3d fighting games vs 2d fighting games

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

3d vs. 2d fighting games

3d
57%
2d
43%

Total votes: 14

Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

<a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... >Ownage</a>

Playstation 2's for just 60 dollars more. It's not like their so expensive you'll be eating nothing but dirt now adays.
Harriers for the cup.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Metroid Prime, LoZ, Mario Kart Double Dash, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero: GX. More than two, just off the top of my head.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

I love Bushido Blade, Tekken Tag, and Super Smash Bros Melee. That said, I fondly recall Street Fighter 2.
One day...
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

The Gaijin wrote:Metroid Prime, LoZ, Mario Kart Double Dash, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero: GX. More than two, just off the top of my head.
metroid i can see but those other games blow. double dash isnt half as great as everyone claims.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

There's also The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker, Super Smash Bros Melee, and Animal Crossing on the gamecube.
One day...
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

well thats zelda and metroid, both of which have been remade about 6 times. thats still only 2 games worth playing.
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Animal Crossing is the best game ever made. Die.
One day...
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Yah, right.

Anyway, I'm all about 2d, Capcom Vs SNK is badassed, as is any Street Fighter.

Last Blade 1 and 2 are both astounding, I've got them for my Neo Geo emulator. Best damned fighters ever. Button mashing == insta-death. Even on easy it can be hard. Man I kinda want to play it now... dam dam good.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Capcom vs SNK has low res sprites and choppy gameplay--I'd rather play Street Fighter III or Garou: Mark of the Wolves. F-Zero: GX and Viewtiful Joe are both very fun and if you don't like them then you're just being obstinate. Last Blade was a great series.
HEY WHERE THE WHITE WOMEN AT???
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

It's still fun. I can own anyone with Ryu.

I need to play more fighters, I haven't exposed myself to many. Especially modern ones. Hmm hmm, Garou, and SF3? Anything else? How about Guilty Gear or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, I always wanted to play them.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

GGX2 is great. Lots of fun for parties and the characters are all quite unique and cool.
The Gaijin
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by The Gaijin »

Franz_Schubert wrote:GGX2 is great. Lots of fun for parties and the characters are all quite unique and cool.
Except for Bridget--Bridget is a cross dresser and thus not worth mentioning. I never got into JoJo's Bizarre Adventure myself, but it's a solid game and not just a little weird. (one of the characters is a chihuahua) Street Fighter Alpha 3's another good one...if we're gonna jump ship to the realm of 3d try Tekken Tag Tournament (a little old, sure, but it's a tag game done right and still looks pretty good) or Tekken 4, maybe Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution if you don't mind THE CHEAPEST LAST BOSS EVER.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Last bosses in fighting games usually suck. MvC2's boss and DoA's boss both blew majorly.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Yeah, I'm talking 2d only, I've got Tekken Tag, Tekken 4 and VF4. I'm all about Eddy Gordo, he is cheap and all, but chaining his capoeira moves together just looks so cool. I really, really have got to learn that shit.

Post by Guest »

Personally, I think that 2d fighting games are better since they require more skill.
Then you obviously haven't played Soul Calibur or Virtua Fighter 4, or else you'd be eating those words with salt. Give me a break. Virtua Fighter 4 is ALL skill - if you button mash, you'll get nowhere. Same with Soul Calibur, if to a lesser extent - button mashers can get only so far, and then they have to buck up and learn the game more.

And another thing: Fighting games aren't just random button mashing like people seem to think they are. It might look that way when you're watching people play them, but they take a ridiculous amount of strategy, mostly prediction - when you're opponent is going to block and for how long, mixing up attack levels to catch him off-guard, predicting when he'll throw and then countering accordingly. It's a lot harder than it looks, as any fighting game fan will tell you.
Phias
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Phias »

2d Fighting games were the bomb. Sure, all of those 3d graphics are nice but 2d games let you focus on what was really important--the gameplay.

2d 4eva.

Of course 3d backgrounds were cool too.
Endure. In enduring, grow strong.
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

Yes I would say the gameplay is more complex in 2d games. However, that's not to say it's necessarily better, since some simple fighting games are great.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Once again; theres really no better in this case, just that differances in style and approach come up which cause some people to favor one or the other. No matter what the case; viva la SNK and be happy that their finally back alive so we can get some good 2-D games. Like a new Samurai Showdown.
Harriers for the cup.
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

I never liked SS, because I played Last Blade first, I think. Last Blade is mah favourite :-! I just hate that stupid little girl who has chinese gods spit herself at you, it's the cheapest shit ever when that happens.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

True, I like The Last Blade better personally (I even own the original for Neo Geo, now if only I had a neo geo), but Samurai Showdown has been staple for SNK since the beginning of time (Like 1988?) so if SNK gets enough support, we may see a nice PS2 Last Blade 3. Heres for hoping, right?
Harriers for the cup.
Our Host!