Some reason to pause..

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Some reason to pause..

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

<strong>[Game -> Update]</strong>

Here's a <A href="http://forums.interplay.com/viewtopic.p ... rt=60">fun thread</a> over at the <a href="http://forums.interplay.com/">IPLY forum</a>, detailing why things were changed in <b>Fallout Enforcer</b>. Basically, it boils down to fans don't all agree on whether or not FEV could be airborne or not, so you get <b><i>BURNING GLOVES</i></b>, thong wearing BOS paladins, ghoul magic users, and a whole slew of other lameness in the recently gold console crapola:
<br>
<br><blockquote>One of the most obvious and matter-of-fact reasonings behind the shift towards our own private playground was, well, just that. If we had made a game set within the pre-determined PC chronology, then we would have had to appease all and every Fallout fan by stringently following rhetoric, and as I'm sure you and everyone has discovered, it's hard enough finding two Fallout fans who agree on everything. Facts are stated and rebuked, lines drawn and supposition held up as gospel with what seems an almost daily occurence as the Bibles are quoted and game text described. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>Then here's the important scariness:
<br>
<br><blockquote>Now, whether you care to believe it or not, a lot of the FO:BOS team are old-time fans of the Fallout games. During the project (very much so during the initial stages of conception and planning), we tore through all and any materials on the subject matter - and believe me when i say that the Interplay Fallout Archive is extensive in that respect (it's not as grandiose as that final scene from 'Raiders...' but it's damned close). <u>We discussed story and setting with Black Isle ambassadors, and followed their recomendations and ideas.</u></blockquote>
<br>
<br>So, <b>Fallout Enforcer</b> follows the recommendations and ideas of <A href="http://www.blackisle.com">Black Isle</a> people? And here I thought they had nothing at all to do with this game. Neat!
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Chucky wrote:During the project (very much so during the initial stages of conception and planning), we tore through all and any materials on the subject matter
Dammit, Chuck, you're not supposed to literally tear the FO universe apart!

Also, I like the IPLY reasoning: well informed fans who have outright researched this stuff can't really agree on exactly how it is... so they go and get somebody who has no idea what the crap this setting is about to do whatever he wants with it.

It just so happens to include thongs.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

Chuck: "Hey, you guy's at Black Isle know about this darn Fallout thingie I'm working on. But I need some help with the storyline. The game takes place in the future right?"

Black Isle: "Yes"

Chuck: "Thanks, I didn't know that! I'm gonna go post in the boards that you helped us out with the story!"

Does anyone actually believe anything this guy says? At this point, he's just spitting stuff out to try and get the Fallout fans off his back.

"During the project (very much so during the initial stages of conception and planning), we tore through all and any materials on the subject matter - and believe me when i say that the Interplay Fallout Archive is extensive in that respect"

Anyone with a second-grade reading level would have realized how far off he is with the subject matter. Heck, if he even played Fallout for 5 hours he would have seen all that he was doing wrong. I personally don't believe a word this guy says, because it's obviously all lies.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Hey ... here's a fun fact about Chuck Cuevas as a producer.... production for Run Like Hell was started 6 months prior to BG DA2. BGDA2 is near completion and RLH was only just finished with 3/4 of its features gutted.

Chuck Cuevas, "Block Head" "ASSHOLE" and "IDIOT"

as described by his peers at Interplay. ATTAWAY TO MAKE FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE UPCHUCK.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Mandalorian FaLLouT GoD »

doesnt chuck look like every retarded hawaiian in hawaii five-0?
Blargh wrote:While the way in which the stance is made could be done with at least a pretense of civility - being far more conducive to others actually paying attention than copious swearing - it just wouldn't be Mandy otherwise.
S4ur0n27 wrote:Dexter is getting MFG'ed for the first time D:
Koki wrote:He must be Mandallorian FaLLouT God'ded ASAP :salute:
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Re: Some reason to pause..

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Chux Super Wipe wrote:We discussed story and setting with Black Isle ambassadors, and followed their recomendations and ideas.
BiS have ambassadors? What are they, a country?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Menno
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Menno »

DarkUnderlord wrote:
Chux Super Wipe wrote:We discussed story and setting with Black Isle ambassadors, and followed their recomendations and ideas.
BiS have ambassadors? What are they, a country?
Haha, I noticed that also. What's next, Black Isle Parliment?
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

Bwahahaha! It's time to cover my ears & go "lalallala" to everything these folk say. Obviously the production team did just that when they asked about the FO universe. Is it too late to send out a tactical nuke?
"I think you could beat IPLAY up for lunch money and still come up short." -Interrupt
hvkasteren
SDF!
SDF!

