[ROE] spawn point.

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

[ROE] spawn point.

Post by [Roe] Snake »

After looking through the many SnakeDiablo threads especially the ones that were stacked one on top of the other I decided to make a spawn point for Snake's requests.

xbow

Hey Ya'll,

I've been working on this project for awhile now... It's been quite a mess cause I've been having some computer problems, harddisc crash, virus... and all those kinds of things... Now only one thing to say :

I NEED HELP ! :?

I need a good map builder who can dedicate his work to the project, since I'm stuck myself... I'm not such a great mapper myself... I just do alot of trigger work, character design, story line... all the things except MAP BUILDING... so... if any of you is interested in working on the biggest Fallout Tactics Total Convention (so far) please let me know cause I really need some help !

Let me know,

Greetz,

[Roe] Snake
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

While I am too busy with my own work to offer you my mapping, I can offer you some maps. Go to the Graveyard of Broken Dreams and check out the maps there. Some of them are ready to go "as is", others just need some finishing work.

If you decide to use them, even in modified form, all that's asked of you is to please credit the author.

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Or you can just modify the existing maps from the campaign, special encounters, or random encounters. Move buildings around to make them fit your needs, change door locations and even chop maps into smaller pieces. It is relatively easy to make clips to mix and match between maps. Check out my site for generic building clips.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

I can pritty much work on the project myself if I had a good mapper... if I have to do the whole campaign myself... it will take much longer, it's a problem but I'll try to follow up your advise...

I'm almost done with two maps... They shouldn't be a problem... now the other 14 :D

Greetz,

Snake
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Take your time, none wants to see a half-baked project.

Cheers,

Flamescreen
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Yes, its the year long projects that are best.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

Well thank you :D

But if you know anyone who can help... Let me know !

Greetz,

Snake
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

[ROE] spawn point.

Post by [Roe] Snake »

Hey There,

I am still working on a mod for Fallout Tactics, duo to some hard drive crash I lost several backups but I'm still working on it...

What I want to ask... I Need Help !

I need some people who can work with me, making maps, I've already finished the first two maps myself but I only got them from an excisting source... What I need is someone who is dedicated to make maps for this mod so we can finish it.

A Little Background info:

Introduction:
Fallout Tactics: Rules Of Engagement is more like an expansion pack then a mod. We're making new maps, adding new weapons, but meanwhile, enemy's, gameplay & scenerie stay's the same. We did try to make gameplay more realistic but we can only be sure of this when comments are coming in when the first demo is released... So I here by ask you to place your comments and send it to us by E-mail: Snakediablo@hotmail.com

Fallout Tactics: Rules Of Engagement Demo 2.0 will feature 1 map to play, after this mission is finished, you are able to continue the original game without interruption.

Missions & Maps:
We intend to bring you to places you've seen but not actually used to battle enemy's on. A combination of old & new features are used to not only bring some of the old style key features back, but also add some new stuff into the game so it will be fun to play, even after finishing the original game, also multiplayer will feature some maps from the single player modification.

Storyline:
Fallout Tactics: Rules Of Engagement takes place just a few months after the original game ended. the campaign against the robots have decreased Brotherhood Of Steel troops, many have left to start a new life, believing that after the destruction of the robot leader they don't have to worry anymore... How little do they know when suddenly an old player comes back to claim it's price.
The Brotherhood Of Steel is again, like in the original game, trying to find resources, materials & equipment to become stronger & to once again build up their forces, gain control, establish & stabilize living conditions in the wastelands.

Gameplay:
Gameplay is much more complicated. It's much harder to slip into enemy territory. Using different tactics & movements during combat now becomes a necessity In order to complete your objectives. In real life it's not like people can just walk into an open field without being seen by the enemy... You will need to use rocks, tree's, vehicles & obstacles to use cover. using team members is essential to winning a gun fight.

Characters:
Characters in the game are brought much closer to each other, backgrounds & information on characters all relate to each other. characters in the game, prefab & recruits all have a connection to each other, this because we wanted to establish a real connection between soldiers & characters through out the game.

