Flipping Ladders!

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

Flipping Ladders!

Post by captain_ben »

Where in the entities folder is the ladders/stairs???[filename?] I cannot for the life of sod find the darn entitity!! :(

yes i have looked in the old website and all there was,is how to do edit sprites and ladders,but ladders were never mentioned or explained??!
if you see the mentioning of ladders here,feel welcome to tell me
http://www.rpgplanet.com/fallout/tactic ... ren1.shtml

if it isnt quite so simple to add ladders like walls,charecters etc,i would be happy to recieve any help on how to make ladders/stairs....
[o_O]
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Ladders and stairs are not entities, but rather consist of tiles.

You can find the ladders in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\tiles\Generic tiles\Ladders

There is also a form of ladder in the Ruined City/Objects folder. Look for "Fire Escape" and you will find the tiles. The are single tiles that are 12 world units tall (1 story of a building) rather than the single world unit tiles found in the generic tiles/ladders directory.

You can find stairs in the following directories:

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\tiles\Industrial\industrial STAIRS (There are two types here.)

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\tiles\Junk City\Stairs

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\tiles\Robotic\Robotic STAIRS

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\tiles\Ruined City\Ruined city stairs

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\tiles\VAULT\Vault STAIRS

C:\Program Files\14 Degrees East\Fallout Tactics\core\tiles\VILLAGE\VillageSteps

Both stairs and ladders are a pain in the arse to build. I recommend building them on a blank portion of the map, then pressing the "Alt" key as you drag the selection bounding box around the tiles so as to select every level of tile, then cutting and pasting the ladder/staircase into position. I also recommend having the Tile Bounding Box turned on while working on stairs or ladders, so as to better be able to get them lined up correctly.

If you're dealing w/stairs, remember to leave a big enough hole in the upper story's floor for actors to get through w/o having to squat. This usually requires a 3 tile long gap in your floor. While staircases that you have to squat to get through have their uses, the AI can't seem to figure it out, so enemies will get stuck there.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
captain_ben
SDF!
SDF!

Post by captain_ben »

many thanks for the help...was banging my head against the wall..was also losing conciuosness.......
[o_O]
Jimmyjay86
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Here is my ladder building tutorial - I'm sure you'll need it:

Making Ladders:

1. Go to the "View" pull down menu at the top. Check "Show Tile Bounding Box".
2. Tiles for ladders are at Generic Tiles/Ladders. The segments show up very small, so in the "Tile List Scale" field change the number from 0.5 to 5 and hit enter. Pick the segment you want to use.
3. If your ground level is at 0 and your roof level is at 13, then start at level 13. Align the first segement next to the roof and click the left mouse button to position the segment. From now on be careful not to shift the mouse from that position.
4. Hit the Page-Down key to move down a level and gently hit the left mouse button again. Keep doing this until you get to level 1. If you have a mouse or keyboard with a thumb wheel this process will be much easier.
5. Go to the "Select" field at the top and while holding down the shift key, left click each segment and Page-Up to click the next segment. Do this for the whole ladder and the bounding box will have a blue tint to it.
6. Go to the "Tools" button and click the "Climbable" option.
7. That is all - it should work perfectly. If not, practice a few times.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Jimmyjay86 wrote:6. Go to the "Tools" button and click the "Climbable" option.
Using Tools/Update Tiles will import the "Climbable" flag for all of the stair tiles, as well as all of the other flags that are associated w/other tiles. *ahem* Except the Ruined City Type 5 Wall window tiles... *grumble, grumble*

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Jimmyjay86

Post by Jimmyjay86 »

Alright, I'll update the tutorial.
Our Host!