I have some newbie Fallout editor questions

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Drazzil
SDF!
SDF!

I have some newbie Fallout editor questions

Post by Drazzil »

Hi there guys!

Guess this is my first post, so I guess Ill introduce myself.

I am a longtime Fallout fan since the original Fallout I have been lurking on these boards and visiting this site for about 2 years now, and I am really looking forward to making my own Fallout mods.

I have a few questions though

1. Are there any plans to update Dims utility to be Win 98 compatable?

2. I seem to be having problems with making my floor tiles on ground level, my floor tiles seem to be on roof level, is there an easy way to change this that I am missing?

3. Are there any plans out there to do any total Fallout 2 conversions with completely new adventures? (is this even possible?)

So there it is, all my questions
requiem_for_a_starfury
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Re: I have some newbie Fallout editor questions

Post by requiem_for_a_starfury »

Drazzil wrote:2. I seem to be having problems with making my floor tiles on ground level, my floor tiles seem to be on roof level, is there an easy way to change this that I am missing?
Page 5 of the Editor PDF guide, the Roof button (in the art object toggle panel) should be off (in) for laying floors, on (out) when laying roofs.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Re: I have some newbie Fallout editor questions

Post by Red »

Drazzil wrote:1. Are there any plans to update Dims utility to be Win 98 compatable?
Already is, has been since version .97 I think... 98 for sure (and it's at 98c now). Anyhoo the BOS editors are out now so this mattters little though there might still be nice hacks possible with Dims mapper which wouldn't be with the normal one.
2. I seem to be having problems with making my floor tiles on ground level, my floor tiles seem to be on roof level, is there an easy way to change this that I am missing?
Um, make sure you select the "edit floor button" and not the roof one?
3. Are there any plans out there to do any total Fallout 2 conversions with completely new adventures? (is this even possible?)
Yes it's quite possible but quite a long undertaking. I know of 2 projects now, one by FMF and another by the same people who did the awakened mod for FO:T.
SeanDMan2.0

Post by SeanDMan2.0 »

I'm making something of a TC. It won't be a TC since I won't be changing or adding weapons or armors, but it will have a new story and (once I know if it's possible or someone writes a FAQ for it) new NPC's for your party.
ColJack
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by ColJack »

got a website?
is it just you doing the TC?? or do you have a team?

and yes it is entirely possible to have new npc's you just need to code all of their dialogue.. and reactions and stuff..
wot's your storyline?
SeanDMan
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by SeanDMan »

No, I don't have a website. It's too early in development, but I will make one fairly soon, if only to store screen caps on.

It's mainly just me, but I do have a team. The reason I say it's mainly just me is because I wrote about 80% of the story, and have done concept art on it, as well, I am the only one who can get the mapper to work. I do however have two other people involved who have done modding on games like Half-Life and such, one of whom also used the Fallout Tactics editor fairly extensively, and is likely a far better mapper than I am. On top of that, I have someone who will be making original music for a few of my maps, and several people who have agreed to do pro-bono voice acting. I also recieved interest from Burgermeister about talking about our mods, and I was hoping (since it looks like he's dived right in and is making awesome progress) that we could work together, but he hasn't replied to my PM yet. Hopefully we can get together because he seems like a guy with a lot of good ideas.

And the NPC question was really before I had poked around in the editor much. Now that I see what's involved, I do indeed plan to include several NPCs. In true Fallout fashion however, most will be useless cannon fodder. Image

I don't really want to give away too much of the story, but there will be no thongs. The master has not been reborn, and ghouls didn't take over Navarro and become superteched rulers of the world. I plan to keep it very close to the themes of Fallout; the racism, desperation, and guarded optimism of the wasteland once again unfurling through a characters search... but for what, and from who, and where, I shall not reveal just yet. Image
Our Host!