Let me know if you want to work with me... I can really use the help !

Greetz,

Snake
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Does it have to be the BOS again? Im also not too keen on the realism bit. I just hope you mean something more than weapons doing rediculous amounts of damage (see Awaken).

It sounds like you have some good ideas. I like how you plan on having the characters have more personality (sounds like you're a Jagged Alliance fan). I also look forward to the new tactical situations. I get tired of the "sneak and hope you get off the first shot" routine that so many other realism mods go for.

I have my hands tied up with my own projects, but I can give you some advice.

First off, try and give the player a good place to stay at the BOS. Encourage the player to leave vehicles and/or equipment and characters behind.

Also, point out what characters may be needed in the next mission. Don't say stuff like "Kill all the raider scum at their hideout!" and then have a minefield with about 10 locked doors. At least mention that its a secure zone and a trapper and/or locksmith may be needed.

For the realism bit to work, don't just up the damage of weapons. That's like just giving the enemy a huge advantage over the player. Make sure there are ample opportunities to use mines (patrolling enemies), grenades, and other goodies that you give the players. Try to evenly distribute close range and far ranged fights. When possible, make sure the player can get in close to any ranged enemy so they can make use of burst and melee attacks.

Also, if melee characters have lower damage and life than the ranged characters then don't bother. Its a waste of time if you can't sneak up and kill an enemy in one hit in melee combat. Remember that sneaking is a one shot thing. You can't sneak up to and kill an enemy if you do 1-5 damage. Knives should be lethal to anyone except perhaps someone in power armor (and then a backstab should get them in one hit).

I hope this helps. I just don't want another mod that claims to have realism but doesn't let you have any fun with it.

One more thing. PLEASE make sure you give good EXP for enemy kills. I'd rather get exp for kills than get outrageous amounts for completing missions. If you give bad exp for kills then just take out random encounters since there won't be any point (again, see Awaken, also the main campaign from FOT).

Take into consideration weapon speed. Robots in melee and spear attacks are VERY slow. They should both kill anything in one hit due to their speed. Throwing should also do good damage. I know its different for turn based but that would be a big help to us CTB fans.

Given the same equipment, characters, etc.. the player will ALWAYS have the upper hand even when outnumbered. Unless you put them close to combat and in harms way at the beginning of a map. Keep this in mind if you want to ruin a player's day by making something impossible or killing off some of their squad members.

The best uses for vehicles include speedy travel across the map, item storage, and protection during combat. It would be fun to have the opportunity to trade in and/or sell vehicles when they are no longer useful (like if you have a hummer you don't really need the scout anymore). If you want the player to grab and sell lots of loot then please let us use our vehicles in all the maps. It is easy to block off access. And don't make stuff weigh so much. Its a lot of wasted time having to cart around 80 pound weaponds (ahem, see again, Awaken). Item storage should not be a relevant issue in a tactical or RPG game unless you have a single character.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

Hey Bro,

Seems you know your way around...

I'm working on rescue missions, mission objectives that will not allow characters / squad members to die (mission failed is they do)

I do not plan to bring in robots... I want to do more with Reavers, Mutants and Raiders... Bring back the tactical feelings from the first few missions... The use of Vehicles is something I wish to add, just not give them out so easily... and when you finally get them, make use for them... not just one mission and gone...

The use of tactical characters is something I wish to add as well... Just need to find a good way to implant the idea's to the game.

I NEED SOME SERIOUS HELP !!! MAP BUILDERS !!! I'm not very good with maps... I can do all the trigger work, character design and all the other stuff... I just need someone to help me build the maps... I need someone dedicated and if we work together it doesn't even ask to much time... I a working on two maps right now... they were premade but I think I can use them to fit in... They are not from the original game... I just used the random encounter maps to add some more... problem is... they are not that big.... while these maps are for the beginning of the campaign... I do wish to add bigger maps then the ones I have now... SO I NEED HELP !!!

