First-time poster needs help with weapon modding

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
algernon_reno
SDF!
SDF!

First-time poster needs help with weapon modding

Post by algernon_reno »

This is the first time I've posted on any Fallout forum, but this seems like as good a place as any to make a posting. I've recently started tinkering with modding utilities, especially the Fallout 2 Mapper and Fallout Item Changer. I want to make an AKS-74U SMG as a replacement for the 9mm Mauser, converting the ammunition type to 5mm. I've already converted the BMP image to FRM format, and but then I remembered that all the inventory art in Fallout and Fallout 2 are computer illustrations, not photographs. The image has a transparent background, and has the right kind of shading that might allow it to be passed off as hand/computer-drawn. But I'm not sure how it will appear in game. Any advice you could offer would be most appreciated.
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

Trial + Error = :D
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

thought the ak's took 7.62mm??

or was that 7.92mm?? i can never remember..?

as for the photergraf, like the guy said, trial and error..
Langy
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Langy »

The AK-47 used 7.62mm rounds, however, the AK-74 series of weapons uses 5.45mm rounds.

As to the original question, I don't think that the image should look too odd in-game. You'll just have to try it out and see if you like it or not.
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

To Algernon
Why don't you modify the picture of the AK in Fallout Tactics, you just need to shorten the barrel, make the magazine a bit less curved and get rid of the butt.

To ColJack
The AK model 47 fires 7.62x39 M43; the model 74 was designed for a new necked down version of the model 43 cartridge (5.45x39mm).
Our Host!