PnP style equations?

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

PnP style equations?

Post by Strap »

What are/where are the equations that fallout uses to determine different rolls etc... (game file, or are they on the internet somewhere?)
I am interested in making a PnP game for myself to play using fallout's mechanics.

(Equations/rolls as in, if you have your SPECIAL stats and other skills etc... it figures out what your chance to hit/do other things is and then rolls based on other things.)

Thanks
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

Personally I'd guess they're in the executable file, but that's just cause I haven't come across them anyplace else.
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of Radaway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

I know a good deal about that.

The game just rolls 1d10 for normal rolls vs. stat, or 1d100 for normal rolls vs. skill, possibly plus a modifier. In other situations, it might just give you somthing if your skill / stat exceeds a certain number, no roll necessary. Mostly it's pretty simple.

Combat to hit numbers are a bit more complicated, generally it's a roll against: skill + weapon bonus (hunting rifles, snipers and the like add to this) + (PE)x4% - 4% per meter away the target is - target's AC - cover modifier (I think?) - lighting modifier, plus a bunch of other smaller things that the game throws in.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Cool, do you have a list of them? or could you point me to where I could find them myself?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Nah, sorry. Those are just off the top of my head. I have a knack for remembering stuff like that. If you have any other more specific questions, though, post them and I might be able to figure them out.
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

What are the variables involved? I'll list the ones I know, and maybe you could elaborate.

SPECIAL (St, Pe, En, Ch, In, Ag, Lk)
AC (armor class)
DT's (Damage Threshold: #'s that remove that much damage)
DR's (Damage Resistance: %'s that remove that much damage, before or after DT's?)
distance...
all the skills (how do the %'s work? over 100% etc.)
AP action points.
HP.

I can't think of anymore at the moment though.
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

SPECIAL is straightforward (each different number affects other numbers, perks, events, and the like, plus sometimes 1d10 is rolled against them to see if you can do something. ie. 1d10 vs. Intelligence to notice something in conversation.)

AC is a percent subtracted from anyone's chances to hit you.

DR is applied after DT is subtracted.

Distance: -4% to hit per 1 meter (hex) away.

Skills: 1d100 is rolled against them. In some cases the skill may be reduced (you're doing something hard) so this is where high skills come in handy.

APs and HPs are spent and reduced normally; there's no specific formula to them. Straightforward.

In the case of die rolls, lower is always better. You want to roll equal to or under the number you're rolling against.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

So, lets say you have 5 Luck, and your rolling 1d10 against it. Would that mean that you are infact rolling 1d5 because your luck is 5? (as for other stats too)
So does that mean that if you have 10 of any particular stat, you will always roll 1 (good) as long as there aren't things reducing it?

Is damage always calculated based on weapon damage? ie, a pistol that does 10-20 will always do 10-20 damage randomly, unless the target has so much DR/DT and you don't do a critical?
As for criticals, they are determined by your critical hit % chance, which is determined by your luck and any perks/traits that raise it. What exactly is a critical? double damage or something?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

No, you always roll 1d10 vs. a stat, no matter what. If you roll equal to or under the stat's level, then whatever you're doing works out; otherwise, you fail.
Strap wrote: Is damage always calculated based on weapon damage? ie, a pistol that does 10-20 will always do 10-20 damage randomly, unless the target has so much DR/DT and you don't do a critical?
Correctamundo.
Strap wrote:As for criticals, they are determined by your critical hit % chance, which is determined by your luck and any perks/traits that raise it. What exactly is a critical? double damage or something?
Yeah, the percent chance of getting a critical on any hit is equal to your critical % chance, though it may (?) be increased if you hit certain body parts. The effects of a critical hit are random: double damage, triple damage, knockover, armor piercing, and whatnot, and it also depends on the part of the target's body that gets hit.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Oh, that's what I meant to write, that if you have 5 in a stat and roll 1d10, you would only need to get 1,2,3,4, or 5 for it to be successful.
The specific critical's don't really matter to me (I do understand them thougn, such as hitting rats in the head or hth a human in the back) do you know the percentage chance of something being an ID critical? (instant death).

