Stalker Movie?

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Stalker Movie?

Post by SuperH »

Here

Poking around on Amazon, found this. It's called Stalker, and from the review it's apparently based on "Roadside Picnic", voila so is the Stalker game. Sounds to me like either the game is leaving a lot out of the story, or the director took a helluvalot of creative liberty with the book. He did with Solaris, so I don't doubt it here.

Anyone seen it? I'm interested in getting it, it's pretty expensive though.

Discuss!
Neon Dingo
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Neon Dingo »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is based off the movie/book (partly). The style is mostly based off the movie. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. movie doesn't have that much action in it. It's more of a "philosophical journey" involving finding something that grants you a wish or something. I haven't seen it, but that's what I've read.
This sentence has thirty-two letters.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

wrong forum.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Huah? This isn't about the game though? Whatev.

Doing a bit more research, the game seems to be a lot further from the book than the movie. In the book, there are "zones" that are left by aliens, and Stalkers go into them to pull out alien artifacts that get sold on the black market. Apparently in the movie, there's some alien artifact / just some bizzaro place that "makes dreams come true" or something, and Stalkers get people into that place. They might also go in for artifacts and stuff?

But the game is about chernobyl, which is kinda odd since as far as I can tell from looking around, neither the book or the movie had anything to do with chernobyl or radiation? Seems like it's mixing a nuclear scare story with the original, pretty bizzare.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

It's loosely based on it. Just be happy it's not like that Hidalgo movie where "BASED ON A TRUE STORY!" advertisement means there there is a shared name.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

I read some of the short story and it was pretty good for being translated from Russian. I stopped though because I don't like to read off of my computer screen. From what I read I'd say it's closer to the game than the movie is. It had some radiated/alien freaky things going on.

Around then I saw the movie, which I was disappointed with. It's extremely long, and I thought it was boring. But as Neon Dingo says, it's supposed to be some kind of "philosophical journey." Whatever, it didn't really grab my attention.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

is this discussion serious? use the 'search' button for pity's sake. all this shit was discussed at least twice at these boards:
http://www.duckandcover.net/forums/view ... 23&start=0
http://www.duckandcover.net/forums/view ... 9144fd25ac

BTW: I've read the book, I've seen the film. It's not that "the director took a helluvalot of creative liberty with the book" but rather he only selected a part of the book, and only its most important issues. Moreover, the authors of the book helped in writing the screenplay. The first part of the book that was skipped is actually not terribly original. And the movie does not grab people's attention perhaps because it was not ment to entertain action game fans.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

SuperH wrote:Apparently in the movie, there's some alien artifact / just some bizzaro place that "makes dreams come true" or something, and Stalkers get people into that place. They might also go in for artifacts and stuff?
Radiation makes your dreams come true? Evidently.

Where the hell can I find this book? D:
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Just for you, atoga.

It's a real bitch to read in this format. I couldn't finish it.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Thank you very much good sir. <3

Interesting read so far. Some of the references may be a little scary, but it's certainly piqued my interest in STALKER.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Is that the whole book?
Lunchmeat
Strider
Strider

Post by Lunchmeat »

Yeah, I think so. It's only a short story.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

I might print that sucker out and read it.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Same, paper is free at work :D
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Yeah, I got that movie on my computer, very long and streneuos watching it... definitly not for fans of action movies.
There are no 'knowns'. There are thing we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. So when we do the best we can and we pull all this information together, and we then say well that's basically what we see as the situation, that is really only the known knowns and the known unknowns. And each year, we discover a few more of those unknown unknowns.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

OMG STOP REVIVING DEAD THREADS
Our Host!