Please... anyone, I will finish this... Just need someone, 1 Map Builder who will finish this with me... the rest is taken care off...

Let me know,

Greetz,

Snake
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Mapping takes a long time so its a good chance you'll need to make what you need or cut and paste from various other maps. Using other's maps tends to look a lil shabby so I like to make my own. It usually takes a while too (weeks or longer). But I may start clipping buildings and/or objects that I want to use often and may upload later somewhere for d/l to others.

I may compile a list of mapping tricks and upload them. I think it would be good to have a list of generic map building tips.

Only thing I can really suggest to you is to start out making a fresh map. Get a general idea. Lay down a floor first. Hold shift and click several tiles that would look good. Then you hold in your right mouse button and drag it along, then release and there's your floor. Then go to walls section, use page up (once) and start placing walls. Always test and make sure you're on the right level (place then cut with ctrl - X). If you place and the tile is red or makes another one nearby red then its connecting. Just keep moving a little tiny bit away until its not glowing red. Then its right next to it. Use shift/left click to select tiles a lot and then hold right click to drawn walls, etc.. Its very hand for lots of stuff. Then you can cut and paste the wall to where you need it. Edging as you go. Mapping is a painstaking process but you'll get use to it. Before you know it you'll be making several storied buildings, sewers, caves, and more good stuff. Just make sure you forget about the story and put stuff there that you think would be cool or fit in with the town. You can always put in extra enemies and treasure later.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. " -John 3:16

Hopes. Dreams. You have to live these things. If not, they will remain prisoner within the confines of your mind for the rest of your life.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

For anyone doing maps...clips are essential. Note that.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

The problem is... I know so little about mapping... sure, placing a few tiles and entities... no problem... but the real stuff... hey, don't ask me cause I get confused with everything...

I dont even know what this "clip" stuff is...

Greetz,

Snake
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE

Post by PaladinHeart »

Its where you select a group of tiles "copy" them, and then use the "save clip" button. Copy is done with ctrl-c. Then when you need that clip again you just load and paste ctrl-v.

[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

Hmmm, that would make mapping a bit easier... but still I don't have the skill to do it alone,

So if any of you know someone who can help me... Let me know,

Greetz,

Snake
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

Isn't there anyone dedicated enough to HELP ME OUT !! ?? !!

I could really use some help...

Greetz
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Your main problem is...ALL of us are really board with map-making cause it's not easy. If there were spared one's, we'd snatch 'em for our projects on spot! Lol.

Cheers, flamescreen
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

Why not just combine a few projects into one... atleast it would sound alot more interesting...

I'd combine projects if there is a good lineup and if the storyline can be combined...

If anyone is interested... let me know !

Greetz,

Snake
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Fallout Tactics: Rules Of Engagement - Demo Available

Post by [Roe] Snake »

Hey There,

Fallout Tactics: Rules Of Engagement - Demo Is Available at No Mutants Allowed, let me remind you that this is an old version, it's just a test run and a little taste of things to come...

Also, to state that the demo is far from perfect and far from the end result we want to accomplish... We like to ask your help... if you are any good at map building and trigger work, please let us know by sending us an e-mail at: Snakediablo@hotmail.com

Download the demo version here:

http://81.58.39.162/fotroe/downloads/fot-roedemo1.0.zip
http://81.58.39.162/fotroe/downloads/fot-roedemo1.0.exe

You can also visit us at:

http://81.58.39.162/fotroe
Http://www.rules-of-engagement.tk

Greetz,

Snake

P.s: Download server might be down... this will take upto 10 minutes, then the system server is active again and you can continue downloading incase any connection to the server was lost.

In case of the server being down longer, we ask you to redirect youself to NO MUTANTS ALLOWED DOWNLOAD SECTION.
[Roe] Snake
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by [Roe] Snake »

Server Info Up-date:

The Webserver crashed last night, hardware failure !

Please redirect yourself to: No Mutants Allowed Download Section for further downloading of the demo version.

For any comments and/or questions you can contact me on: Snakediablo@hotmail.com
Our Host!