As for the actual equation for hit %, could you elaborate more?
[skill] + [weapon bonus] + ([PE] x .04) - ([distance] x .o4) - [AC] - [cover modifier] - [lighting modifier]
What exactly is weapon bonus, cover modifier, and lighting modifier? and what kind of # goes in there?
oh, and as for the actual percentage that is created by this, how does that equate to you hitting or not? Is it like, 75% is a roll of 1d100 and 1-75 are hits?

thanks
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Strap wrote:oh, and as for the actual percentage that is created by this, how does that equate to you hitting or not? Is it like, 75% is a roll of 1d100 and 1-75 are hits?
Yep.

I'm not really sure about the other modifiers, I just know they exist. Weapon modifiers are given for a few specific weapons: for instance, a hunting rifle would add +28% to hit (I think), a shotgun would add +20%, and so on. Cover and lighting modifiers I'm not so sure about. I also don't know about what's on the critical hit tables.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Hmm, thanks. I guess that's all I really need to know about it, don't think I'll get into the details like lighting and cover anyway. I could always mess around with numbers to see what would make sense.

Is there a difference between the fact that FO1's skills go to 200% and FO2's skills go to 300%?
Are FO2's skills just +100% to the top of FO's or are the equations different?
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

No, the equations are pretty much the same. The devs just wanted to make F2 more extreme or something like that (I guess.)

You're welcome...
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

What are the percentage changes for specific limb targeting?
like, if you have such a percent to hit normally (torso) what would you subtract/divide by to get the percentage for say, legs, head, eyes, etc...
I am guessing that the chance to hit something else is subtracted from the %created from the formula, and not from the 95% cap. (because in FO you can hit the eyes for 95% if you're good enough).

(I finally remembered that they are not equations, but "formulas," I couldn't think of it before)
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Yeah, you're right about the 95% rule. The penalties for targeting body parts are as follows:

Torso: none
Legs: -20%
Arms / Groin: -30%
Head: -40%
Eyes: -60%
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

And the bonuses for those specific limbs are?
My guess is legs->knock down chance/cripple, arms->cripple (and I think that there should have been something about dropping their gun or something), groin->knockdown/out, head->knockout and extra damage?, eyes->cripple(blind, -nPE) and extra damage.

humans HP usually ranges from 15-100some?, do they always use normal armor, as in, they wear the armor that you can wear. (unless it's someone like horrigan or a critter).
Also, what is the difference between jhp/hp/fmj/ap etc... I do know that jhp/hp has higher damage (by a percent?) and that it raises the target's DR% (normal). and that AP does less damage (stupid...) but lowers the target's DR (or was it AC?). I don't see how bullets could lower a target's AC, all it does is make it easier to hit... the only way I could see bullets effecting AC is if they sucked so bad that they were inacurate, and raised the target's AC...
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Strap wrote: My guess is legs->knock down chance/cripple, arms->cripple (and I think that there should have been something about dropping their gun or something), groin->knockdown/out, head->knockout and extra damage?, eyes->cripple(blind, -nPE) and extra damage.
Something like that. I'd get some guy who knows how to find out such things to dig it up, because I'm not really sure.
Strap wrote:o they always use normal armor, as in, they wear the armor that you can wear. (unless it's someone like horrigan or a critter).
Yes.
Strap wrote: but lowers the target's DR (or was it AC?)
Yeah; it lowers DR -and- AC. (AP doing less damage makes sense, because the bullet has less of a kinetic wallop - it's smaller and thinner.)
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Too bad there isn't bleeding, because AP would cause more bleeding than JHP. (rupture organs, etc..)
I figure that I can find out the specifics of DR/DT/AC of armors with FIC, and also the bullet specifics like how much DR/AC is added/removed.
If I unpack FO/2 are the perks/traits in specific files that I could look at? (I know it was that way with "Lion heart," also a BI game. but I doubt it used anything like the fo engine, just SPECIAL)
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

Not sure about that. You can find them in the F2 manual, though.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

Ah yes. I forgot that the manual was that comprehensive and indepth.

Now... to impliment all this new info I've aquired.
Our Host!