Arcanum: Magical Questions

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Arcanum: Magical Questions

Post by Max-Violence »

I just started a female elf magician and I've some Q's:

1) Do spells "level up" or anything? I.e. does Harm do 40ish damage to creatures with no resistance the entire game? If I put some points into, say, IN, do my spells get more powerful, or do they do X damage and that's that?

2) I don't get the deal with spells with durations. Take Fire Elemental for example. It says "FT: 50 (5/10 seconds)." WTF does that mean? The spell lasts 10 seconds, with 50 FT used every 5 secs?

3) Along the same lines, there's five little boxes at the top-center of the screen. I also note that if I cast two Sheilds of Protection (i.e. one on me and one on Virgil), I can't cast any spell w/a duration (i.e. Wall of Fire). How do I get more "blocks" available?

Edit: Found out the answer to #3 by reading the manual. However, does anyone know the exact ratio of IN points to blocks available?
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I'm guessing it may be one per five points.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Cheers Spazmo.

Damn, that's like... 25 IN! That's alotta IN! Well, I was going to plop a bunch of points into CN (more FT and faster FT regen!).

Wait a sec, I think my character has 8 IN, so mebbe it's 4:1 like CH and #Followers? Curious note that the game's description of IN says its "the limiting factor in learning tech and spells," but all spells have a level and WP requirement, no IN. Hermmmm.........

*MV double-clickities the Arcanum shortcut on 'is desktop*
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

You know, it probably is 1:4. I'm just a bit dim.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

Actually, it means that you will lose 5 fatigue for every ten seconds that elapse, to a maximum of 50 fatigue (100 seconds).

As for the leveling up of spells, a spell's power increases based on your magickal aptitude, nothing more.
One day...
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

bloodbathmaster2 wrote:Actually, it means that you will lose 5 fatigue for every ten seconds that elapse, to a maximum of 50 fatigue (100 seconds).
Actually, I just figured out that FT: 50 (5/10 seconds) means it costs 50 FT to case initially, with 5 FT being used for every 10 seconds. So, BBM2, you're half-right :D

And I wuz rite - "Magic blocks" and IN are a 1:4 ratio, jus' like #Followers and CH.
BBM2 wrote:As for the leveling up of spells, a spell's power increases based on your magickal aptitude, nothing more.
Arg... I attained 100 magickal (not quite used to spelling that with a K yet) aptitude a while ago...

Another mag question, sorta: Do any creatures have weaknesses? i.e. Fire Elementals weak to Water? I noticed, via Read Aura, that undead are resistant to everything. I wish undead were weak/non-resistant to fire, like in most fantasy/RPG games I've played (i.e. the Final Fantasy series n' stuff).

Well, thanks for the answers gents.
At the darkness inside.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

I'll settle with being half-right. I haven't played Arcanum in a looong time.
One day...
Our Host!