Endgame Palette

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Endgame Palette

Post by SpellTrap »

Anyone know how to convert a bmp file to a frm file using the palette that the endgame frm files use? If you have no idea what I'm talking about, just take a look in the art/interfce folder, and take a look at some of the frm files that begin with EG. They seem to use some sort of special palette different from the rest of the frm files.

To sum it up, I want to make a new endgame image, but judging from the EG frm files, it won't look right unless I apply the proper palette. Little help? :confused2:
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of Radaway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

Finally got off of my butt to upload an example. Here's what the V13 ending looks like when I converted it:

http://www.unc.edu/~cagney/images/misc_ ... _V1301.JPG
"It's 106 miles to Arroyo, we got a full fusion cell, half a pack of Radaway, it's midnight, and I'm wearing a 50-year old Vault 13 jumpsuit. Let's hit it."
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

...omg you got radiated dood.

Like, seriously.
Error! I suck balls.
Duck and Cover doesn't... always.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

SDMVersion3 wrote:...omg you got radiated dood.

Like, seriously.
Take a look for yourself; ALL of the pics in the endgame slideshow look like that when they're extracted.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

He-hey! I get that kind of error sometimes when trying to normally view .gif images on my computer! I really have no idea what causes it, but it sure as hell isn't restricted to converting those end game pics.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

It's palette incompatibility.

I downloaded that pic, lemme see if I can clean it up.
Error! I suck balls.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

SDMVersion3 wrote:It's palette incompatibility.

I downloaded that pic, lemme see if I can clean it up.
You don't have to clean it up. My problem isn't with how these pictures looked after being extracted from the game; my concern is that images that I insert into the endgame pics won't work unless they look like that.

Does anyone know if I have to get images to look like that before inserting them into the endgame sequence?
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Ummm... If I can clean that up and make it look good, you can conversely dirty up your images following the reverse process before inseting them into the game, wherein, they should look proper.
Error! I suck balls.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

SDMVersion3 wrote:Ummm... If I can clean that up and make it look good, you can conversely dirty up your images following the reverse process before inseting them into the game, wherein, they should look proper.
Oh....my bad. Carry on. :clap:
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Theres no easy way to do it. I'm thinking that it's one of two things:

1) A palette problem

IE, neither of us has the proper pallette.

2) A fubared extraction

IE, you're missing the pallette and the colors were force-blended to a pallette that do have.

More likely, it's the first, but if it's the second, it'll probably be an easy fix.

I could mess around in PS but I wasn't getting anywhere, it looks like it was damaged irrevocably somewhere.
Error! I suck balls.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

So...what do you think would happen if I inserted a new image to replace the old one without doing anything with the palette? I'm still a ways from getting to the final boss battle, so I can't test it right now.
SDMVersion3
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by SDMVersion3 »

Chances are it'll look much like our deathclaw friend.

You've inserted in other images and they work fine though?
Error! I suck balls.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

SDMVersion3 wrote:Chances are it'll look much like our deathclaw friend.

You've inserted in other images and they work fine though?
Well, no, but I've extracted other images that looked fine. It's just the endgame pics that are weird.
EWMS2
SDF!
SDF!

Post by EWMS2 »

Yoho,

as fare as i remember there is an extrator that ships with all palettes used in Fallout1&2. I cant' remeber the name of the extractor :(. Most likely i got that extractor from http://www.freelancer.ag.ru/fallout/f2d ... _eng.shtml but i am not absolute sure.

Back to the point. When you extract the image with the correct palette you can use the palette from that file for your new image. Then the reinserted image should display in the right colors.

Have fun,
EWMS
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

It turns out all of the pal files were in master.dat, each having a name corresponding to one of the endgame images. If I inserted a new endgame image, and didn't include a pal file of the same name, would that image display correctly, if it were just a regular Fallout 2 screenshot? My theory is that it would just use Fallout 2's global palette, but I could be wrong.
EWMS2
SDF!
SDF!

Post by EWMS2 »

I have no idea if that would work correct or not. But why are you trying to solve that problem in advance? You will find out when you try it.
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

EWMS2 wrote:I have no idea if that would work correct or not. But why are you trying to solve that problem in advance? You will find out when you try it.
It never hurts to think ahead.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

use frm2bmp

found in the files section of DAC..

use the following command line from a comand prompt window from the folder where the art is ( assuming you put the program there too. )

frm2bmp.exe -p EG_V1301.pal EG_V1301.frm

it converts using the pallete file..
it also creates a .inf file for the bmp, which is used when converting back the other way..
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

Way ahead of ya, ColJack. :eyebrow:
SpellTrap
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by SpellTrap »

ColJack wrote:use frm2bmp

found in the files section of DAC..

use the following command line from a comand prompt window from the folder where the art is ( assuming you put the program there too. )

frm2bmp.exe -p EG_V1301.pal EG_V1301.frm

it converts using the pallete file..
it also creates a .inf file for the bmp, which is used when converting back the other way..
Uh-oh...
http://www.unc.edu/~cagney/images/misc_ ... _V1302.JPG

Looks like I'll need to figure out how to make custom PAL files as well... :anger:

And PALSWAP is out of question, seeing as whenever I use it "properly" I get a Runtime Error.
Our Host!