you an idea of the variance:
http://www.fortunecity.com/web-hosting/ ... plan.shtml
http://www.hosting.com/shared/unix/

The first one would work just fine for DaC and is cheap, the second one is a shitload more expensive and doesn't offer anywhere near what we'd use. That's the kind of variation that exists in the hosting business. You'd have to look at the offers in more detail to make sure it offers what you want and then look at the company who's making the offer (some hosts offer the world and fail to deliver or are too slow etc).

It's also a good idea to "be prepared". Your "new" host might only last for three months before they pull your account for some obscure reason that's buried deep within their terms of service or the initial offer you agreed to (EG: Like actually using 100 GB of bandwidth because that's what you paid for, only to have them pull your site offline for "excessive use of resources"). Be prepared to move and move often if necessary. Things like paying by the year might save money but not if they pull your site offline and don't give you a refund, so paying by the month might be prefarable and so on...

Moving a site like DaC is also a bitch (but easily enough done, it just takes time).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Our Host!