Post by hvkasteren »

One of the most obvious and matter-of-fact reasonings behind the shift towards our own private playground was, well, just that. If we had made a game set within the pre-determined PC chronology
So basicly what he says is that they didn't want to make a game that was close to Fallout because it would be hard to please all the fans. Then why do they keep using Fallout in the title???
Without evil there would be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometimes!
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

hvkasteren wrote:
One of the most obvious and matter-of-fact reasonings behind the shift towards our own private playground was, well, just that. If we had made a game set within the pre-determined PC chronology
So basicly what he says is that they didn't want to make a game that was close to Fallout because it would be hard to please all the fans. Then why do they keep using Fallout in the title???
Because they think they can use it to squeeze in a few thousand more sales.
fuck
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Menno wrote:Does anyone actually believe anything this guy says? At this point, he's just spitting stuff out to try and get the Fallout fans off his back.
I wouldn't be too dismissive of what he says just because of the reason why he said it.
------------------
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

You know, if Chuck would just pass that fucking kidney stone, go "this game sure as heil ain't Fallout" and change the name, then we'd all be cool. Are you an instigator Chuck? A troublemaker?
suppose you're thinking about a plate of shrimp. suddenly somebody will say like 'plate' or 'shrimp' or 'plate of shrimp', out of the blue, no explanation.
Zetura Dracos
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Zetura Dracos »

Jesus, how much shit can a single man be full of? And how long until he bursts.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Now I realize we connected <I>Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel</I> to <I>X-Com: Enforcer</I> before, but you wanna know what else frightens me? The similarities between the answers given to questions by both Team Chuck and Team Enforcer. It's as if they both went to "How to destroy a franchise 101" and took notes.
Enforcer interview wrote: <I>Pete:</I> Have you been under much pressure, what with peoples' expectations of what an X-COM game should be all about, and the fact that you've taken the X-COM Universe down a whole different path this time out with the creation of an action game?

<I>Will Gee (developer):</I>There has definitely been a lot of pressure, as well as some very vocal detractors, since the day Enforcer was announced. We're not trying to take the X-COM universe down a new path per-se, but rather we are simply making a different style of game within that universe. In doing so, we are hoping to bring a lot of new people into the X-COM universe. People that enjoy blasting tons of different enemies with really cool weapons will like this game - if that sort of thing's not for you, fine, you probably won't like Enforcer.
Gee doesn't this sound kinda like a certain Chuck quote?
Team Chuck wrote: <i>Chuck</I> - The biggest concern was conveying the world of Fallout and introducing it to a new genre. The action adventure genre differs greatly from the original games that were set in the post-apocalyptic earth of the future. Action gamers tend to want to shoot and blow up stuff more then other gamers. Fans of the original games wanted to be able to talk their way out of a situation. Knowing this difference, we decided it was more fun to shoot first and ask questions later. So while the gameplay has changed greatly, the world has not. There are still plenty of rats to kill and ghouls to hammer into the dirt while looking for that next great gizmo.

<i>Gene Emery (Soundman for Team Chuck)</I> - That's true, and that is a risk, certainly. But this game is an action game, it's not an RPG game. And you're going to have detractors, who are the real Fallout fans, but I think there's a lot of people out there across America who perhaps don't know about Fallout and will pick this game up and be very satisfied with it, because it is ... an action game. And with action, you need adrenaline.

<I>Chuck Redux</I> - Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is a balls-out action game that offers console gamers a taste of that loveable wasteland world, where life is hard, mutation is rampant, and the closest thing to law and order is the fusion-powered pistol that you carry on your hip.
I'm even sure theres quotes made by chuck that sound even closer to what those Enforcer guys just said, but being as I can't find it, I'm happy with these quotes.

Enforcer Interview wrote: Pete: How do these levels fit in with the storyline, or is the storyline really just a backdrop to the action?

