Advent of the official Editor

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Carib
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Advent of the official Editor

Post by Carib »

Where does that leave you all editors and modders.

Does the Editor allow full dialouge scripting and such and perhaps even Part member generation?
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Basically yes, but we already had compilers able to do that, so I highly doubt you'll see that much activity for JUST scripts.

The nice thing is that NEW maps work dandy, unlike the unofficial map editors which caused various problems when you edited the maps.

Given we now have proper control over maps, it's probable that more people will look into making dialog scripts.
Gameshark
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Gameshark »

Red maybe you could shead some light on this when I press "new script" on the menu at the top it just dons't do anything.
Red

Post by Red »

'Cauz you assign the scripts manually, not internally. You need to update scripts.lst, srcname.msg, make and compile your new script and then slap that into a PRO.

I'll look to see wether that item actually does anything clever behind the scenes later on when I have a bit more time.
Last edited by Red on Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carib
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Carib »

Damn, I am getting a friggin' nose bleed just thinking of the potential.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sirgalahadwizard »

Yeah, like being able to completly re-vamp the game (with the exception of character gfx).

We can already make new sounds, new inventory graphics, can make new ground tiles and gfx (as far as I know). Now we can make reliable maps too!
Red

Post by Red »

We can make new chracter graphics, only you'll need a lot of patiente...

The trick is using the GIF->FRM converter and using the FR0-FR5 sequences to render each direction (instead of defining all of them in the same file which the converter doesn't support).

Course I don't know many people with such patience, but you new know.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

How exactly do you name sprites that need to have multiple directions like that (ie, get the game to string all the files together and essentially "make" a multi-directional character or sprite)?

Can it be done with other objects, such as laser blasts or rockets? I noticed the header for those kinds of files isn't exactly comprehensive - each frame and direction is a different size (and there's a wild complexity of "flags" that are selected at the beginning of the header). I suspect there's also something like that for the gfx from the critter.dat too.

Also: I've created a new Font graphic page (a .bmp)... but the FFCon program keeps saying that it's a invalid BMP, though I know damn-well that it's valid because all of my paint programs can read it (and I made sure it was 16-color too). The readme file for the program is all in russian (or some other lang.) and all I can pick out is bits and pieces. Do you know how to get the blasted thing to work? (btw: it's also the right size too).
Red

Post by Red »

The FRM format is described fully somwhere. But it hardly matters since to make multi-direction nimations all you have to do is make 6 FR series, from FR0 to FR5.

The naming scheme is documented somewhere too, though the "animation -> critter.lst number" relation I bleive is only documented in Russian, though I think ABel made an automatic critter.lst updater.

You'll need to look for all of the on the net though, the only thing I can provide you offhamd is my own source to the FRM format in VB which I use in my viewer. The rest you can search on your own since I don't have them on my HD.

And I'm sorry but I don't know how the BMP->AAF converter works, never tried it.
TryKos
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by TryKos »

Hi there, folks.

To Red - making of multidirectional FRM is very easy with frmcat program placed on TeamX site. I used it and it works flawlessly. Making multidirectional scenery FRMs allows to do some neat tricks.
Get it here: http://www.teamx.ru/rus/files/utils/index.shtml

To Sirgalahadwizard

Heh, Im an author of FFCon 8) Sorry for Russian-only readme, program was intended to use for Russian localisation project. So I never thought that this program will spread over English Fallout sites.

I can translate readme if you want.
I strongly recommend use for editing exported bmp. You must convert standard fallout aaf to bmp, edit bmp in graphic program and convert result back.
Of cource, you dont want to remake all work again, so you can mail or icq me, and we surely figure this out.
In this world there are two kinds of people, my friend...those with Power of Moon Prism, and those who dig. You dig.
Red

Post by Red »

TryKos wrote:To Red - making of multidirectional FRM is very easy with frmcat program placed on TeamX site. I used it and it works flawlessly. Making multidirectional scenery FRMs allows to do some neat tricks.
Get it here: http://www.teamx.ru/rus/files/utils/index.shtml
As I just mentioned though the engine supports multiframed FRMs in seperate files anyway so other then to merge the files together there's not much point. Thanks for linking the tool though, I didn't even know there was one there seeing as I don't speack russian and couldn't really guess the "cat" meant "concatenate the FRMs for multiple directions".
TryKos
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by TryKos »

Yes, engine supports multidirectional FRMs in separate files. But, if you want to make one of already existing in Fallout FRM files into multidirectional, you MUST make them in one file. Because engine don't understands that 6 .FR0-FR5 files are mean to replace FRM file in master.dat.

And yeah, TeamX site exist in English (www.teamx.ru/eng) , but description of frmcat utility is sort of wrong here. This will be fixed soon.
In this world there are two kinds of people, my friend...those with Power of Moon Prism, and those who dig. You dig.
Sirgalahadwizard
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

I sent you several emails but they all bounced.

My image had some junk pixels in it (pixel information outside the white boxes) but I cleaned it up and it still doesnt work in ffcon.

In fact, I even took an unedited font image and re-saved it using my paint program (w/o making changes) and ffcon wouldn't read it, even though I made no changes and before I re-saved it, ffcon would load it freely.
TryKos
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by TryKos »

Very strange... about mail and about such a bug too...

Please, send me private msg, or ICQ - which kind of message you get with my mailbox and which program are you using for editing?

Your paint program MUST do not modify palette of image, because there is stored some aaf info.
Our Host!