Modding Problem!

Discuss the creation and scripting of new fan-made games and mods for the Fallout series of games.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Modding Problem!

Post by Raymondo »

I cant seem to find a fallout modding forum so I've just posted it here, hope thats alright :wink:

Anyway I'll get to the point, I'm a newbie modder, just started today. I've mostly been messing around I've created some new items with Fallout Items Mode Editer 1.1 then I put them into a patch000.dat file and made a map with them on using Mapper98c, now fallout won't load :?

Another thing I saw was that the items I've made have the same id number, will that make fallout crush if so how do I change them?
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

I suggest just putting stuff in the proper directories (with proper read-only attribute for .PRO files) after Fallout:

Items into Fallout2/data/proto/items, maps into Fallout2/data/maps.

Then run it... no need to update patch000.dat... You usually do that when you want to make your mod public so it's easyer for the end-uer to use - and even then with Fallout Mod Enabler from Dims you don't even need to do that, you just need to make a single DAT...
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Well Fallout 2 runs now but the first map won't load, its just black also everytime I put my items in Fallout2/data/proto/items they disappear (pros only) and my mapper keeps coming up with errors.
Red

Post by Red »

Yeah, well, there are not-so-known-known issues with mapper edited maps not working properly in the game. I don't know how to work around the problems though. Try working from the original map again and applying your changes 1by1 until the map stops working and perhaps report the problem once it starts to Dims.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Well thats the maps working :), thanks.

But I'm still having problems with the items disappearing in the Fallout2/data/proto/items dir
Corpse
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Corpse »

Have you set all the file attributes to Read Only?, if you don't the files will be deleted everytime you exit the game.
Red

Post by Red »

Yup, I mentioned that a few posts ago... read-only attribute! It's crucial!
Our Host!