KEVIN (developer): The level locations don't really have a huge impact of the story, we just kinda thought, "what would be some fun locations?" and put them into an order that made sense, then built them. A few of the levels are there for specific reasons but it’s mostly about the action.

MARTIN (another developer): Yeah, blasting stuff is priority one, no question - the who, what, when, where, and why just keep the alien killing goodness flowing.
I believe in some interview Chuck said that FO:BOS wouldn't have a direct impact on the storyline and that action was his number one priority. If you can play "Find the quote" you win the Double Jeopardy Round.

Team Enforcer wrote: XGR: All the guys are represented from X-COM from what I saw. You get the Sectoids and the Snakemen and everything else...

Dave: Yeah, we definitely wanted to have a lot of the major aliens from UFO Defense in Enforcer, but we also put a bunch of our own in there too to add our own little flavour. again, I guess the biggest thing from a marketing standpoint [is that] they were just trying to bring in more average fans out there to the X-COM Universe hopefully...
Kinda like how we introduce new Enemies into the fallout universe with say the Hopped up pyschic ghoul suicide bombers or the Thong Wearing Betty Page wannabe women. Speaking of which, you know they defend the thong wearing woman by saying its a referance to 50's pop culture ((The asforementioned Betty Page apperantly)). They still neglect to defend how she protects herself against the elements.
Team Enforcer wrote: XGR (Interview #2): Okay. Let's talk about the time frame where this game takes place. It's during the... the... "Defense"

Martin: It's during "UFO Defense", the first game in the series, and it takes place right around now, erm, year 2000-ish. It's the middle of the First Alien War in the X-COM Timeline
Hmm.....the last game in the X-Com series took place shortly after/during the 1st game....sounds familar...Chuck must have a checklist.

If you want to have fun looking up more Enforcer Interviews to compare, check out <a href="http://www.x-com.co.uk/">http://www.x-com.co.uk/</A>
Harriers for the cup.
Syreen
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Syreen »

Yes, the difference being that there are a LOT of other deacent post-apocalyptic games. And sod-all in the style of X-Com. Except the non-tactical abortion known as Aftermath. Imagine Fallout:Tactics, with less tactics. That's UFO: Aftermath.

Oh, except you have seven guys rather than six. And you can't enter buildings.

Sigh.
Human Shield
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Human Shield »

Now I realize we connected Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel to X-Com: Enforcer before, but you wanna know what else frightens me? The similarities between the answers given to questions by both Team Chuck and Team Enforcer. It's as if they both went to "How to destroy a franchise 101" and took notes.
Wow great post, the simularities are amazing.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

I agree with Human Shield, very nice post indeed. There is another difference though, and that's the difference where the X-Com Enforcer guys never tried to shit on the fanbase of the X-Com games whereas the Fallout Enforcer boys have been shitting on the Fallout fanbase since the beginning.
------------------
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Syreen... that name reminds me of Star Control... yet another series flushed down the toilet by some other team making the game... Reaping on franchise names...

At least unlike Enforcers (Fallout or X-COM), they stuck to the genre... Although if you know a little history about the series, you'd know they [whoever made starcon 3] indeed wanted to build an action game out of it (think Wing Commander clone). Thankfully that whole idea was flushed.
4too
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Blame Game

Post by 4too »

Blame Game

In reference to the above interviews with C.C.

Why is he "blaming" the FO fans by saying there is no consensus on canon? It's an "action" game. I don't see a lot of room for details in the cut scenes that will tie the levels together. Creating graphics to conform to the BG:DA Engine, won't go there. Too chaotic and scary....

But the pasted in story text...

How hard would it have been to have the "BIS ambassadors" or a duly appointed. certifiable, know-it-all to proof read the content?

Making FO:BOS "their way" was their design decision. This quibbling about FO canon by the FO:BOS crew seems as irrelevant, now, to me as a few lines of rewritten text might have seemed to them, then.

Maybe the next interview will dwell on how fun "Gauntlet With Guns" will be for the BG:DA fans, C.C."s targeted ground zero. Maybe I'll not mince syntax like "artistic arrogance" and wait for the doppler cross talk in this media to decay into an unspun message.

4too
Franz Schubert
250 Posts til Somewhere
250 Posts til Somewhere

Post by Franz Schubert »

angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst angst

bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch

moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan moan
Our Host!